Understanding Life After Death

clefty

http://www.unlearnthelies.com/understanding-life-after-death.html

"If we really want a good understanding of the Biblical concept of life, death, and the afterlife, then we need to start in the beginning, because that is where we find out how life began, and why we must die.

I am convinced that our understanding of the events in Genesis will shape our understanding of everything else.

The first few chapters of Genesis explain the origin of life, the cause of death, and the need for salvation. We can see from these chapters how everything was created, how sin entered the world, and what the consequences of sin are. Without a proper understanding of Genesis, we will have difficulty understanding anything else in the Bible.

It is important for us to know how life began, so we can better understand how life ends. Listen to the way the Bible describes the creation of man:

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. (Genesis 2:7)
The word translated “living being” can also be translated as “living soul”. (We don’t have a soul, we are a soul)

I am sure that you are very familiar with this story, so I will not spend too much time on the details. (If you are not familiar with the story, please take some time to read the first 3 chapters of Genesis, because it will help you to understand the things I am talking about here)

After God created Adam and Eve, he gave them some very clear instructions about what they were allowed to eat. These instructions came with a warning about what would happen if they disobeyed:

And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Genesis 2:16-17)
God clearly said that if you eat of the tree you will die. The Hebrew word translated here is the word מוּת (moot), and means “die, perish, cease to live, corpse, dead, destroy”. This word speaks of our mortality, that we will not live forever, but our life will eventually come to an end.

Now, listen to the lie that the enemy spoke:

Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” (Genesis 3:4-5)
So, who should we believe? God said that we will die, but the serpent said we will not. You will soon find out in this study that your belief on this one thing will completely transform your understanding of the afterlife. The lie is that “you will not surely die… you will become like God”, but the Bible tells us that after they ate from the tree, God placed a curse upon Adam.

Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: “Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.” (Genesis 3:17-19)
We see this same concept in various other scriptures such as:

You take away their breath, they die and return to their dust. (Psalm 104:29)
For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity. All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust. (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)
Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7)
The enemy says that we will not die, but God said that we will die because of sin. However, that is not the end of the story, because we have hope in Yeshua, our Messiah. The Bible tells us:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
This verse is very important because it explains both the problem and the solution. The problem is that we are all under the curse of sin, we will all die, but there is a way for us to have everlasting life."

Learn not the way of the idolatrous pagans with their super hero immortality...their leader who claims you will not surely die...

God's Truth

http://www.unlearnthelies.com/understanding-life-after-death.html

"If we really want a good understanding of the Biblical concept of life, death, and the afterlife, then we need to start in the beginning, because that is where we find out how life began, and why we must die.

I am convinced that our understanding of the events in Genesis will shape our understanding of everything else.

The first few chapters of Genesis explain the origin of life, the cause of death, and the need for salvation. We can see from these chapters how everything was created, how sin entered the world, and what the consequences of sin are. Without a proper understanding of Genesis, we will have difficulty understanding anything else in the Bible.

It is important for us to know how life began, so we can better understand how life ends. Listen to the way the Bible describes the creation of man:

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. (Genesis 2:7)
The word translated “living being” can also be translated as “living soul”. (We don’t have a soul, we are a soul)

I am sure that you are very familiar with this story, so I will not spend too much time on the details. (If you are not familiar with the story, please take some time to read the first 3 chapters of Genesis, because it will help you to understand the things I am talking about here)

After God created Adam and Eve, he gave them some very clear instructions about what they were allowed to eat. These instructions came with a warning about what would happen if they disobeyed:

And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Genesis 2:16-17)
God clearly said that if you eat of the tree you will die. The Hebrew word translated here is the word מוּת (moot), and means “die, perish, cease to live, corpse, dead, destroy”. This word speaks of our mortality, that we will not live forever, but our life will eventually come to an end.

Now, listen to the lie that the enemy spoke:

Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” (Genesis 3:4-5)
So, who should we believe? God said that we will die, but the serpent said we will not. You will soon find out in this study that your belief on this one thing will completely transform your understanding of the afterlife. The lie is that “you will not surely die… you will become like God”, but the Bible tells us that after they ate from the tree, God placed a curse upon Adam.

Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: “Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.” (Genesis 3:17-19)
We see this same concept in various other scriptures such as:

You take away their breath, they die and return to their dust. (Psalm 104:29)
For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity. All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust. (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)
Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7)
The enemy says that we will not die, but God said that we will die because of sin. However, that is not the end of the story, because we have hope in Yeshua, our Messiah. The Bible tells us:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
This verse is very important because it explains both the problem and the solution. The problem is that we are all under the curse of sin, we will all die, but there is a way for us to have everlasting life."

Learn not the way of the idolatrous pagans with their super hero immortality...their leader who claims you will not surely die...

Our physical body/flesh dies, but the spirit does not die.

oatmeal

Those who fall for the same lie as the serpent told Eve believe that there is immediate life after death.

"Thou shalt not surely die"

God said they would surely die and the Devil says they wouldn't die.

There is no point to having a resurrection or raising anyone from the dead if the dead go to a better place.

Death is an enemy that shall be destroyed in the future.

There is no consciousness of any kind in death.

There are scripture references for all the above.

I am not going to provide them

clefty

Those who fall for the same lie as the serpent told Eve believe that there is immediate life after death.

"Thou shalt not surely die"

God said they would surely die and the Devil says they wouldn't die.

There is no point to having a resurrection or raising anyone from the dead if the dead go to a better place.

Death is an enemy that shall be destroyed in the future.

There is no consciousness of any kind in death.

