toldailytopic: Who is the greatest active player in each of the major sports?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
gump1.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Who is the greatest active player in each of the major sports?

:think:

NFL: Manning on offense (close second nod to Peterson).

NBA: James. Not even a discussion unless it's for second place.

MLB: I don't think there's a single player, but Verlander isn't a bad choice.

Hockey...some Slavic somebody? :idunno:

Golf: sorry, I just remembered you said sport. :plain:

Quincy

All you guys saying Lebron James and Manning, I disagree. You need rings and trophies to be great, that is how you measure greatness. Just listen to the athletes. If they don't bring home the championship, then they aren't satisfied. If Kobe retires, Lebron still wouldn't be the greatest NBA player still playing, unless Tim Duncan also is retired then.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All you guys saying Lebron James and Manning, I disagree. You need rings and trophies to be great, that is how you measure greatness.
Only in golf is winning that determiner. In team sports you can be one of the greatest to ever play and never win a ring. You want a list?

But both of those gentlemen have done that.

Just listen to the athletes. If they don't bring home the championship, then they aren't satisfied.
Different discussion. The trophy is what they play for, but it isn't what defines their greatness or Charles Haley would already be in the HOF with his five rings and Robert Horry would be in the NBA greatest of all time discussions.

A ring can be a capstone, but its absence doesn't diminish greatness.

If Kobe retires, Lebron still wouldn't be the greatest NBA player still playing, unless Tim Duncan also is retired then.
Duncan is one of the all time greats, as is Kobe. James is just better at this point. It remains to be seen how his career will look, but so far so good.

john w

Hall of Fame
Who is the greatest active player in each of the major sports?

:think:

NFL: Manning on offense (close second nod to Peterson).

NBA: James. Not even a discussion unless it's for second place.

MLB: I don't think there's a single player, but Verlander isn't a bad choice.

Hockey...some Slavic somebody? :idunno:

Golf: sorry, I just remembered you said sport. :plain:

"NBA: James. Not even a discussion unless it's for second place."-TH

Is that like the cliche that almost every sports"expert" employs on TV today, i.e., "No question/doubt about it."?(just notice how often this "filler" is used)

Sure there is-that is why they/we are discussing it.

No question about it....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"NBA: James. Not even a discussion unless it's for second place."-TH

Is that like the cliche that almost every sports"expert" employs on TV today, i.e., "No question/doubt about it."?(just notice how often this "filler" is used)

Sure there is-that is why they/we are discussing it.

No question about it....
Then to clarify, I meant there's no reasonably objective debate about it. Who's better? Who can match him offensively and defensively? The closest is probably Durant and even he's not going to tell you he's better than James.

But sure, you could argue any point. People frequently do.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I was ace dibs player, no longer active, nobody could match my flying hotdogs

I could also place a mean slate in hopscotch

Last edited: