toldailytopic: Gluten-free food. What do you think of the gluten free craze?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 16th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I recently read that if it is processed to make it gluten free the additives are almost, if not completely, worse for you than the gluten.

I have been told I should avoid gluten because of my condition [for lack of a better term], but it's hard as so much food has gluten, and as I said the stuff that has the gluten extracted could be worse for you. Not to mention the price.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
There is a book called Wheat Belly. It goes into details about how wheat has been hybridized so that wheat fields produce smaller plants with larger tops. The wheat we have today is nothing like the wheat years ago. It's browner and shorter. Hybridized means that through the years they have taken different strains of wheat to make a higher-yielding wheat.

Doctors now days are recommending gluten free or wheat free diets for people with diabetes and high cholesterol also for obesity. There are some studies that say that some people can avoid medications for diabetes and high cholesterol by going wheat free.

My youngest son has lost 58lbs. He lost it in 5 months by going wheat free. He wasn't overweight to begin with but he says he just didn't feel comfortable at the weight he was.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 16th, 2013 05:00 AM

If you do not have an allergy or a sensitivity to gluten then you should not be eating a gluten free diet. As a European said-Americans have a strange fixation with diets. "Wheat Belly' is actually caused by eating too much food. Americans eat too much food.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I recently read that if it is processed to make it gluten free the additives are almost, if not completely, worse for you than the gluten.

I have been told I should avoid gluten because of my condition [for lack of a better term], but it's hard as so much food has gluten, and as I said the stuff that has the gluten extracted could be worse for you. Not to mention the price.

I don't believe that gluten is extracted from foods it either is made without gluten or by not adding gluten. Gluten is hidden in many foods and is found in some artificial flavorings and colorings.

We use almond flour or coconut flour for cooking and baking.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Wheat has a higher glycemic index than sugar. Part of the reason people eat too much is because of the yo yo effect and cravings that wheat causes.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Wheat has a higher glycemic index than sugar. Part of the reason people eat too much is because of the yo yo effect and cravings that wheat causes.

I thought I was just gutty....carry on, I respect that you take this subject seriously, acknowledge that I should too....

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If you do not have an allergy or a sensitivity to gluten then you should not be eating a gluten free diet. As a European said-Americans have a strange fixation with diets. "Wheat Belly' is actually caused by eating too much food. Americans eat too much food.

Too many Americans do eat too much food, I agree. But it's an interesting hypothesis held by the doctor who wrote that book:
–Gliadin is the most abundant protein in wheat, contained within gluten polymers.

–Gliadin of 2012 is different from the gliadin of, say, 1960, by several amino acids, part of the genetic transformation of wheat introduced to increase yield-per-acre.

–Gliadin is degraded to a collection of polypeptides called exorphins in the gastrointestinal tract. Exorphins cross the blood-brain barrier and bind to opiate-receptors to induce appetite, as well as behavioral changes, such as behavioral outbursts and inattention in children with ADHD and autism, hearing voices and social detachment in schizophrenics, and the mania of bipolar illness.

–People who consume gliadin consume 400 calories more per day; people who remove gliadin reduce calorie intake by 400 calories per day.

The high-yield, semi-dwarf strains of wheat, invented in the 1960s and 1970s, was introduced to North American farmers in the late 1970s, who adopted it over the next decade. By 1985, virtually all wheat farmers were growing this high-yield strain. (Can you blame them? Per-acre yield increased about 10-fold, provided sufficient nitrate fertilizer was applied.)

I don't know about the claims related to ADHD, autism, etc. - but I do know of people who've found it really beneficial to take themselves off wheat. I tried it myself, just to see if I felt better off than on. Overall... I felt better off wheat. Could be the power of suggestion, I know. :)

Last edited:

LKmommy

Why is this such a problem "these days". What else is in foods that are being passed on to the public that seems to make people's bodies now "react" to gluten?

Then again, it is boosting new overpriced product lines. Someone is profiting somewhere and when this craze is overcome, what will be the "next issue" be (that man created for himself)?

LKmommy

Too many Americans do eat too much food, I agree. But it's an interesting hypothesis held by the doctor who wrote that book:
–Gliadin is the most abundant protein in wheat, contained within gluten polymers.

–Gliadin of 2012 is different from the gliadin of, say, 1960, by several amino acids, part of the genetic transformation of wheat introduced to increase yield-per-acre.

–Gliadin is degraded to a collection of polypeptides called exorphins in the gastrointestinal tract. Exorphins cross the blood-brain barrier and bind to opiate-receptors to induce appetite, as well as behavioral changes, such as behavioral outbursts and inattention in children with ADHD and autism, hearing voices and social detachment in schizophrenics, and the mania of bipolar illness.

–People who consume gliadin consume 400 calories more per day; people who remove gliadin reduce calorie intake by 400 calories per day.

The high-yield, semi-dwarf strains of wheat, invented in the 1960s and 1970s, was introduced to North American farmers in the late 1970s, who adopted it over the next decade. By 1985, virtually all wheat farmers were growing this high-yield strain. (Can you blame them? Per-acre yield increased about 10-fold, provided sufficient nitrate fertilizer was applied.)

I don't know about the claims related to ADHD, autism, etc. - but I do know of people who've found it really beneficial to take themselves off wheat. I tried it myself, just to see if I felt better off than on. Overall... I felt better off wheat. Could be the power of suggestion, I know. :)

So it was the fresh bread my relatives shoved down my throat with every meal that gave me ADD? Very interesting and something to distract me through research.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Some folks have trouble with gliadin. I am one of them. But not everyone has a gliadin sensitivity. A wheat free diet isn't for everyone.

No, of course not. It's a food staple, for sure.

I just wanted to try avoiding it, to see if I felt better in any way. Surprisingly, I did.