toldailytopic: Are pro sports organizations liable for the longterm injuries that the

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's the player's responsibility to protect himself.
If I invite you onto my land, even if I do so in order for you to provide a service by which you profit, I have an obligation at law to make sure the property is safe. I'm still liable for dangers presented by the land. I'm even responsible for a danger I wasn't aware of but which existed as a condition of the land.

This is an extension of that principle. :e4e:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What? And ruin all the fun?

Seriously??

Players like to make big hits and fans like to see it.

My guess is that you didn't play contact sports, am I right? That;s the only reason I can imagine that you would make such a statement. It wouldn't matter if you were on camera or not players are still going to try to make the "big hit". Why? Because it's fun and that's part of the game.
I didn't mean to imply that the only reason players make big hits is to get on Sportscenter. Not at all. ESPN could cease to exist and the players would still try to make big hits. I'm just saying that when ESPN has segments devoted to big hits, it feeds into it. Maybe we should change the culture.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
If I invite you onto my land, even if I do so in order for you to provide a service by which you profit, I have an obligation at law to make sure the property is safe. I'm still liable for dangers presented by the land. I'm even responsible for a danger I wasn't aware of but which existed as a condition of the land.

We're talking about a Football field. There is nothing safe about it. You're gonna get hurt. Guaranteed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We're talking about a Football field. There is nothing safe about it. You're gonna get hurt. Guaranteed.
Sure. Doesn't alter the principle or obligation. You can't host knife fights and seek to protect yourself from liability using that rationale either.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I didn't mean to imply that the only reason players make big hits is to get on Sportscenter. Not at all. ESPN could cease to exist and the players would still try to make big hits. I'm just saying that when ESPN has segments devoted to big hits, it feeds into it. Maybe we should change the culture.

You can't decry concussions and demand greater safety for players on the one hand, then glamorize and sex up the violence on the field.

About Warner's comments...the interesting thing is that the guy didn't even bash the game; he simply said it's dangerous, could be safer, and that he wouldn't want his kids playing it. Suddenly Warner's a traitor to the NFL for wanting the game to be safer?

zippy2006

Colosseum culture :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

That might be a good point if the players were being hurt by falling lighting equipment, or toxic fumes from the ventilation system.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That might be a good point if the players were being hurt by falling lighting equipment, or toxic fumes from the ventilation system.

The problem is that deception is (or at least was) being used--if a player is told he's good to go even though the team knows full well he's at risk of an even greater injury after he's already sustained one, that isn't just "part of the game." That's not what these guys signed up for. Putting yourself in the hands of a medical team and coaching staff who will sacrifice you for the good of the sport is simply rotten. They're supposed to be there to watch out for the players, not roll dice with their lives.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
The problem is that deception is (or at least was) being used--if a player is told he's good to go even though the team knows full well he's at risk of an even greater injury after he's already sustained one, that isn't just "part of the game." That's not what these guys signed up for. Putting yourself in the hands of a medical team and coaching staff who will sacrifice you for the good of the sport is simply rotten. They're supposed to be there to watch out for the players, not roll dice with their lives.

It's far more likely that players will hide their injuries so they can play than it is a coach forcing them to play despite their injuries.

But leave it to a lib to blame the 'man'.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, liberalism has killed sports.
Eh, one man's liberalism is another man's attempt to keep the haves from exploiting the poor. It all depends on your perspective, but in any event that's the way the law leans and has for some time.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am waiting for the defense teams in this sort of case to propose that much of the health damage was due to performance enhancing drugs that the players used in secret. If the teams make this claim, they better be able to prove they were not a part of it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am waiting for the defense teams in this sort of case to propose that much of the health damage was due to performance enhancing drugs that the players used in secret. If the teams make this claim, they better be able to prove they were not a part of it.
Unless they knew or should have known/failed a reasonable responsibility to monitor evidenced in their policies on that point. MLB would have a real problem pretending McGwire and Sosa and Bonds looked just fine to them as they put up stratospheric numbers at a point in the career of non steroid using athletes where they DH or fade away, by way of example.

All12Cylinders

My guess is that you didn't play contact sports, am I right?

Well, I'm guessin' the libs on this forum did, the difference is that instead of uniforms w/ numbers, and cleats, they wore pink shorts, leather boots, no shirts, and tassels - oh, instead of stick-em they used lotion. No fist fights, only slap fights and hair pullin'.