toldailytopic: Is it immoral for an employer to offer a health insurance plan which i

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
So murder isn't wrong if it's done by non-Christians?

I asked the same question and the only response I got was a negative rep, with the comment, "grow up."

You have to hand it to Stan, he knows his debate limitations.

GuySmiley

Screwdrivers can be used in other useful manners that don't usually result in harm or injury. In fact, their intended use is something other than causing harm or injury.

Can you same the same about abortion?
No, but I can say the same thing about health care plans, which is what the employer is offering. I dont think anyone offers strictly abortion plans.

Would it be moral for an employer to offer a health care plan that provided coverage for murdering any other human being, or does the employer's responsibility or lack thereof only come into consideration when an unborn child is being murdered?
Yes, it would be moral. The employer's responsibility never comes into consideration, even if an employee decides to have an abortion, because the employer has no responsibility over the employees decision.

GuySmiley

The employers do pay for part of it, though.
True, but they have no financial incentive for people to use the plan. Employers have the opposite incentive, to encourage people NOT to use the plan, although that opens them up to liability if they tell people not to go to the doctor.

Employers should do the morally right thing.
Yes, everyone should. The example of shopping at stores that donate to Planned Parenthood comes to mind for me, because its not a moral mandate to boycott those stores. The shopper is not responsible for how the store spends the store's money. But it is a good thing, or admirable, if someone chooses to boycott the store.

I see this the same way. Its ok for an employer to offer health insurance, they shouldnt feel any guilt about it. Its not a sin. But if an employer chooses to drop coverage and face the consequences, then that's admirable.

Is it immoral for the insurance company to cover abortion?
Good question.

StanJ53

So murder isn't wrong if it's done by non-Christians?

Trust you to NOT know the difference between contraception and abortion. Not surprising for someone who hates on the LGBT community all day long. I'm surprised you crawled out of your hole to address anything else.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
No, but I can say the same thing about health care plans, which is what the employer is offering. I dont think anyone offers strictly abortion plans.

Yes, it would be moral. The employer's responsibility never comes into consideration, even if an employee decides to have an abortion, because the employer has no responsibility over the employees decision.

I agree. Health insurance is a benefit that is basically required in many fields if you want to attract any employees at all. If the morning after pill is mandated for coverage by our brilliant leaders, it is not on the employer, especially since it is still the choice of the employee to use it or not. Similar to paychecks. Is it immoral to pay employees, since they could buy morning after pills with the money?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Is it immoral to pay employees, since they could buy morning after pills with the money?

Interesting question.

Is it immoral to provide the means for someone to act immorally? :think:

I would have to say yes, if you knew they were going to act immorally.

Those who choose to use the abortion coverage in the health care in question are going to be acting immorally by definition.

Therefore offering them the opportunity to act immorally is immoral itself.

Unless you can show an alternate scenario where someone who chooses to use the abortion coverage is acting morally. :idunno:

GuySmiley

Interesting question.

Is it immoral to provide the means for someone to act immorally? :think:

I would have to say yes, if you knew they were going to act immorally.

Those who choose to use the abortion coverage in the health care in question are going to be acting immorally by definition.

The bolded statement is true, but offering a health insurance plan does not guarantee an employee will use the morning after pill.

Therefore offering them the opportunity to act immorally is immoral itself.
This is way too broad to be true. I have children. Does giving them life count as giving them the opportunity to act immorally? How about lending someone a pair of scissors, they may murder someone with them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You have to hand it to Stan, he knows his debate limitations.
And he still hasn't answered.

See:
Trust you to NOT know the difference between contraception and abortion. Not surprising for someone who hates on the LGBT community all day long. I'm surprised you crawled out of your hole to address anything else.
That's not at all an answer to the question.:nono:

True, but they have no financial incentive for people to use the plan.
I didn't say otherwise.

Employers have the opposite incentive, to encourage people NOT to use the plan, although that opens them up to liability if they tell people not to go to the doctor.
Irrelevant.

Yes, everyone should. The example of shopping at stores that donate to Planned Parenthood comes to mind for me, because its not a moral mandate to boycott those stores. The shopper is not responsible for how the store spends the store's money. But it is a good thing, or admirable, if someone chooses to boycott the store.
Am I responsible for what someone does with money I give them if I know murder is one of their options? I mean, it would be my money, i.e. I would be paying for it.

Good question.
Thank you.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Would we even be debating this if the OP had read:

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 15th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it immoral for an employer to offer a health insurance plan which includes the opportunity to rape and murder small children without being punished for it?

how about

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 15th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it immoral for an employer to offer a health insurance plan which includes the opportunity to murder six million Jews without being punished for it?

GuySmiley

Would we even be debating this if the OP had read:

how about
It is not up to the employer to decide if the plan covers raping and murdering small children, it is mandated by the government, in your example. You can buy the plan, and the employer can subsidize it, AND expect you to act morally. The plan can be used for legitimate good reasons also.

Which side would you be on it the OP read:

Is it immoral for an employer to offer company vehicles which give employees the opportunity to run over grandmas.

How about: Is it immoral to give your child a baseball bat which gives him the opportunity to murder his friends?

quip

BANNED
Banned
It is not up to the employer to decide if the plan covers raping and murdering small children, it is mandated by the government, in your example. You can buy the plan, and the employer can subsidize it, AND expect you to act morally. The plan can be used for legitimate good reasons also.

Which side would you be on it the OP read:

Is it immoral for an employer to offer company vehicles which give employees the opportunity to run over grandmas.

How about: Is it immoral to give your child a baseball bat which gives him the opportunity to murder his friends?

Well, the primary (designed) purpose for baseball bats and company cars are not homicidal ones. Just sayin. :)