UK politician murdered in broad daylight

Arthur Brain

Just because strict gun laws are in place over here doesn't mean they're 100% impossible to obtain 'underground' as you must surely be aware. As tragic as this case is we have very little gun related crime in the UK so I don't know what point you're even trying to make with this thread frankly.

musterion

Just because strict gun laws are in place over here doesn't mean they're 100% impossible to obtain 'underground' as you must surely be aware. As tragic as this case is we have very little gun related crime in the UK so I don't know what point you're even trying to make with this thread frankly.

Because leftists (even those over where you are) love to tell us to disarm because your laws "work." Then something like this happens. That's my only point.

musterion

People still die of disease, medicine is so useless!

Criminals will still be able to get guns, so confiscating guns from law abiding citizens is not only unnecessary but, indeed, unconscionable. They're not the problem but they're the ones the Left wants to see disarmed.

First, Jo Cox was stabbed before she was shot. So to argue that she would still be alive if it wasn't for gun legislation is absurd. Second, to argue that an intervention has to be 100% effective to be useful is absolutely nonsense. Seatbelts? Medicine? Fire-retardant fabrics? All useless apparently. Third, rates of gun crime in the UK are extremely low compared with the US. I'm proud that I live in a country where one's "right" to own guns isn't seen as more important as one's right to life.

And even the article you link to repeatedly emphasises how rare such events are here.

musterion

First, Jo Cox was stabbed before she was shot. So to argue that she would still be alive if it wasn't for gun legislation is absurd. Second, to argue that an intervention has to be 100% effective to be useful is absolutely nonsense. Seatbelts? Medicine? Fire-retardant fabrics? All useless apparently. Third, rates of gun crime in the UK are extremely low compared with the US. I'm proud that I live in a country where one's "right" to own guns isn't seen as more important as one's right to life.

And even the article you link to repeatedly emphasises how rare such events are here.

I do not know you so let me ask this up front.

Do you, like Artie and others posting from the U.K., want to see the citizens of the U.S. disarmed the way your people have been disarmed? Or do you not care either way?

Do you, like Artie and others posting from the U.K., want to see the citizens of the U.S. disarmed the way your people have been disarmed? Or do you not care either way?

I (like most US citizens) think it is ridiculously easy for people to get hold of guns in the US. I think that tighter gun legislation is the only realistic way that the high rates of gun crime in the US can be reduced. I'm aware that this is not going to happen over night and requires a parallel cultural change. In the UK the vast majority of people have absolutely no inclination to buy a gun, let alone to see them as a necessity or a right. It has never crossed my mind that I should want to own a gun.

So, do I "want" to see US citizens "disarmed"? Not out of any ulterior motive. Do I want US citizens to die at needlessly high levels due to gun violence? No.

And for you, some questions. Do you think US gun crime is disproportionately high?

Do you accept that Jo Cox's murder would not have been prevented if the UK had more lax gun legislation?

And do you also accept that Jo Cox's murder is a rare abomination in a country otherwise (more or less) untouched by gun crime?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I (like most US citizens) think it is ridiculously easy for people to get hold of guns in the US. I think that tighter gun legislation is the only realistic way that the high rates of gun crime in the US can be reduced. I'm aware that this is not going to happen over night and requires a parallel cultural change. In the UK the vast majority of people have absolutely no inclination to buy a gun, let alone to see them as a necessity or a right. It has never crossed my mind that I should want to own a gun.

So, do I "want" to see US citizens "disarmed"? Not out of any ulterior motive. Do I want US citizens to die at needlessly high levels due to gun violence? No.

Do you have an example of the type of gun legislation you are speaking of?

Arthur Brain

Because leftists (even those over where you are) love to tell us to disarm because your laws "work." Then something like this happens. That's my only point.

Your 'only point' isn't even that. What part of 'We have very little gun related crime in the UK' were you missing? Events such as this make the news because of the rarity of them, something even your article was obliged to point out. All that does is underline that the laws do work in regards to a very low gun/crime rate. You've ironically shot yourself in your own foot here.

You wanna quote me where I've said any of that? Or is it just another Musty presumption?

musterion

Tighten it up. Do you want to see us disarmed as you have been? Y or N.

eider

Our Right Wing Prime Minister has instructed that Ms Cox's Left Wing seat in Parliament will not be contested in any Bi-Election. He personally visited the crime scene with our Left ing Leader and they both layed wreaths.

Everybody in the UK recognises what an extraordinary MP Ms Cox was, and her devotion to Oxfam and her constituents was total. She was a brave and committed Member of Parliament and this was her first term ion office.

For you to use her death as a cheap jibe on behalf of your three hundred million gun problem tells me everything that I need to know about you. Don't worry about left-wing or right-wing gun regulation in your country because no matter what legislation is passed it will be a century at least before it could have any effect whatsoever.

CherubRam

The Gun Shop: The Muslim who bought the AR-15 was reported 3 weeks before the perches to the FBI, and they did nothing.

eider

How did you feel about Lee Rigby?

Lee Rigby was a young soldier who was stabbed and beheaded by a knife weilding madman in a Woolwich street in South East London. A Woman Police Officer attended the scene, and when the killer charged at her she shot him. He was convicted and jailed for life.

The whole country was most sad about his death and opur empathy and sympathy went out to his relatives and loved ones.

But what is your point? Do you want to exert yet another jule of leverage for your wish to keep your country deluged in guns?

What you don't seem to get is that you don't own guns.... they own you.

eider

The Gun Shop: The Muslim who bought the AR-15 was reported 3 weeks before the perches to the FBI, and they did nothing.

What did you want the FBI to do?
Do you want a law which forbids the sale of AR-15 semi-automatic rifles to Muslims?
That would be gun regulation wouldn't it?
You don't want any Left-Wing (or Right-Wing) government doing anything like that, do you?