There are scripture references for all the above.

I am not going to provide them

Yup...

The resurrection was the draw which crowded the synagogues every Sabbath...that a man rose from the dead had to be understood...who was he? Why did he die? Why was he raised? That is the Gospel...

Pagans already believed in the after life...

but this "raised back into flesh" thingy was unique...no more death and to live forever...in the flesh?...here on earth?...that was good news

God's Truth

Yup...it does not die but returns to the Spiritgiver...Who lives in a place full of other spirits none of which were previously wrapped in human flesh...

I see what you are saying. I have thought of this before and what I find is that the spirit given to us by God changes and grows with the physical body...so, with that in mind, I do not believe we lived in heaven before we were born. Yes, our blank spirit comes from God and it changes by what we do and what we think.

clefty

I see what you are saying. I have thought of this before and what I find is that the spirit given to us by God changes and grows with the physical body...so, with that in mind, I do not believe we lived in heaven before we were born. Yes, our blank spirit comes from God and it changes by what we do and what we think.

I hope rather you see what scripture says. It speaks of His breathing the breath of life, spirit, into the mud dust form and it becoming a living soul...no past life...and warns of those that can kill the souls...not immortal...

I hope you have not only thought of this before but prayed and studied...so the dust + spirit = soul which is indeed what grows and becomes and is judged...but also dies and loses consciousness as we are not immortal

Spirit returns to Giver...soul knows nothing until reunited...

Yes we havent lived before in heaven and we dont go to heaven until its with our new bodies after the long awaited much anticipated day of resurrection...HalleluYah

And then we come back here to live eternally

I recommend the book in the OP...study prayers and may He lead

God's Truth

I hope rather you see what scripture says. It speaks of His breathing the breath of life, spirit, into the mud dust form and it becoming a living soul...no past life...and warns of those that can kill the souls...not immortal...
God says cannot kill the soul.

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
I hope you have not only thought of this before but prayed and studied...so the dust + spirit = soul which is indeed what grows and becomes and is judged...but also dies and loses consciousness as we are not immortal
The spirit does not die.

Spirit returns to Giver...soul knows nothing until reunited...

Not so because the scriptures tell us about spirits who are alive after the death of the body.

Yes we havent lived before in heaven and we dont go to heaven until its with our new bodies after the long awaited much anticipated day of resurrection...HalleluYah

No, we do not go to heaven in bodies, only in our spirit form.
Could you show me scripture that says we live in heaven with a physical body?

And then we come back here to live eternally

I recommend the book in the OP...study prayers and may He lead

Jesus revealed the truth to me.

clefty

God says cannot kill the soul.
tell that to the One you are supposed to be afraid of...

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

The spirit does not die.
right covered that...it goes back to its Giver...body goes to dust Soul waits for resurrection unconscious and spirit back to giver...

Not so because the scriptures tell us about spirits who are alive after the death of the body.
nope...some confuse metaphor symbol parable story vision with actual literal real...

No, we do not go to heaven in bodies, only in our spirit form.
Could you show me scripture that says we live in heaven with a physical body?
was He resurrected only in Spirit form? Nope...we are to do as He does

Jesus revealed the truth to me.
surprised you hadn't said that earlier...like when you hadn't quite figured out our spirits did NOT exist until they were given to our physical bodies and we then became a living soul...

Last edited:

God's Truth

right covered that...
You said CAN kill the soul. Maybe you just made a typing error.

it goes back to its Giver...body goes to dust Soul waits for resurrection unconscious and spirit back to giver...

God is everywhere, and when some die He will have them go to prison/hell.

nope...some confuse metaphor symbol parable story vision with actual literal real...

The Bible does not tells stories that are not true about our spirits living on in consciousness after the death of their bodies.

was He resurrected only in Spirit form? Nope...we are to do as He does

We are talking about YOU saying we live in heaven after given new bodies.

Show the scripture that says that.

surprised you hadn't said that earlier...like when you hadn't quite figured out our spirits did NOT exist until they were given to our physical bodies and we then became a living soul...

I studied it and was explaining to you that we did not exist as ourselves before we came to earth.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Life is so short. If we're lucky, we live 90 years, and the years go by fast. We can have peace of mind and security in Christ Jesus and eternal life

Romans 10:9-10 KJV -

Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -

clefty

You said CAN kill the soul. Maybe you just made a typing error.

Nope just posted scripture that said be afraid of One who CAN kill both body and soul...

God is everywhere, and when some die He will have them go to prison/hell.
please refer me to where you get this from scripture...the OP says otherwise but you insist probably ignoring it as well...

The Bible does not tells stories that are not true about our spirits living on in consciousness after the death of their bodies.
it tells parables and metaphors...teaching aids...our spirit returns to the Giver...the body returns to dust...soul awaits reunion...

the gospel of Lazarus would be a hit among your type alas none was written as he "slept" for four days...no wait...He clarified it as being dead...which know nothing

Lazarus did not have a telling of four days spent in hell or heaven or purgatory...he was dead...knowing nothing

We are talking about YOU saying we live in heaven after given new bodies.

Show the scripture that says that.
in a twinkling of an eye we are to be changed to eat at His table in His kingdom full of mansions for us...and then to return to a new earth...to continue living as we were to do before this detour of sin and its fallen state...in real bodies made new

I studied it and was explaining to you that we did not exist as ourselves before we came to earth.
we didnt exist before we were ourselves...we came to be here on earth is why the need to get off this Yah forsakening planet to have it renewed...and be renewed ourselves by Him...

Last edited: