toldailytopic: Do you support the Personhood movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
no, I am saying the only realistic approach to eliminating legal abortions is to get conservative judges on the court
We all agree that is a factor.

Would you agree that it's possible (and even wise) to fight abortion on many fronts?

Furthermore.... Personhood is merely the proper framing of the debate. Without the personhood movement all other efforts fall into the "abortion regulation" category.

Personhood will never go away from here on out because it's personhood that properly sets the standard for why abortion is wrong in the first place (all living humans are persons and deserve protection under the law).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I consider the following attributes to indicate personhood:

- self-awareness
- ability to function independent of a host organism (can breathe, feed and move on own accord)
- ability to express and act on will

A fetus possesses none of these traits, thus I do not consider it a "person."
So by your standard you believe that anyone who is in a coma is no longer a person and does not deserve protection under the law.

That's a very perverted position to hold.

elohiym

From Roe v. Wade:

The appellee and certain amici argue that the fetus is a "person" within the language and meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. In support of this, they outline at length and in detail the well-known facts of fetal development. If this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant's case, of course, collapses, for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the Amendment. The appellant conceded as much on reargument. 51 On the other hand, the appellee conceded on reargument 52 that no case could be cited that holds that a fetus is a person within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

That has changed. We now have fetal homicide laws that recognize the fetus is a person. People have been convicted of murdering a fetus.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
From Roe v. Wade:

That has changed. We now have fetal homicide laws that recognize the fetus is a person. People have been convicted of murdering a fetus.

so how come it is still legal to kill you baby before it is born?

WandererInFog

The U.S. Supreme Court cannot find personhood unconstitutional.

Sure it can. It would be completely wrongheaded in doing so, but that's hardly proved a serious obstacle in the past.

Now, for my own part, I've gradually come around to seeing pursuing personhood amendments via direct referendum as a solid part of the strategy for re-criminalizing abortion in the United States, but it's not a silver bullet that will completely fix everything by itself.

WandererInFog

On what possible grounds could the SCOTUS find personhood unconstitutional?

Just off the top of my head? They could rule that it conflicts with the federal laws they use to establish a Right to Privacy and that the federal laws trumps the state ones. They could rule that by granting citizenship at birth, federal law establishes that as the time when personhood begins which thereby trumps any attempt on the part of the state to establish personhood at a different time. And given someone who has decades of legal experience and large staff I'm sure they could come up with far more ways to rule against it.

The basic problem is that most of the judges on the court, right and left, do not really judge cases based on their individual merits. They start from a foregone conclusion based on their political philosophy and find a way to justify it. And if one is willing to engage in a sufficient level of sophistry, one can craft an argument supporting pretty much anything.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
but you are not supporting my front

and

that is getting conservative judges on the courts
Of course I support that effort.

I may not agree your strategy for accomplishing that goal is correct, but of course I support trying to get conservative judges on the court.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
right now we have at least three judges on the Supreme Court that do not have a problem with partial birth abortion

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Of course I support that effort.

I may not agree your strategy for accomplishing that goal is correct, but of course I support trying to get conservative judges on the court.

what is your strategy to get conservative judges on the court?

One Eyed Jack

I consider the following attributes to indicate personhood:

- self-awareness
- ability to function independent of a host organism (can breathe, feed and move on own accord)
- ability to express and act on will

A fetus possesses none of these traits, thus I do not consider it a "person."

An animal does. Do you consider them to be persons?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Personhood is a powerful movement because it not only fights battles at the local and federal level but more importantly it works on the hearts of the people by properly framing the debate in a way that's tough to argue with (i.e., all living humans are people that deserve rights).

Son of Jack

So by your standard you believe that anyone who is in a coma is no longer a person and does not deserve protection under the law.

That's a very perverted position to hold.

Are you surprised?? The problem is that he isn't the only one. Peter Singer holds this exact position. Google him and you'll see why that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.