toldailytopic: White smoke rises, a new Pope is chosen, what do you think about it?

TruthSetsFree

I think this whole process is an ungodly travesty and I don't think much of it, or care about it, at all.

a travesty??

what the--?

Christ's Church has a new earthly leader and that's a travesty???

uh....

gee... you may want to... get a ...

ok, i admit... i don't know what u mean anyhow so i wont finish that

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Here's hoping for good things to happen:

The new pope is known as a humble man who denied himself the luxuries that previous Buenos Aires cardinals enjoyed. He will also have a special connection to the almost half-billion Catholics who live in Latin America.

Bergoglio is one of five children and as a child suffered a respiratory illness that left him with just one lung. Bergoglio is known in his native city’s archdiocese for his simplicity, CBS 2′s Jessica Schneider reported.

Bergoglio doesn’t live in the archbishop palace, but rather in an apartment, where he cooks his own meals. He even chose to wear his own, simple cross — devoid of diamond and jewels — as he stood on the balcony Wednesday taking in the incredible scene below.

Bergoglio often rode the bus to work and regularly visited the slums that ring Argentina’s capital. He considers social outreach, rather than doctrinal battles, to be the essential business of the Church.

CBS News papal consultant Monsignor Anthony Figueiredo said Bergoglio “did not want to be pope.”
“This man did not expect to be pope,” Figueiredo said, adding that Bergoglio’s selection is an “incredibly courageous choice.”

CBS News reported that Bergoglio is not a favorite of the Vatican curia.
“This man now has a clear mandate from 115 cardinals to come in and clear out the curia,” Monsignor Figueiredo said.​

StanJ53

I think it's great for South American RCs. It's about time they have a pope that reflects their demographic in the RCC. Europe has had way more popes than their numbers in the RCC warrant.

Last edited:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Seems to be a conservative Catholic who is anti-gay and anti-abortion.

Maybe he will be dismissing a lot of Priests due to his stance against homosexuality.

Maybe he will convince TruthSetsFree to stop supporting Mitt Romney due to his stance against abortion.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it's great for South American RCs. It's about time they have a pope that reflects their demographic in the RCC. Europe has had way popes.

Way too many?

I found it interesting that this " South American Pope" is the son of Italian immigrants.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
he is too old
Nah. He still has at least a few vital years in him. And then he can move into the Pope retirement village. Let three or four of those guys little papal rascal around the Vatican and the penny pinchers will skew younger next time.

I can't tell you why, but for some reason his election tickled me. I was smiling for my Catholic brethren for a good bit of the afternoon.

they don't trust the young ones
Who wants to take orders from a kid? :think: But Francis was a runner up last time. So he must be well thought of by nearly everyone.

It would be interesting to find out who the choices were that led in the first vote and how Francis became the compromise pick, assuming.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Nah. He still has at least a few vital years in him. And then he can move into the Pope retirement village.

Because 70 is the new 60, you know. :)

Let three or four of those guys little papal rascal around the Vatican and the penny pinchers will skew younger next time.
I have no idea what you just said there, but I'm going with the thought that it's positive. :chuckle:

I can't tell you why, but for some reason his election tickled me. I was smiling for my Catholic brethren for a good bit of the afternoon.
:)

Who wants to take orders from a kid? :think: But Francis was a runner up last time. So he must be well thought of by nearly everyone.

It would be interesting to find out who the choices were that led in the first vote and how Francis became the compromise pick, assuming.
To have been a fly on Michelangelo's wall....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because 70 is the new 60, you know. :)
True and exciting for all of us past thirty...and especially for those about to pass it again.

I have no idea what you just said there, but I'm going with the thought that it's positive. :chuckle:
mobility03.jpg

You'll have to imagine it with appropriate insignia and all.

To have been a fly on Michelangelo's wall....
But really, at their age you probably could have just stood within twenty feet of the door and made out fine. :eek:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now that I know his name, I hope he does have the fortitude to address the problems in the Catholic Church.

I agree there. There are many good and God-fearing Catholics, and I believe they hope and want for a leader who will correct the ills of the Catholic Church and lead it down a noble path. There is always hope, however small.

StanJ53

Way too many?

I found it interesting that this " South American Pope" is the son of Italian immigrants.

Oops! I really do need to proof read my posts.

No wonder his Italian sounded so good. Apparently he also does NOT speak English, which is rather limited for a Pope don't you think? Me thinks there are way more English RCs in the world than German ones.