toldailytopic: WILDCARD Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ps82

The best thing that ever happened to me is:
God personally let me know that he is real, alive, and knows what is going on in my life. This has changed my whole perspective about life - now and later.

Next to that - having a loving childhood family and a great husband and children of my own are the best things to happen to me.

sdgareth

Yeah, Have to agree, coming to know God personally especially after living with my head up my butt for 40 years.

Second best, my kids, never planned to have any,but they have taught me so much. They are truly a reward, unexpected but awesome

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Hi Mary! :wave2:

I like asking ladies this question. Going into your marriage did you have any expectations or specific ideas as to what it means to be a "wife"? :think:
Sheesh, I started answering this and ended up with a huge, long post that I finally just had to delete. Way too much info for this thread and no idea how to shorten it.

:think:

I guess I expected I'd have a lot of duties I'd be taking on that I'd just have to trust would be worth it. Everything I set before myself required giving to my husband and my marriage...and I want to say "and expecting yadayada in return"...but really, I supposed it'd be more accurate to say "hoping for yadayada in return". I hold that the commitment one talks about when referring to the "commitment" of marriage is doing one's duty in the marriage and not demanding anything in return. I hope, expect and trust but demand nothing. I figure that's the best way to go about it. I am, after all, committed to my husband. The agreement we have is that he will be committed to me in return but that's something I must simply trust in, not demand. So far he's proven trustworthy. :D

I did not go into this expecting life would be grand and wonderful. I expected my marriage would make my life a heck of a lot more complicated. I expected, in fact, that my life wouldn't really be any better or worse in the end, just...bigger. I'd always known that intimate relationships are just friendships on steroids, with the boundaries of joy and pain simply pushed outward a good bit more from center. I'm surprised to find that isn't necessarily a bad thing, which I'd always assumed up to this point. The aforementioned mutual commitment actually manages to keep things much more in the positive side of that spectrum than I ever expected it would. And so, to my surprise, I am generally, overall, a hell of a lot more happy and content than I was when I was single.

As odd as it may sound, I never really expected that. Brief periods of intense joy here and there, sure, always balanced by opposing periods of agonizing pain. That is what I expected. So far, surprisingly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Whenever we manage to remain committed to one another we almost without fail tilt things over into the "joy" side of things. And staying there doesn't seem to require anything more than that. That's continues to astound me.

The flip side of that coin being that those periods in between when one or both of us abandon the commitment seriously suck donkey butt. They hurt. A whole lot. And so, again, I do my best to stay focused on my marriage. Expecting, hoping and trusting that he will do the same. And that's that.

:think:

I could say more but I'm already rambling again. I could probably write ten pages of whimsical musing on this topic without even trying. I mean, see? Still a big post. :eek:

Son of Jack

Eh, good point. All right: you Christian folk who've gone through your whole getting saved thing, provide the second best experience of your lives.:chuckle:

And for everyone else without that caveat, fire away. No more IRS rampage talk.

The birth of my two (about to be three) children...not to mention the wonderful woman who is my wife and the mother of those children.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.