toldailytopic: Does God require those in the Body of Christ keep the Law?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 22nd, 2012 05:36 PM

Ten+Commandments+2.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Jordan Fontenot

The law was only meant to show us right and wrong. When Jesus came and was crucified he nailed the old law to the cross and gave us a new covenant and better one too, as it mentioned in Hebrews. We are free under the new law, but we should still hold to the ideals set in the old law.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 22nd, 2012 05:36 PM

Ten+Commandments+2.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No, The Righteous Shall Live By Faith!

Gal. 3:8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you all the nations will be blessed.”
Gal. 3:9 So then, those who are of faith are blessed with the faithful Abraham.
Gal. 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse. For it is written, “Cursed is everyone who doesn’t continue in all things that are written in the book of the law, to do them.”
Gal. 3:11 Now that no man is justified by the law before God is evident, for, “The righteous will live by faith.”

:cool:

Jordan Fontenot

No, The Righteous Shall Live By Faith!

Gal. 3:8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you all the nations will be blessed.”
Gal. 3:9 So then, those who are of faith are blessed with the faithful Abraham.
Gal. 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse. For it is written, “Cursed is everyone who doesn’t continue in all things that are written in the book of the law, to do them.”
Gal. 3:11 Now that no man is justified by the law before God is evident, for, “The righteous will live by faith.”

:cool:

No man is justified by the law but don't forget faith when not coupled with good works is dead James 2:14

Cruciform

Does God require those in the Body of Christ keep the Law?
If by "the law" you mean the Torah, or Mosaic Law Code---what Paul refers to as "works of the law" (Rom. 3:20)---then the answer is no. If, however, you mean obedience to the commands of Jesus Christ (God's moral "law")---what Paul describes as "faith working through love" (Gal. 5:6) and "the obedience of faith" (Rom. 1:5), then yes.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
No man is justified by the law but don't forget faith when not coupled with good works is dead James 2:14

John 6:28 ¶ They said therefore to him, “What must we do, that we may work the works of God?”
John 6:29 ¶ Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

oatmeal

Romans 13:10

"Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

heir

TOL Subscriber

No!

Romans 3:21-22 KJV But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Romans 10:4 KJV For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No. Jesus Christ fulfilled all the obligations of the Old Covenant of Works (Law) and his spiritual children have all been re-established by God's grace, under the New Covenant of Grace.

Nang

Jedidiah

Dear Knight,

When a man does Ro10:9, he fulfills Php2:11 and has surrendered once and for all, his will to the risen Lord Jesus Christ. He becomes a Christian. A Christian is an individual member of the Body of Christ 1Co12:12, and the Body of Christ is literally the risen Lord Jesus Christ here on earth, His flesh and His bones Eph5:30. Everything the man does from then on is the Lord doing it in and through him Gal2:20.

There is nobody who keeps the Law perfectly.

So there are either no Christians, or God does not require those in the Body of Christ to keep the Law.

In Him,
-Jed

zippy2006

If by "Law" you mean Jewish law, then no.

If by "Law" you mean the moral law, then yes. That was one of Jesus' core commandments (Mk 12:31).

Paul is also pretty straightforward about keeping the moral law (Rom 8:12-13). His entire letters to the Corinthians are dealing with immoral lifestyles (1 Cor 6:8-10, 1 Cor 5:5). But we love our neighbor through God's grace and the Spirit, not through our own power. There is no room for boasting when the law is fulfilled through the spirit.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If by "Law" you mean Jewish law, then no.

If by "Law" you mean the moral law, then yes. That was one of Jesus' core commandments (Mk 12:31).

Paul is also pretty straightforward about keeping the moral law (Rom 8:12-13). His entire letters to the Corinthians are dealing with immoral lifestyles (1 Cor 6:8-10, 1 Cor 5:5). But we love our neighbor through God's grace and the Spirit, not through our own power. There is no room for boasting when the law is fulfilled through the spirit.

1 John 2: 3-4

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
If we are walking in the Spirit which of the 10 commandments will we deliberately break?

Grace is a much higher principle than the law, now if we walk not in the Spirit we are not sinning but we will have not the joy or the peace or the love of God manifest in our lives. What unhappy creatures we shall be...do you know anybody like that?

We will backslide, we fall back into the ways we had before we were saved and God WILL judge us for it, not at all to the loss of our salvation but He will punish deliberate sin in the life of the believer and we shall suffer great loss.

Moreover we will lose God's guidance for our lives, we will make mistakes, we will find our way hedged about with thorns. We will get hurt.

Keep short accounts with God breths, He will faithfully show you sin, as soon as He does mend your ways. Even human friends do this if they want to maintain fellowship, our fellowship is with God.

Last edited:

AlephTav

If you're asking whether God requires us to keep the law for our salvation, the answer is no.

If you're asking whether God requires us to keep the law for a blessed life and to honor Him, the answer is yes. If you keep it, you will be blessed. If you don't, you will be cursed.

Deut. 11:26-28 "Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse: 27 "the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you today; 28 "and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside from the way which I command you today, to go after other gods which you have not known."

Exodus 19:5-6 "Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; 6 and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.”

Matt 5:17-19 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
See ST I-II, q. 98, a. 5 (corpus).

"I answer that, The Old Law showed forth the precepts of the natural law, and added certain precepts of its own. Accordingly, as to those precepts of the natural law contained in the Old Law, all were bound to observe the Old Law; not because they belonged to the Old Law, but because they belonged to the natural law. But as to those precepts which were added by the Old Law, they were not binding on save the Jewish people alone.

The reason of this is because the Old Law, as stated above (Article 4), was given to the Jewish people, that it might receive a prerogative of holiness, in reverence for Christ Who was to be born of that people. Now whatever laws are enacted for the special sanctification of certain ones, are binding on them alone: thus clerics who are set aside for the service of God are bound to certain obligations to which the laity are not bound; likewise religious are bound by their profession to certain works of perfection, to which people living in the world are not bound. In like manner this people was bound to certain special observances, to which other peoples were not bound. Wherefore it is written (Deuteronomy 18:13): "Thou shalt be perfect and without spot before the Lord thy God": and for this reason they used a kind of form of profession, as appears from Deuteronomy 26:3: "I profess this day before the Lord thy God," etc" (St. Thomas Aquinas).

HisServant

Natural Law idea = bunk. Given that our natures are now sinful to their core, espousing a "natural law' is nothing more than logical wrangling that leads to sin (pretty much exactly what Adam and Eve did).

Jesus basically asked us to take on a new mindset when he was questioned about the law. The Jewish leaders had centuries to build on, expand and create loop hole associated with the 10 commandments, so much so, that the spirit of the Law was lost. I.E. observance to the law because more of a religious activity instead of a Godly activity (sounds exactly like the issue I see in Roman Catholicism these days).

By institution the golden rule, and having our minds set on the purpose of what the 10 commandments were supposed to be all about, we peel away all the religiousness appended to the 10 commandments, and in actuality, we are abiding by a much higher standard and we do so out of love, not out of obligation or religiousness in front of others.