toldailytopic: You are what you eat. How do you feel about genetically modified organ

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
and becoming increasingly popular.

My wife is searching for the old New England "Peace Rose" variety. Not sure if it's hardy in Texas, but she wants to try.

And yes, roses that are not so showy, but retain that wonderful fragrance are better, in my opinion.

Alate_One

My wife is searching for the old New England "Peace Rose" variety. Not sure if it's hardy in Texas, but she wants to try.
I guess I wouldn't consider "Peace" to be an heirloom variety. If it's what I'm thinking of, it was bred in the late 30s in France. The variety was sent out just before the war and was given the trade name "Peace" after the war ended.

313px-Rosa_%E2%80%98Gloria_Dei%E2%80%99_syn._%E2%80%98Peace%E2%80%99.jpg

Heirloom/ Old garden roses are usually considered only those bred before 1867.

Peace shouldn't be particularly hard to find and would do far better in Texas than New England. Main problem with it is disease, not hardiness. If you're in Texas though I'd recommend the Antique Rose Emporium. If you want some actual old garden roses.

With respect to the topic at hand I don't think there are any GM roses commercially available at current. I originally wanted to do my PhD in that area but alas it wasn't to be. There was a "blue" rose in the news a while back but it wasn't any more blue than conventionally bred "blue" roses. There are GM purple carnations you can buy through high end florists, though.

And yes, roses that are not so showy, but retain that wonderful fragrance are better, in my opinion.
I recommend a variety called Marie Pavie for that. It's a small bush wish small flowers but the fragrance is amazing.

MariePavie.jpg

Clem

A very bad idea to mess with such things, especially when terrible mistakes could be spread by the wind or by flying insects. One bad mistake could kill off all bees, and then where would we be? Experiments with animal DNA might be safe an useful, so long as our motives are pure, but God has given us science as a gift, not to give us a (false) sense of purpose by making us see ourselves as godlike.

And, I'm mistrustful of the profit motive, which tries to create an artificial world where everything can be patented !!

Last edited: