toldailytopic: If Christ walked among us today how would He be received by Catholics,

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Old thread, posting anyway.

Catholics would still wait for Mary, Protestants would think they were left behind, and atheists would deny he's here.

What's this ? Catholics wait for the 2nd coming of Mary ? I DID NOT know that, please tell us more. What, pray tell, does Mary have to do with salvation ?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
What's this ? Catholics wait for the 2nd coming of Mary ? I DID NOT know that, please tell us more. What, pray tell, does Mary have to do with salvation ?

Other than that she's the COREDEEMER in Catholic theology and they pray to her more than God, I guess not a lot :idunno:

The way they go about it, it's surprising they don't believe in a coming of Mary to be perfectly blunt.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Other than that she's the COREDEEMER in Catholic theology and they pray to her more than God, I guess not a lot :idunno:

The way they go about it, it's surprising they don't believe in a coming of Mary to be perfectly blunt.

I was going to say that - Do they expect Mary to return to save them too ?

sevenarrows

Yes but he would have harsh words about the need to be so dependent on icons and law of the church, Ie the Catechism. It really means something about thier understanding of Christ fulfilling the law when the church has lawyers specially trained to write and enforce the Catechisms.

Sent from my VS835 using TOL mobile app

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Good question,....but complex................

Good question,....but complex................

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 7th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: If Christ walked among us today how would He be received by Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Agnostics, and Atheists?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Of course such is a hypothetical question :) - so much would depend on the demograph and personal belief-system of each person reflecting their own condition and receptivity of 'Jesus', which is wholly beside the adjoining question of what 'version' of 'Jesus' you are referring to :sherlock: - AND, if it could even be determined if the subject is the 'Christ' spoken of in the gospels, again...hypothetically speaking.

I've dived into some recent scholarly methodology and vigorous re-questioning of the historicity of Jesus and the mythicist view of the 'Christ-story', and will give a book report on Lataster's book 'Jesus did not exist - a debate among atheists' - for more on this see the recent posts in my 'cosmic cafe' thread here & here.

Also with this inquiry must be considered the difference of modern day cultural-context in which a 'Christ-figure' would be received compared to the 'narrative-context' presented in the gospel stories, and other factors that may affect reception among different catagory-types of people within society...and thats just for starters ;)

marhig

If Jesus came again today as he did last time, the world, and those who claim to love God yet love their flesh before God, would put him to death again just as they did before, and have been doing since to those who bare witness to the truth starting with the apostles and in every generation since. And if they are not putting those who truly follow him to death, they are putting him to death within their own hearts, crucifying him afresh. Every time that they profess to love him with their lips, yet live by the lusts of their flesh, and not living by the will of God. Those who truly love Jesus will be doers of the word, and not hearers only giving just lip service. They live by the will of God, bringing forth the fruit of the Spirit and you will see the love of God and the life of Christ lived through them.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
If Jesus came again today as he did last time, the world, and those who claim to love God yet love their flesh before God, would put him to death again just as they did before,

Jesus says He will not come the same way.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If Jesus came again today as he did last time, the world, and those who claim to love God yet love their flesh before God, would put him to death again just as they did before..

Um let me correct this before you get more and more unbiblical:

John 10:17The reason the Father loves Me is that I lay down My life in order to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from My Father.”

marhig

Um let me correct this before you get more and more unbiblical:

John 10:17The reason the Father loves Me is that I lay down My life in order to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from My Father.”
Unbiblical?

Ok Can i ask you something?

John 15

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends

Does this mean that if we love others, then we should be naturally crucified for them? What do you understand these verses to mean? Thanks

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Answers begin to be discovered with more research....................

Answers begin to be discovered with more research....................

I'm still a little disappointed I didn't get an answer.

Hi rexy :)

I imagine you've gotten used to being 'disappointed' with various theists over the years, but have learned to roll with the punches ;)

Perhaps it is that they dont really know besides the more obvious problem of even identifying Jesus if he appeared as an ordinary man, unless he comes by way of a supernatural wave of apocalyptic fervor and glory, on a white horse or cloud, that its only 'assumed' that everyone would know....."hey,...its Jesus!".

So, I would refer back to my previous post noting scholars developing more stringent objective methodology for historical studies, which include examining if there is enough evidence to support a historical Jesus in the first place, and if a more mythical model or some other synthesis of probable happenings account for the gospel narratives and the development of Christianity as we know it etc.

We come back to all this being merely 'hypothetical', and that there really is no contemporaneous evidence recorded about the Jesus of the gospels (that is by non-christian historians/recorders during Jesus life time and serveral decades later), OUTSIDE of the gospel stories themselves.