toldailytopic: Water baptism: what is it's place today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tico

You know, I've heard that before, but every time I go to a Greek-English lexicon and look up "baptizo" it always has the word "water" somewhere in the definition. I think I will go with the lexicon

Which one of the following baptisms uses water?

Acts 1:5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.

Mark 10:38 But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”

Luke 3:16 John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Luke 12:50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!

1 Cor. 10:2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,

Hey John, did those who were baptized into the sea get wet? I didn´t think so. Nice work!

john w

Hall of Fame
Maybe "the church" will start dumping their members into tanks of ice instead of the baptistry?

_
I think Big Barn suggested that to Reverend Tucker's congregation at the All Souls Church in Mayberry, and to Rev. Hobard, when he was passing through.

Reverend Hobart gave Barney "the big freeze", and asked him, "What's your hurry?"

Axman

greatdivided said : But just like Jesus has a divine nature and a human nature, so our baptism has a spiritual aspect and a physical aspect. When we are physically baptized in water we spiritually receive from God the forgiveness of our sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (see Acts. 2:38). It is but one baptism.

Water baptism was under the law........................Yes or no?
Christ died to remove the law..............................Yes or no?
When jesus was baptized was it under the law.....Yes or no?

Axman

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink ;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.
The very deep did rot : O Christ !
That ever this should be !
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea.

About, about, in reel and rout
The death-fires danced at night ;
The water, like a witch's oils,
Burnt green, and blue and white.

greatdivide46

Maimonides was a Jewish codifier of the law and the law was in force during the time of Jesus. Jesus was baptized under the law.
Are you under the law?
No, I am not under the law. Certainly the law was in force during the time of Jesus and certainly Jesus was baptize while the law was in force, but I don't believe the baptism that Jesus experienced at the hands of John the baptist was the same as the ritual ablution referred to by Maimonides. It is my understanding that "baptism" under the law was self-administered. That's why everyone was going out to see what John the Baptist was doing. No one had ever baptized other people before.

Those baptized at Pentecost had no problem with water baptism as it was under the law. There is no indication that it had changed as they knew it, under the law.
So, I take it that you don't see Peter's command to be baptized in Acts 2:38 as any indication of something different from ritual ablution under the law.

Those baptized at Pentecost were not added to the body of Christ!!!!
You need to prove that with scripture!
Acts 2:41 is enough proof for me. "So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls."

Sure the Jews were baptized at Pentecost, the ritual wasn't a one time deal, it was a purification ritual preformed on many occasions.
I'm not aware of any examples of people being rebaptized once they became a Christian So I don't believe it was a ritual performed on many occasions. At least not on the same people over and over again.

greatdivide46

It is strange that you base your faith on a definition in a lexicon, do you believe in double inspiration? Natural words were used to explain Spiritual operations, like curcumcision made without hands.

Mat 3:11 IG1473 indeedG3303 baptizeG907 youG5209 withG1722 waterG5204 untoG1519 repentance:G3341 butG1161 he that comethG2064 afterG3694 meG3450 isG2076 mightierG2478 than I,G3450 whoseG3739 shoesG5266 I amG1510 notG3756 worthyG2425 to bear:G941 heG846 shall baptizeG907 youG5209 withG1722 the HolyG40 Ghost,G4151 andG2532 with fire:G4442

In the above we have two baptisms and "baptize" with the Holy Ghost does not mean baptize with water.
You are right! However, what John is referring to as baptism with the Holy Ghost is the reception of the Holy Spirit into the life of a believer. It is a literal event, but it is not literally a baptism. The term "baptism" is being used figuratively to describe what happens when the Holy Spirit comes into a believer. So, in reality the only literal baptism is baptism in water.

greatdivide46

greatdivided said : But just like Jesus has a divine nature and a human nature, so our baptism has a spiritual aspect and a physical aspect. When we are physically baptized in water we spiritually receive from God the forgiveness of our sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (see Acts. 2:38). It is but one baptism.

Water baptism was under the law........................Yes or no?
Apparently there was a ritual ablution under the law. But the baptism of a believer is not the same thing. So, no.

Christ died to remove the law..............................Yes or no?
Yes

When jesus was baptized was it under the law.....Yes or no?
. Jesus was baptized while the law was in force, but the baptism He experienced was not according to the law. So, no.

greatdivide46

ORIGINAL: Lighthouse

Show us.

"baptizo: 1. to dip repeatedly, to immerse, submerge; 2. to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water; 3. (metaphorically) to overwhelm.

In the NT it is used particularly of the rite of sacred ablution, first instituted by John the Baptist, afterwards by Christ's command received by Christians and adjusted to the contents and nature of their religion, viz., an immersion in water, performed as a sing of the removal of sin, and administered to those who, impelled by a desire for salvation, sought admission to the benefits of the Messiah's kingdom."

(Thayer, Joseph Henry, "Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament," Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, seventh printing, 1968, page 94.)

Status
Not open for further replies.