toldailytopic: Vitamins and supplements: should the government regulate more like pha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 15th, 2010 08:56 AM

toldailytopic: Vitamins and supplements: should the government regulate more like pharmaceuticals?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

sdgareth

Yes they should

Living in a third world country where there is very little regulation (although they are trying hard)

I feel they should

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Uh...maybe? At least, to an extent. Supplements and vitamins generally come with certain claims on them. For example, my bottle of cinnamon + chromium capsules says: "promotes sugar metabolism." My bottle of calcium says: "Bone health." My bottle of multivitamins says: "more absorbable key nutrients." My bottle of Melatonin + Theanine tablets says: "For stress relief and a sounder sleep." It would be nice if the government were to make sure that these are true claims.

That's one thing. The more basic thing, though, I think, is that the government at the very least ought to make sure that the products are safe for human consumption and won't cause...I don't know...super AIDS or something like that. :idunno:

I am someone who primarily uses vitamins and supplements exclusively for prevention and treatment of everything, yet I would like to see some regulations, just so I know I'm getting what I pay for. It could also help to stimulate competition and bring down the prices. Supplements are way overpriced.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I am someone who primarily uses vitamins and supplements exclusively for prevention and treatment of everything, yet I would like to see some regulations, just so I know I'm getting what I pay for. It could also help to stimulate competition and bring down the prices. Supplements are way overpriced.

[jeff-foxworthy-impersonation]If yoooooou use vitamins and supplements exclusively for prevention and treatment of everything, and would like to be sure that you're getting what you pay for...yooooou're getting old![/jeff-foxworthy-impersonation]

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How would government regulation drive down prices?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would think it would open the door for the large corporations to manufacture the products.

I don't believe they do it now, because the insurance companies will not cover supplements as medicine.

:idunno:
Ok, but what they might gain there... they may lose in added expenses from government regulations. Not only that but government regulations tend to "weed out" the little guy.

Government regulation almost always causes prices to go up.

Not to mention.... this allows government more power over our own personal choices, I don't want Obama telling me what I can, or cannot take in my morning vitamin regiment.

Ok, but what they might gain there... they may lose in added expenses from government regulations. Not only that but government regulations tend to "weed out" the little guy.

Government regulation almost always causes prices to go up.

Not to mention.... this allows government more power over our own personal choices, I don't want Obama telling me what I can, or cannot take in my morning vitamin regiment.
How do we insure you are getting the product you pay for?

I am well pleased that food companies must label their ingredients.

Newman

I am well pleased that food companies must label their ingredients.

A non-government third party that looks like Consumer Reports or Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.

They test it out, put their stamp of approval on it, the vitamin companies get more reputation, they sell more, get more business, create newer, better products.

It really is a beautiful process. Everybody wins. No government necessary.

A non-government third party that looks like Consumer Reports or Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.

They test it out, put their stamp of approval on it, the vitamin companies get more reputation, they sell more, get more business, create newer, better products.

It really is a beautiful process. Everybody wins. No government necessary.
Okay, but who is going to agree with that, without the government enforcing it?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We don't! Or at least the government doesn't.

How do we insure that we are getting our monies worth on any product we buy?? Being a smart shopper is my answer.

I would rather take my chances being a smart, educated consumer than getting the government involved with every purchase I make. The trade-off is too great (in my opinion)

Newman

Okay, but who is going to agree with that, without the government enforcing it?

What do you mean?

I would, because that means I have a better idea about what's in my vitamin pills.

The vitamin company would, because by getting their product okayed by the third party, they have a more reputable product, which means more sales.

And the third party company would, because they get paid by the vitamin company to test their product. Or, in the case of consumer reports, the companies offer their products for free to be tested, and then consumers pay to see the results.

The only loser is the government. But even they don't lose, because they don't offer the service, and they don't get paid for it. Neutral.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
We don't! Or at least the government doesn't.

How do we insure that we are getting our monies worth on any product we buy?? Being a smart shopper is my answer.

I would rather take my chances being a smart, educated consumer than getting the government involved with every purchase I make. The trade-off is too great (in my opinion)

:thumb:

This isn't 1880......most (if not all) have easy access to information through the web.

This Bill is nothing more than the Nanny State demanding that you hold it's hand while it tells you what's "best". :nono:

nicholsmom

I would think it would open the door for the large corporations to manufacture the products.

I don't believe they do it now, because the insurance companies will not cover supplements as medicine.

:idunno:

I gotta ask: what are you buying??? The labeling on vitamins is according to regulations already in place, and herbals have to list what's in them. I get mine at the local grocer for exceedingly cheap prices - sometimes generics (store brand) and sometimes brand names, but all cheap, cheap, cheap - and I usually get coupons to buy more. I love the deal at Kroger - buy one get one free - when the sale is on something I use a lot of like B12, D3 or fish oil. :thumb:

Government involvement will NOT bring prices down, and will not be a benefit to the consumer.

I gotta ask: what are you buying??? The labeling on vitamins is according to regulations already in place, and herbals have to list what's in them. I get mine at the local grocer for exceedingly cheap prices - sometimes generics (store brand) and sometimes brand names, but all cheap, cheap, cheap - and I usually get coupons to buy more. I love the deal at Kroger - buy one get one free - when the sale is on something I use a lot of like B12, D3 or fish oil. :thumb:

Government involvement will NOT bring prices down, and will not be a benefit to the consumer.
I want to know the source of the supplements. I want it to work, and there is a big difference in effectiveness from one manufacturer to another.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 15th, 2010 08:56 AM

toldailytopic: Vitamins and supplements: should the government regulate more like pharmaceuticals?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
No, that would be silly. The government regulates too many things, which should be left up to the individual to decide and fails to regulate other things because their power buddies do not want it regulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.