toldailytopic: Life on other planets: what are the spiritual implications?

dgerst

Obviously the spiritual implications of credible evidence of intelligent life on another planet would be huge. I'm betting that won't happen though. If it were so I expect we would have seen some cool interstellar Ferrari parked on the White House lawn by now. My understanding of the Bible leads me to beleive Earth is pretty unique as well.

It's interesting to speculate and ponder though.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
If God made other intelligent beings, they are also subject to Adam's curse and in need of salvation.

You're trying to say that Adam's cause would effect someone, or a theoretical race of beings completely unrelated to him, living in another solar system. Nonsense.

The creation spoken of in the scripture is specifically addressing this world Nick.

Think outside the box for a change.

PS. Who gives a rip anyway? There is no proof that there is intelligent life anywhere in the entire universe except for one place....here.

What Nick said is not stupid it is Biblical. If and we all know that's a really big if but still the question is asked. "If life on other planets was to be found" and Nick said "intelligent beings" not moss or mold. Then as a Christian who believes that God created everything in the Universe then as a Christian I would be required by my belief that God created everything to look at those "intelligent beings" through the only Creator known. If intelligent beings were found on another planet I would automatically judge their spiritual implication on my God's earthly, spiritual and human Creation.

Ted L Glines

Every now and then...:eek:

I'm sure why they would just assume that. I think that sort of assumption makes God seem kind of small. Even ancient cosmologists, like Ptolemy, believed the universe was incredibly vast (though not to the extent that we do today). God is all-powerful. Certainly He could have made the universe to include many intelligent beings that we don't know about.

What would that have meant to the very first readers of the Pentateuch? In what way would such knowledge benefit them? Moreover, what would that really mean to us? Course, that's the question of the thread, and again, I'd answer that it means very little in changing how one should understand God the Creator.

Hmmm ... on the planet Ferrite, in a galaxy far away, silica-based life has developed beings of living metal and plastic and transisters. Their god is The Omnipotent Omniscient Robot (since they believe they were made in OOR's image). They destroy any life form which is illogical since such life would be heresy (would this be a problem for humans as well as for we Christians?). Would this pose spiritual implications?

When we assert that God created life, we assume that carbon-based life was/is His only choice, but He may not be thus limited; maybe it is our understanding of God the Creator which is retarded.

Last edited:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
When we assert that God created life, we assume that carbon-based life was/is His only choice, but He may not be thus limited; maybe it is our understanding of God the Creator which is retarded.

Our human understanding of God is not retarded. We would as Christians (at least I would) assume that if other intelligent life was found that their purpose for life is the same as ours as put forth in the Bible as God the Creator of life.

Would I judge the "spirit" - the intellect, will and emotion of those beings. You bet I would.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

I say this, Guyver says "whatever".

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Kmo, the whole of creation suffers from the fall. You need to pay more attention in Paul's letters.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

And in the end a new heaven and a new earth will be created. Will this other planet from where these other life forms came be re-created too? :think:

The idea about all of us, and all of creation, being taken up in the fall is generally because we are all tied to Adam. That isn't true for beings from a different planet.

ghost

Hall of Fame
There is only One source of life, so what are we talking about when we say "life on other planets"

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Why are you asking why?

I am just doing what Kmoney does on a daily basis. He never has the guts to put forward his own position. I don't even think he has even ever bothered to have a firm opinion. I wonder if he is even sure what his name is. The thing is though, he sure is quick to find the tiniest flaw in someone else's argument even though he never bother to put forth one of his own.

I was just doing my best imitation of him.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I am just doing what Kmoney does on a daily basis. He never has the guts to put forward his own position. I don't even think he has even ever bothered to have a firm opinion. I wonder if he is even sure what his name is. The thing is though, he sure is quick to find the tinies flaw in someone else's argument even though he never bother to put forth one of his own.

I was just doing my best imitation of him.

I like to ask questions. I'm not sure why you view that as a bad thing. :idunno: I'd rather ask questions than make assumptions.

elohiym

There is only One source of life, so what are we talking about when we say "life on other planets"

Good point.

