toldailytopic: Should assisted suicide be legalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A reasonable post.
I wonder if in some cases a refusal to let someone go, or a reluctance to support assisted suicide, is more about those who will go on living rather than those who wish to die...
...prolonging the inevitable.
But I do not support assisted suicide either.​
What's merciful about prolonging the inevitable? Whose benefit is that really for?
That is a very good question. Under normal circumstances death is simply something that occurs sooner or later depending on the vicissitude's of life. But every life is unique. Not every situation is unique. I cannot, in good conscience, ask one of my loved one's to murder me. There are instances wherein keeping a dying person comfortable is what is called for. That means "No Heroics", no life sustaining measures are continued. The potential for abuse of legalized euthanasia is far ranging and dangerous, IMHO. bybee

What bybee said, thanks bybee.

If legalized assisted suicide becomes a reality, then euthanasia will become a reality where the dying are helped out just a little quicker.

I think that somewhere along the line of days, weeks, months and years, somebody has given a suffering someone an extra measure of pain killer that wonder hasten on the dying process.

Sometimes I think before I post, or my mind cannot keep up with my fingers, and recognizing that my electronic communication skills are less than stellar.

My intent was to post . . . The living prolong the dying which is the inevitable end. There are cases where the living cannot let go of the dying. I understand holding out for that treatment, or that sure cure, maybe it is hope against hope; yet there comes a point when comfort care/hospice is the best care.

While I do not agree with assisted suicide, I think there is a point when a family member or friend should realize that for the afflicted comfort care is now the best care to give, that I do not see it as giving up, but as providing merciful, kind and loving care. Let life ebb away until it is over. There are medications that will ease pain and discomfort, and make it less difficult for the dying process. The healthcare facility where I am a Chaplain, there are several residents that on comfort care and are being administered a morphine drip.

I really did try to keep my fingers from failing into the cracks of the keyboard and my mind focused on the topic. I hope all this verbiage I have explained that I believe in mercy and comfort for the terminal, and that I do agree with assisted suicide or euthanasia.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If you don't believe in prolonging suffering and agree that sooner or later people need to accept the inevitability of death, there is no reason to oppose assisted suicide. Any other position is pretty inconsistent.

PureX

I should have the right to decide who can live, how they live, and how they die; not them. I should have this right because I am righteous, and I therefor know better than anyone else who should live and who should die, and how they should live and how they should die. My moral beliefs are the yardstick by which all other human beings should be made to live, for their own good.

;)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I should have the right to decide who can live, how they live, and how they die; not them. I should have this right because I am righteous, and I therefor know better than anyone else who should live and who should die, and how they should live and how they should die. My moral beliefs are the yardstick by which all other human beings should be made to live, for their own good.

;)
It's God's right, and if you don't like it... tough.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 13th, 2010 11:03 AM

toldailytopic: Should assisted suicide be legalized?

No. It's self murder and then having someone help the person makes the assistant a murderer too. People that try to kill themselves need help, not assistance in offing themselves.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
passively allowing nature to run its course.

Passively allowing nature to run its course is not suicide.

Suicide is sinful because it is the epitome of man defying God's rule in his life.

Adam committed suicide when he rebelled in the garden, and look at the physical and spiritual results for all his family!

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Passively allowing nature to run its course is not suicide.

Suicide is sinful because it is the epitome of man defying God's rule in his life.

Adam committed suicide when he rebelled in the garden, and look at the physical and spiritual results for all his family!

That was not suicide... it doesn't even seem like spiritual suicide, but you cannot conflate that with what the question is asking.

Why would God want to make people suffer when they do not want to live?

I do realise that as a Christian it's likely you'd oppose it because... if they kill themself they're either going to heaven or hell... and if they take the shortcut they shouldn't deserve heaven because they haven't followed God's plan...

But there are people you've already stopped trying to enforce your morality on... people of other religions don't fall under your jurisdiction, or at least it seems you've given up, (compromising, integration, etc).

Granite

Hall of Fame
No. It's self murder and then having someone help the person makes the assistant a murderer too. People that try to kill themselves need help, not assistance in offing themselves.

We're not talking casual suicide attempts here. We're talking terminal cases with no prospect of relief and no hope for recovery. The alternative, as always, is to prolong the suffering of the dying in the name of preserving the comfort of the living. That doesn't strike me as just in any sense of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.