toldailytopic: TSA Naked body scans and full body "pat downs" for airline passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I would like to make one more statement, then drop it.

"Heck with these people, I do not need them and they have nothing I need" "I do not need to ride on their areoplanes"

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Either submitting to naked pictures/patdowns (even with an attitude), or not flying, is exactly what they consider victory. I don't think there is a solution.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Scanned if you do,
Hand if you don't...

...fined if you leave.

I just watched the video at CNN.com of TSA head Pistole admitting that the pat downs are INVASIVE. That's his own word folks. He admits they are invasive and still supports them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Scrap the TSA. Hire Israeli security agents.

I like the Israeli method but it really does best in a small country with one major airport. Here, it'd certainly cause delays and be cumbersome. But I'd prefer a system of thorough Q&A to this molestation.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Since Traditio didn't take me up on my offer to respond to what I wrote in his "Ha Ha" thread, I'll post it in here and ask for answers:

While it's still important that law enforcement agencies do painstaking intelligence work on groups and/or individuals with terrorist ties, the age of innocence in air travel is over. The unmentionable has happened (the cold blooded murder of civilians, children included) and there is no going backwards on this. Be it a group of traveling Mohammeds, (or whatever terrorist group that wants to make a name for itself), or some sole nutjob that wants to have his name in history books as taking out 297 passengers on Flight...., air travel will never be the same.

I'll give an example why racial profiling alone won't work (i.e. allowing granny to walk through without examination):

While in Anytown USA International Airport, 80 year old Mildred Jones is approached by a nice Middle Eastern couple who strike up a conservation with her. After learning that Mildred is enroute to Cleveland to visit her daughter and her darling little grandchildren, the couple politely asks her to carry a "package" on her body through airport security for them. They explain that it's a harmless package and they would do it, but they'd been hassled by airport security before.

When Mildred says "No, I better not", they reply by saying something like "Our associates in Cleveland are watching your daughter and grandchildren, and if that package doesn't arrive on the flight with you, they will (a grisly detailed description of what will be done to her family if Mildred doesn't cooperate).

Mildred of course is horrorifed by what was just said, and will do anything to keep her family from being harmed.

What Mildred didn't know was that plastic explosives was being taped to her body by Mrs. Mohammed inside the toilet stall.

Thoughts?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Since Traditio didn't take me up on my offer to respond to what I wrote in his "Ha Ha" thread, I'll post it in here and ask for answers:

While it's still important that law enforcement agencies do painstaking intelligence work on groups and/or individuals with terrorist ties, the age of innocence in air travel is over. The unmentionable has happened (the cold blooded murder of civilians, children included) and there is no going backwards on this. Be it a group of traveling Mohammeds, (or whatever terrorist group that wants to make a name for itself), or some sole nutjob that wants to have his name in history books as taking out 297 passengers on Flight...., air travel will never be the same.

I'll give an example why racial profiling alone won't work (i.e. allowing granny to walk through without examination):

While in Anytown USA International Airport, 80 year old Mildred Jones is approached by a nice Middle Eastern couple who strike up a conservation with her. After learning that Mildred is enroute to Cleveland to visit her daughter and her darling little grandchildren, the couple politely asks her to carry a "package" on her body through airport security for them. They explain that it's a harmless package and they would do it, but they'd been hassled by airport security before.

When Mildred says "No, I better not", they reply by saying something like "Our associates in Cleveland are watching your daughter and grandchildren, and if that package doesn't arrive on the flight with you, they will (a grisly detailed description of what will be done to her family if Mildred doesn't cooperate).

Mildred of course is horrorifed by what was just said, and will do anything to keep her family from being harmed.

What Mildred didn't know was that plastic explosives was being taped to her body by Mrs. Mohammed inside the toilet stall.

Thoughts?

:chuckle::nono::rotfl:

Your assuming that Mildred will not pick up on the scam, "old people" does not equate to "stupid people".

Profiling does help, Security screening is even better and due to the nature of this type of terrorist activity it is here to stay (unfortunately), so we need to get used to it and hope that better screening systems will be coming in the near future.

Newman

The TSA's new screening procedures are invasive and unconstitutional. They are in direct violation of our right to privacy, which comes as a derivation from all three of our inalienable rights to life, liberty, and property. The solution is to boot the TSA and give the responsibility for security to airlines and airports.

It's already kind of happening: http://www.examiner.com/libertarian-in-national/florida-airport-to-opt-out-of-tsa-screening

If I were in charge, my version of plane safety would be offering each ticket holder over 18 years old a handheld taser that is fixed on a low setting. It's non-lethal, wouldn't sacrifice cabin pressure with use, and it would take more than one taser-wielding passenger to bring down an in-flight threat. Arming flight attendants with higher-powered, projectile-type tasers could also be a good idea.

