toldailytopic: Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 25th, 2009 12:17 PM

toldailytopic: Christmas.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Regardless of the origin and the accuracy of the date, Christmas still represents the birth of Jesus. It represents the gift that God gave us in His Son Jesus.

The entire world is reminded on this day that Jesus came to save us.

Don't allow the details and distractions to ruin this opportunity to share Jesus with your friends and family.

Alate_One

Yeah! but I still want to argue for more Resurrection Day awareness. ;)

I'd love to be with friends and family cept there is a snowstorm and the spouse has to work today. :bang:

BarefootTalmid

Totally enjoying it with my wife and 22-month-old son. We are trying to establish some Christmas traditions just for us. Some things we decided to do every year: bake cookies for Santa, have a fire in the fireplace (no matter how warm, lol), watch traditional Christmas movies, sing carols together (with me accompanying on guitar), and open one present on Christmas eve.

I know, I know. We such party animals.

PKevman

In the midst of enjoying a Christmas with my family, these are some things I was thinking about:

Christmas is the time of year where so many people (people of faith and people not of faith alike) seem to become more kind and caring about others. I have always found it so interesting for example how different people will act on Christmas and then how they will act any other day of the year. People who wouldn't normally let you get over on the freeway for example. It seems like everywhere I look on Christmas people are far kinder, cheerier, and more understanding.

I thought about this a little further, and I think there is a spiritual and Biblical reason behind this. Bear with me....

Christians are given the gift of the Holy Spirit when they put their trust in Jesus Christ. The Bible tells us that we are literally sealed with the Spirit of God. He comes to live within us, and is a huge part of our daily lives. What does this have to do with the difference in behavior on Christmas?

I believe that more people (especially Christians) are drawn to focus on their relationship with God on Christmas. They think about Jesus, talk about Jesus, often PRAY to Jesus, sing about Jesus....etc.... MORE than at any other time of the year. I am not saying it SHOULD be this way. We as Christians should pray, sing, etc... about Jesus all year long.

A byproduct of so much focus on God leads people to act and behave in a more Godly way. When we are exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit (as Christians), the Bible says we should be exhibiting THIS:
"love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (See Galatians 5:22-23)

As people of faith behave more this way, it leads the world around us to do so as well.

The challenge:

DO IT ALL YEAR LONG CHRISTIANS! Allow the Holy Spirit to so fill your lives that you are impacting everyone around you with the fruits of the Spirit. Follow the Bible's instructions and "walk worthy" of Christ.

Paul said this:

9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Do those things in 2010 and beyond on a more frequent basis, and we truly can still change the world. I believe that....do you????

God bless everyone and Merry Christmas!!!

elohiym

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

The Graphite

Yeah! but I still want to argue for more Resurrection Day awareness. ;)

I'd love to be with friends and family cept there is a snowstorm and the spouse has to work today. :bang:

Resurrection Sunday is my favorite time of the year (with Christmas only my 2nd).

:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.