toldailytopic: Is lying to an animal immoral?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 6th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I don't know, but My mom told me it would not hurt when I went to the dentist and it hurt like hell.

She told me it would not hurt when the nurse gave me a needle, but it hurt like hell.

She told me she would not let me go in deep water, but she let me go.

It was the way in those days.

I told my kids it would hurt and they never complained about it.

When I could not find something small to belt my 17 year old son with and picked up a heavy hose instead and belted him like hell, I thought he would leave home but he just wimpered a bit. He knew he deserved it.

I stood up to my dad once and he belted me to the ground. I never did it again and it helped me more than I realized at the time.

Tune in for more episodes

LA

zoo22

I don't know, but My mom told me it would not hurt when I went to the dentist and it hurt like hell.

She told me it would not hurt when the nurse gave me a needle, but it hurt like hell.

She told me she would not let me go in deep water, but she let me go.

It was the way in those days.

I told my kids it would hurt and they never complained about it.

When I could not find something small to belt my 17 year old son with and picked up a heavy hose instead and belted him like hell, I thought he would leave home but he just wimpered a bit. He knew he deserved it.

I stood up to my dad once and he belted me to the ground. I never did it again and it helped me more than I realized at the time.

Tune in for more episodes

LA

Why are you going on about beating your son like hell with a heavy hose?

Why do you call beating "belting?"

Is that avatar picture a picture of you in prison?

image_php_u_10015_dateline_1394263890.jpg

csuguy

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 6th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Is lying to a human a sin? It can be if used maliciously (example: false witness), but there is no general condemnation of lying in the scriptures. In fact, telling the truth can be a sin if done maliciously as well - such as leaking secrets to an enemy. Scriptures notes how God has even blinded people so that they would believe lies. I think one needs to delve further than simply whether one is telling the truth or not - we need to look at what is being communicated, why, and what the reasonable results of such information (true or false) will have on others, especially from the perspective of the one communicating said information.

Sometimes it is even beneficial to withhold truth from someone who is not ready for it. Example: it would probably pretty easy to make a new Christian stumble by pointing out all the (supposed) theological errors of the denomination/church they started attending - pitting doctrine vs doctrine against someone whose faith is not well-rooted yet and who lacks a real familiarity with the scriptures.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
At the table recently, one of our cats started scratching at the door to be let out. My youngest daughter obliged but the second she had got up to assist, the cat jumped up onto her chair and started eating her food.
Sauce for the goose?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Since I see all lying as being immoral, I'm going to have to go with, "yes" on this one.
All lying is immoral, but lying only applies to people, not animals or inanimate objects.

You can't lie to an animal, because it doesn't even know the difference between truth and falsehood.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since I see all lying as being immoral, I'm going to have to go with, "yes" on this one.

Joshua 2 gives the story of Rahab that hid the Israelite spies & helped them to escape, and lied to the authorities searching for the spies.

In the NT we see that she was justified for what she did.

James 2:25 KJV
(25) Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?​

Hebrews 11:31 KJV
(31) By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.​

Perhaps lies are like killing ...... guilt depends on the motive.
"Thou shall not kill" did not apply to the death sentences prescribed for certain crimes committed.