Voting the "lesser of two evils" vs. voting third party (conscience vote/wasted vote?)

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
That's not surprising though, is it? That numbers would drop after the first Black president left office? As link link I gave you earlier showed, Hillary had strong support among Black voters, they just didn't carry the momentum of the Obama years...
It's not a surprise that of those AAs who did vote, the overwhelming majority of them did vote for the Democrat. That's expected.

But Hillary lost states that were won by Dukakis, Gore, and Kerry! That is hugely surprising, actually.
What I mentioned earlier about the three states being so close - if those voting for Bernie or Jill Stein had voted against Trump instead, we wouldn't have had four years of the worse president in U.S. history.
"If they had voted against Trump" is interesting commentary indeed.

Are you aware that over 40% of the electorate is so disenfranchised from the system that they don't even vote? So imagine if, instead of telling them they need to vote "against" some person or thing, these people were given something to actually vote for? But the Democrats don't do that because it's not in the interests of their corporate owners. Instead, they say, "Vote for us because we're not the other guy!" That doesn't seem to be a very compelling argument to them, so they don't even bother--the politicians aren't speaking to their issues.

Right Divider

Body part
Didn't say it did. I'm merely pointing out the fact that that is a viable option worth considering. But feel free to take a dump on it if you so choose.
Indeed I will.
There is simply no way that a third party can produce, for example, a president. Therefore, a vote for a third party only supports the existing corrupt two party system.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
There is simply no way that a third party can produce, for example, a president. Therefore, a vote for a third party only supports the existing corrupt two party system.
As long as enough people think the way you do, that will be true. My advise? Break the mold.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"If they had voted against Trump" is interesting commentary indeed.

That's one way to look at it, though.

Are you aware that over 40% of the electorate is so disenfranchised from the system that they don't even vote?

It's pretty normal, I think. At least according to these numbers:

Given that around 239.2 million Americans were eligible to vote in 2020, the projected number of voters brings us to a 66.8% turnout rate. This makes 2020 the year with the highest voter turnout since 1900, when Republican William McKinley won reelection with 73.7% turnout.

So imagine if, instead of telling them they need to vote "against" some person or thing, these people were given something to actually vote for? But the Democrats don't do that because it's not in the interests of their corporate owners. Instead, they say, "Vote for us because we're not the other guy!" That doesn't seem to be a very compelling argument to them, so they don't even bother--the politicians aren't speaking to their issues.

I agree voting "for" someone is a more optimistic way of looking at it, and Democrats did exactly that with Obama's hope and change campaign. But the 2020 election was more fraught, and many millions of voters who saw the danger of another Trump term voted against Trump more than were enthusiastic about candidate Biden.

Right Divider

Body part
As long as enough people think the way you do, that will be true. My advise? Break the mold.
Voting in this corrupt system only supports the system. The more people that vote, the more our corrupt politicians claim that they have the "support of the people" and a "mandate for change", etc, etc, etc.
My advice? Break the mold and abstain.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Two thirds of the electorate turned out to vote? Pretty impressive. That leaves one third who didn't vote (I'm a math wiz). One-third of the electorate is somewhere around 75 million people (I looked it up).

So if Clinton had managed to scrounge up a mere 80k votes across 3 specific states, she could have won the presidency in 2016. And meanwhile, 75 million people didn't vote at all. What's wrong with this picture?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Two thirds of the electorate turned out to vote? Pretty impressive. That leaves one third who didn't vote (I'm a math wiz). One-third of the electorate is somewhere around 75 million people (I looked it up).

So if Clinton had managed to scrounge up a mere 80k votes across 3 specific states, she could have won the presidency in 2016. And meanwhile, 75 million people didn't vote at all. What's wrong with this picture?

That was for 2020, not 2016.

2016's turnout rate was 60.2%.

And the number of votes for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson in PA, MI and WI? According to Heavy, it's possible, if you include FL, that those votes made the difference in Trump's win.

Wisconsin

Overall Trump margin of victory: 27,257 votes
Jill Stein vote total: 30,980
Gary Johnson vote total: 106,442

Michigan

Overall Trump margin of victory: 13,107 votes
Jill Stein vote total: 51,427
Gary Johnson vote total: 172,726

Pennsylvania

Overall Trump margin of victory: 71,794
Jill Stein vote total: 48,657
Gary Johnson vote total: 142,334 (with 99.93% in)

Other Key States​

Florida

Overall Trump margin of victory: 119,489
Jill Stein vote total: 64,060
Gary Johnson vote total: 206,189

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
That was for 2020, not 2016.

2016's turnout rate was 60.2%.
Ok, so 2016 was even worse than I thought in terms of voter turnout.

But you're missing my point. The Republicans have their constituencies in their back pocket already--the religious right, Confederacy sympathizers, neo-Nazis and other fascists, White supremacists, etc. The Republican Party has pretty much all of the voters they're ever going to get.

On the other hand, there are tens of millions of people in America who are so disenfranchised from the system that they don't vote at all. Democrats could appeal to this large plurality of the electorate, but they don't. Why?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Shame

She's impressive.

She's not. In many ways, from her support of Assad (including her bungled visit to Syria, her unwillingness to disclose who funded the trip and her eventual reimbursement of the funds), her weird guru, her fuzzy hawk/dove stance while receiving campaign money from defense contractors, and more - including that Steve Bannon loved her which was as big a red flag as there could be. I have no idea why she was a Democrat, and wouldn't be surprised that if she tries her hand at another campaign, it won't be as one.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Ok, so 2016 was even worse than I thought in terms of voter turnout.

But you're missing my point. The Republicans have their constituencies in their back pocket already--the religious right, Confederacy sympathizers, neo-Nazis and other fascists, White supremacists, etc. The Republican Party has pretty much all of the voters they're ever going to get.

On the other hand, there are tens of millions of people in America who are so disenfranchised from the system that they don't vote at all. Democrats could appeal to this large plurality of the electorate, but they don't. Why?

I see what you're saying. I'm not a Democrat so I can't speak for them, but I read enough of them to have an idea.

Serendipitously, I literally just read this today, it was just posted today, from a commentator I visit regularly.

He makes the point that Democrats campaign on substance and Republicans on emotion.

I'm just an average citizen. I don't know how you fix that.

Substance isn't sexy but a big GOP non-stop rage machine is sexy to those who feed off shared outrage.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
She's not. In many ways, from her support of Assad (including her bungled visit to Syria, her unwillingness to disclose who funded the trip and her eventual reimbursement of the funds), her weird guru, her fuzzy hawk/dove stance while receiving campaign money from defense contractors, and more - including that Steve Bannon loved her which was as big a red flag as there could be. I have no idea why she was a Democrat, and wouldn't be surprised that if she tries her hand at another campaign, it won't be as one.
Of course, you drank the kool-aid

No surprise there

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see what you're saying. I'm not a Democrat so I can't speak for them, but I read enough of them to have an idea.

Serendipitously, I literally just read this today, it was just posted today, from a commentator I visit regularly.

He makes the point that Democrats campaign on substance and Republicans on emotion.

I'm just an average citizen. I don't know how you fix that.

Substance isn't sexy but a big GOP non-stop rage machine is sexy to those who feed off shared outrage.
The best comparison is a multi-car pile up … people tend to gawk at the mayhem…