toldailytopic: Does the old saying, "The Captain goes down with his ship" still apply

NarrowWay

Awww, shucks!
LIFETIME MEMBER
toldailytopic: Does the old saying, "The Captain goes down with his ship" still apply

TOL TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 17th, 2012 9:50 AM

toldailytopic: Latest news reveals conversation between Italian Coast Guard and the Captain of the capsized Cruise Ship and that he had abandoned ship while passengers and crew members were still on board and trapped. Does the old saying, "The Captain goes down with his ship" still apply today?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MrRadish

There's no reason for a captain to go down with his ship if it's possible for him to escape.

There is a reason for a captain to do his job properly and be present to help his passengers get out first.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Does the old saying, "The Captain goes down with his ship" still apply today?

No and it never did. The Captain should be the last to leave his ship once all others have been accounted for and those living have departed.

The Captain going down with the ship was during the early period when Captains owned the ship and all cargo onboard, a large percentage of Captains that lost thier ship also lost everything they owned and money's invested in the venture so many did in fact choose to go down with the ship.

rexlunae

Here's the transcript of the Captain's communication with the port authority. Seems like it got pretty heated between them.

Transcript

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
There are going to be many, many lawsuits against the cruise line.

As well as against the Capt! In fact the cruise line will be able to sue the catain since he was sailing in dangerous waters (not following the cruise lines normal charted course) and the passengers will be able to sue the Captain.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Does the old saying, "The Captain goes down with his ship" still apply today?
I guess not (Isa 5:20, 2 Ti 3:2-3). :plain: Captain Coward Broke Honor Code

Jerry: So you feel "women and children first," in this day and age, is somewhat of an antiquated notion.
George: To some degree.
Jerry: So basically, it's every man, woman, child, and invalid for themselves. Seinfeld. Re 21:8

Last edited:

rexlunae

As well as against the Capt! In fact the cruise line will be able to sue the catain since he was sailing in dangerous waters (not following the cruise lines normal charted course) and the passengers will be able to sue the Captain.

I doubt the captain could really provide meaningful compensation to anyone compared to the cruise line. Combine that with the fact that the cruise line is responsible for the captain's conduct as an employee, and I think the captain's biggest worry is prosecution for how he handled the situation.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I doubt the captain could really provide meaningful compensation to anyone compared to the cruise line. Combine that with the fact that the cruise line is responsible for the captain's conduct as an employee, and I think the captain's biggest worry is prosecution for how he handled the situation.

Depends on his license insurance, most of us carry large policies, its kind of crazy not too considering the value of property and lives involved.

rexlunae

Depends on his license insurance, most of us carry large policies, its kind of crazy not too considering the value of property and lives involved.

I'm guessing that after today, no one will give him license insurance. But yeah, his insurance company may be able to offer some sort of compensation.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Latest news reveals conversation between Italian Coast Guard and the Captain of the capsized Cruise Ship and that he had abandoned ship while passengers and crew members were still on board and trapped. Does the old saying, "The Captain goes down with his ship" still apply today?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

huh? Yes, we need some topic suggestions. So, let's all help out!

One suggestion : what do you make of the seven 'deadly' sins, are they a good guide, on mark, this is just a topic suggestion, not thread hijacking, besides, I am sleep writing.:sleep:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I'm guessing that after today, no one will give him license insurance. But yeah, his insurance company may be able to offer some sort of compensation.

Usually they go after the company (cruise line) simply due to the money involved but Captains are sued in court over wrong death issues and by the ship company when it can be proven that the Captain was not on course (if the company stipulates the courses)
or some other problems such as drunkeness/drug usage.

The Captain will be able to get insurance if he is cleared of any criminal charges but his premium is going to be sky high, not sure he will find a ship company that will hire him though.

This guy will probably not be Master of any sizable ship in the future, if he is able to retain his licesense after the Coast Guard Court of Inquiiry is finished with him.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I would say it is the Captain's responsibility to get everyone else off-board safely first, and then he needs to save his own butt.

It seems like that is the thinking behind the old saying "The Captain Goes Down With The Ship" but, like everything else in society that saying has degraded into "Every Man For Himself" sadly. :sigh:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Down with the ship. alright. I think of God sometimes as my captain, He is not going down with the sinners. So?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a reason for a captain to do his job properly and be present to help his passengers get out first.

Then he has to stay until they are off. It is his fault. Aside from a torpedo or something similar.

some other dude

Fault doesn't figure into it. It's a matter of responsibility. The captain is responsible for the safety of the passengers in his care.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

It should apply today, because the captain is still responsible (or should be responsible) for seeing that the other passengers and crew are safe/taken care of to the best of their ability since it is the ultimate supervisory position on the boat.

Charity

hehe
the captain goes down with the ship even if he's not responsible?

If its some other numskulls fault then he whom ever; is not deserving of seating his bottom in a life vessel; even if Jesus paid for his sin with his life. christian maths against all the other lives lost is semi acknowleged amongest further tripe an onions; faith an etc... let the captain make the numbskull float an swim an see if the Lord has mercy on his life. having been paid extra; risk an responsibility money as watcher an amediate judge... smile

Last edited: