toldailytopic: Infant baptism: what do you think of it?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
A baby is innocent unless God wants innocent babies to burn in hell for eternity before they've been able to make a decision about God.

I don't believe God, who is LOVE, would do that, still I see NOTHING wrong with making parents feel better, even if they're wrong, to have their babies baptized before they're old enough to sin.

The reason the Catholic denomination holds onto infant baptism is because it helps support their doctrine of purgatory. They believe in Limbus Infantum it is a place that is on the edge of death so they baptise babies because they don't think God will save them unless they pass through the Catholic church first.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But anna, that's not in the Bible. Don't you think the Bible is complete?

It's not in the Bible, but it is history.

The Bible is inerrant, but a lot more happened than what is put in the Bible. John 21:25
And there is nothing that says we cannot follow traditions not listed in the Bible, passed on from the early Church. 2Tim. 2:2

I'm not offended at all by your question. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The reason the Catholic denomination holds onto infant baptism is because it helps support their doctrine of purgatory. They believe in Limbus Infantum it is a place that is on the edge of death so they baptise babies because they don't think God will save them unless they pass through the Catholic church first.

It's sad to see people have such a politicized view of baptism, as if it was designed for power or control.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
It's threads like this that make me happy that I understand the Gospel of Grace given to Paul (also known as MAD).

The purposes of Baptisms and Circumcisions is so eloquently discussed in Bob Enyart's book The Plot.

tudorturtl

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 5th, 2011 10:22 AM

toldailytopic: Infant baptism: what do you think of it?

I have mixed feelings on the subject actually! my view of babtism is very similar to my view of marriage, in that you are making a commitment to God, and for that reason one should be of age to "consent" However I also see that in other cultures marriages are decided by the parents and that this method can also work PROVIDED that both parties do actually honor their father and mother as instructed by scripture.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have mixed feelings on the subject actually! my view of babtism is very similar to my view of marriage, in that you are making a commitment to God, and for that reason one should be of age to "consent" However I also see that in other cultures marriages are decided by the parents and that this method can also work PROVIDED that both parties do actually honor their father and mother as instructed by scripture.

Welcome. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The Martyrdom of Saint Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna,
as Told in the Letter
of the Church of Smyrna
to the Church of Philomelium

Text

Polycarp 69-155 A.D. (86 years old):

3But the proconsul was insistent and said: "Take the oath, and I shall release you. Curse Christ."

Polycarp said: " Eighty-six years I have served him, and he never did me any wrong. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?"
I think there's every reason to believe by the above that Polycarp was baptized as a baby. :think:

elected4ever

as Told in the Letter
of the Church of Smyrna

Text

3But the proconsul was insistent and said: "Take the oath, and I shall release you. Curse Christ."That is like saying, "I have served my King my whole life." It is not proof of anything but his life lone dedication to his King which I applaud. If I told you that I have served my King for 69 years but you knew that that I was not baptized until after my 14th birthday, would you call me a lier or would you recognize my life lone service to my King?

Polycarp said: " Eighty-six years I have served him, and he never did me any wrong. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?"
I think there's every reason to believe by the above that Polycarp was baptized as a baby. :think:

elected4ever

as Told in the Letter
of the Church of Smyrna

Text

3But the proconsul was insistent and said: "Take the oath, and I shall release you. Curse Christ."That is like saying, "I have served my King my whole life." It is not proof of anything but his life lone dedication to his King which I applaud. If I told you that I have served my King for 69 years but you knew that that I was not baptized until after my 14th birthday, would you call me a lier or would you recognize my life lone service to my King?

That is like him saying, "I have served my king my whole life" It is not proof of baptism.

If I told you that I have served my king for 69 years but you know that I was not baptized until after my 14th birthday would you call me a lier or would you recognize a life lone dedication to my King?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That is like him saying, "I have served my king my whole life" It is not proof of baptism.

If I told you that I have served my king for 69 years but you know that I was not baptized until after my 14th birthday would you call me a lier or would you recognize a life lone dedication to my King?

Take the histories as a whole. They repeatedly mention the baptism of infants and children. Knowing that, and looking at his words, it's not hard for me to imagine that he also was baptized as an infant.

elected4ever

Take the histories as a whole. They repeatedly mention the baptism of infants and children. Knowing that, and looking at his words, it's not hard for me to imagine that he also was baptized as an infant.
Then you must also recognize that the statement by Polycarp is not proof that he was baptized at all but his baptism is a preferred understanding dictated by your imagination that is aligned with what you were taught.

I don't know about you but I have found that a good many things that I was taught as a youth are not so.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Then you must also recognize that the statement by Polycarp is not proof that he was baptized at all but his baptism is a preferred understanding dictated by your imagination that is aligned with what you were taught.

Ah, so you're wanting me to recognize a preferred understanding dictated by you instead?

I don't know about you but I have found that a good many things that I was taught as a youth are not so.
Some things politically, but my basic religious beliefs are the same.

elected4ever

Ah, so you're wanting me to recognize a preferred understanding dictated by you instead?
Not in the least. But it is dangerous to read things into a narrative that are not there. I would urge caution in using such statements as proof of a teaching. You may well have other proofs to guide you but remember we are fallible creatures.

touched

I hope that's a joke. There's been many a thing done in the name of Christianity that was/is wrong. It's still wrong to kill women because they thought they were witches and I think the vast majority of Christians and certainly non-Christians would agree.

We're human after all and the misogyny was rampant for a long time.

Definitely a joke and so is the value of infant baptism as far as being a representation of salvation an individual is the only one who can make the decision to come to Christ and baby dedications Can only be useful as a way of symbolizing that the parents wish to be held accountable for how they intend on teaching their children