Whatever life may be out there, it is animated by the breath of life given by God Almighty, in my opinion.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
diversity in unity.......

diversity in unity.......

Other civilizations, communities of sentient beings living on other planets in other galaxies/universes.

Yes, there is only One Universal Father-Mother, One Infinite Spirit. Following from my 2 posts on page 2, we consider again that life on other planets would be subject to their own special conditions, history, predispositions, so that they might not need a program of 'salvation' in the extact way that we have here on this planet. To assume that all other planets must undergo a plan of salvation or be subject to a theological belief-system such as formulated on this one, is an unfounded assumption.

In an evolving universe of millions of inhabited worlds, its logical to assume that each planet would vary in their evolutionary unfoldment and have different culture-conditions affecting their progress.

There are no spiritual implications that affect 'us' necessarily, if other planets follow along their own lines of spiritual development, salvation or liberation in the Father's eternal plan. This might expand us further to consider that even on our own planet, there are more ways than just one religious cult or tradition, that souls can know and experience God who is a universal power and presence. 'God' is the one divine reality that alone is absolute in this world and all worlds, - the great diversity of culture, religious tradition/mythos and methodoligies are 'relative' to the various conditionings of man's psyche and culture.

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
One Essence, many forms.....

One Essence, many forms.....

Good point.

Whatever life may be out there, it is animated by the breath of life given by God Almighty, in my opinion.

A logical opinion, assuming there is only One Supreme Being, or Universal Presence from which all originates and emenates in its various substance and forms.

pj

ghost

Hall of Fame
Other civilizations, communities of sentient beings living on other planets in other galaxies/universes.

Yes, there is only One Universal Father-Mother, One Infinite Spirit. Following from my 2 posts on page 2, we consider again that life on other planets would be subject to their own special conditions, history, predispositions, so that they might not need a program of 'salvation' in the extact way that we have here on this planet. To assume that all other planets must undergo a plan of salvation or be subject to a theological belief-system such as formulated on this one, is an unfounded assumption.

In an evolving universe of millions of inhabited worlds, its logical to assume that each planet would vary in their evolutionary unfoldment and have different culture-conditions affecting their progress.

There are no spiritual implications that affect 'us' necessarily, if other planets follow along their own lines of spiritual development, salvation or liberation in the Father's eternal plan. This might expand us further to consider that even on our own planet, there are more ways than just one religious cult or tradition, that souls can know and experience God who is a universal power and presence. 'God' is the one divine reality that alone is absolute in this world and all worlds, - the great diversity of culture, religious tradition/mythos and methodoligies are 'relative' to the various conditionings of man's psyche and culture.

pj
I'm just curious, do you often see kids gathered in front of your house pointing in your direction and laughing?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
brain vacancy.......

brain vacancy.......

I'm just curious, do you often see kids gathered in front of your house pointing in your direction and laughing?

I'm curious if you have the capacity to engage in an intelligent dialogue responding properly to what was proposed, or is that beyond you?

pj

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And in the end a new heaven and a new earth will be created. Will this other planet from where these other life forms came be re-created too? :think:

Isn't other planets are part of the creation? Isn't that answered by Paul in the verse I showed?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
consider infinity....worlds without end.....

consider infinity....worlds without end.....

Isn't other planets are part of the creation? Isn't that answered by Paul in the verse I showed?

This depends on Paul's inclusion of what he meant by 'creation', if he was referring to only his limited knowledge of this creation (limited to this earth and its associated heaven). Other planets in other galaxies or universes may likely evolve and undergo transformation in their own timing, their own evolutionary cycle. - assuming that each planet has its own special conditions and conditioning in the continuum of space and time.

Also, my point previously stands, that there is no reason or proof that supports an assumption that Adam's sin on this planet in any way affects life on other planets in this or other galaxies. One can only 'assume' or 'speculate' such beyond what is revealed or probable.

pj