One good thing that airlines have done is that they have reinforced the cockpit doors and armed their pilots. It seems that it would be impossible to turn a plane into a missile with those measures.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
The TSA's new screening procedures are invasive and unconstitutional. They are in direct violation of our right to privacy, which comes as a derivation from all three of our inalienable rights to life, liberty, and property. The solution is to boot the TSA and give the responsibility for security to airlines and airports.

It's already kind of happening: http://www.examiner.com/libertarian-in-national/florida-airport-to-opt-out-of-tsa-screening

As in most of what we develop! We will decide what it is we wish to accomplish, design what machinery/organization we think will accomplish it, put it into action and then modify it as we find all the little loop holes we didn't think of or the things we are doing incorrectly. Eventually we will have an acceptable working system.

I really don't think the Airlines should have much say in security though, they are a profit margin business and will make decisions with that in mind.

If I were in charge, my version of plane safety would be offering each ticket holder over 18 years old a handheld taser that is fixed on a low setting. It's non-lethal, wouldn't sacrifice cabin pressure with use, and it would take more than one taser-wielding passenger to bring down an in-flight threat. Arming flight attendants with higher-powered, projectile-type tasers could also be a good idea.

Yeah right! Then you will have passengers using their tasers on each other when ever some fool gets uncomfortable, can't stand the snoring of the guy next to them, or when the stewardess is slow with the cocktail. :rotfl:

One good thing that airlines have done is that they have reinforced the cockpit doors and armed their pilots. It seems that it would be impossible to turn a plane into a missile with those measures.

Sorry Charley, pilots can not stop the aircraft from falling from the sky in all instances, just depends on how much damage is involved and what the location of the damage is.

I am glad that you have found some comfort in that notion for your next flight though.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:chuckle::nono::rotfl:

Your assuming that Mildred will not pick up on the scam, "old people" does not equate to "stupid people".

Profiling does help, Security screening is even better and due to the nature of this type of terrorist activity it is here to stay (unfortunately), so we need to get used to it and hope that better screening systems will be coming in the near future.

Connie talks an awful lot about public restrooms.

Newman

As in most of what we develop! We will decide what it is we wish to accomplish, design what machinery/organization we think will accomplish it, put it into action and then modify it as we find all the little loop holes we didn't think of or the things we are doing incorrectly. Eventually we will have an acceptable working system.

I really don't think the Airlines should have much say in security though, they are a profit margin business and will make decisions with that in mind.

See, I would say that the fact that they do respond to the mechanisms of profit and loss would help the whole security issue even more. Anticipated profits would encourage them to provide for not only comfortable but safe consumers/passengers. People aren't going to fly on a plane that had no screening measures at all. Yet, they probably aren't going to fly on a plane in which everybody is in a cell, naked, each being watched by a security officer as they fly to their destination.

Yeah right! Then you will have passengers using their tasers on each other when ever some fool gets uncomfortable, can't stand the snoring of the guy next to them, or when the stewardess is slow with the cocktail. :rotfl:

I don't think so. And even if they did, they would face assault and battery charges upon landing. Having a weapon doesn't give you the right to use it on whoever, whenever, for whatever reason.

Sorry Charley, pilots can not stop the aircraft from falling from the sky in all instances, just depends on how much damage is involved and what the location of the damage is.

I was referring to hijacked planes. If a hijacker can't get into the cockpit, then he's not really a hijacker, is he?

I am glad that you have found some comfort in that notion for your next flight though.[/QUOTE]

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
["Don't run we are your friends..." ~ Mars Attacks :alien:] "I'm just a dumb cop, so I will need a little extra spoon feeding."
I'm just a half-breed mold myself, :freak: but I'll do my best. Do you believe that Muslims want the best for you if you do not share their belief system (a :CRASH: perversion of Christianity)? Jn 10:10.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
If I were in charge, my version of plane safety would be offering each ticket holder over 18 years old a handheld taser that is fixed on a low setting.

That's one of many reasons that Libertarians aren't "in charge" of anything.

"Sir, here's another double martini, and if you tase the passenger next to you again, we're going to cut you off."

Newman

"Sir, here's another double martini, and if you tase the passenger next to you again, we're going to cut you off."

I'm not sure why you all think that having a taser on a plane would have dramatically less responsibility and seriousness than off of a plane.

You don't see your situation here happening in bars, where tasers are perfectly legal, so why would being on a plane be any different?

If you use your taser on somebody, and they weren't threatening to hurt you or others, or they weren't trying to hijack the plane, then you still bear full responsibility for your actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.