toldailytopic: Absolute morality. Is the standard of right and wrong relative to ours

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocJohnson

You have to really stretch the definition of the word "worship" in order to make such a claim.

Heh. Not at all.

I don't "believe in nothing" - that's a metaphysical impossibility. It's more accurate to say that I don't really adhere strongly to anything other than the values I create of, by and for myself.

Is such a philosophy egocentric? Yes. Do I care? Not really.

And you think I'm stretching to call it self-worship?!!

fool

Hall of Fame
No, that's not true at all. Atheism is simply the belief that there is no external deity... so you worship yourselves instead.
We don't worship anything (the altars took up to much room).

Um, there is no reasoning behind believing in absolutely nothing.
I don't know of anyone that believes in nothing.

Son of Jack

As far as I'm concerned such things as "right" and "wrong" don't exist as anything more than ideas - so to ascribe a value of "right" or "wrong" to his actions would be entirely pointless.

My point, and I think you know what it was, is that such a system cannot adjudicate between claims, making it practically useless...enjoy that.

Since when do I care about society?

Since when did I accuse you of such a horrid thing?:shocked:

Hell for the weak and stupid, heaven for the strong and capable - it's all just a point of view...

Right, until it disagrees with your particular point-of-view...:rolleyes:

PS - Nietzsche eventually lost his mind...

Last edited:

Punisher1984

Heh. Not at all.

Worship:

noun 1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage: They attended worship this morning.
3. adoring reverence or regard: excessive worship of business success.
4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.
5. (initial capital letter) British. a title of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates and others of high rank or station (usually prec. by Your, His, or Her).

I don't pay homage to myself, nor do I consider myself sacred or worthy of adoring reverence or title. The only definition of worship that *could* be applied to my philosophy is #3 (which is more of a coloquialism).

So the answer is no - I don't worship myself.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's not "wrong" (nor "right") - but it is an afront to me and the values I have established for myself (hence I must enforce them when one trespasses against them in order for them to remain relevant).
With all due respect you are a complete moron.

You say it's not wrong to rape and murder, but you will kill to prevent it (or avenge it) because it violates your sovreignty.

Yet you can't even say that violating your sovreignty is a wrong doing in the first place. :rotfl:

Your atheism has caused you to be a irrelevant, laughable, buffoon.

Son of Jack

Society is a human invention.

Okay....who said it wasn't? We are all humans, no??

Each man is for himself

See my post regarding TH's question about morality and self-interest...

but each man quickly finds other men with similar goals and voila, society.

:thumb:

But...if you look carefully at Punisher's philosophy, society would instantly collapse if we all live consistently...that's all I was saying.

DocJohnson

Worship:

noun 1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage: They attended worship this morning.
3. adoring reverence or regard: excessive worship of business success.
4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.
5. (initial capital letter) British. a title of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates and others of high rank or station (usually prec. by Your, His, or Her).

I don't pay homage to myself, nor do I consider myself sacred or worthy of adoring reverence or title. The only definition of worship that *could* be applied to my philosophy is #3 (which is more of a coloquialism).

So the answer is no - I don't worship myself.

You do indeed have an adoring reverence and regard for yourself... and you are also the object of that adoration... therefore both 3. and 4. apply to you.

Punisher1984

My point, and I think you know what it was, is that such a system cannot adjudicate between claims, making it practically useful...enjoy that.

I don't much care for adjudication - I always preferred settling serious disputes with a show of power over arbitration by some outside power.

Since when did I accuse you of such a horrid thing?:shocked:

You haven't, but it seems you hold this artificially-created pyramid scheme in high regard...

Right, until it disagrees with your particular point-of-view...:rolleyes:

This world doesn't have a point of view - it just does things and I intend to be ready for them when they come. If I succeed I continue living, if I don't I cease to be: it's as simple as that.

PS - Nietzsche eventually lost his mind...

Due to a medical condition (diagnoses range from syphilis to brain cancer - we may never know for certain), not his philosophy.

DocJohnson

That's the system every human on this planet lives under.

Wrong. The vast majority of us engage in self-control and civility.

For example, if someone cuts me off in traffic, I don't feel compelled to blow his brains out just because he broke a traffic law.

fool

Hall of Fame
My point, and I think you know what it was, is that such a system cannot adjudicate between claims, making it practically useful...enjoy that.
It is useful as you point out.
And the adjudication goes like this; there two catagories of actions
1. actions that make Punisher1984 attack you
2. actions that don't make Punisher1984 attack you

Punisher1984

You do indeed have an adoring reverence and regard for yourself... and you are also the object of that adoration... therefore both 3. and 4. apply to you.

I don't ador myself nor grant myself undo reverance or regard - I merely recognise that values I create for myself serve my purposes better than values other people try to pawn off on me (and the same goes for everyone else). It's not blind faith or servitude of that which I create (as is the case with religion).

Like I said, #3 can be applicable but since that definition is lagely coloquial I don't count it...

Chalmer Wren

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 5th, 2009 09:48 AM

toldailytopic: Absolute morality. Is the standard of right and wrong relative to ourself? Or is right and wrong determined by God?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I don't think morality can be described absolutely or relative to a single person. I think of it in terms of quality of life. What sort of rules and standards ought to be applied to ensure the maximum quality of life for each individual? One could potentially derive many systems, and many rules will have both pros and cons. For example, a system that meets everyone basic need for food and shelter, but causes suffering by requiring restricted personal liberties. At the other extreme, a system the maximizes personal freedoms, which causes suffering by failing to censor certain kinds of media, or to prevent cultural, religious, and economic conflict.

DocJohnson

I don't ador myself nor grant myself undo reverance or regard - I merely recognise that values I create for myself serve my purposes better than values other people try to pawn off on me (and the same goes for everyone else).

So, you're saying you don't really respect yourself... which really makes more sense considering your entire outlook on life.

It's not blind faith or servitude of that which I create (as is the case with religion).

You fail to understand religion... including your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.