Well, That's That

Buzzword

11230843_10102808753881672_4670342543889938442_n.jpg

And now that our nation has achieved what we students of history knew all along we would achieve, how many conservatives who threatened to leave, divorce, or set themselves afire will actually demonstrate some integrity and follow through?

Or will they say a prayer to St. George Wallace and devote all their energy to circumventing the court's ruling and the constitution's protection of the inalienable rights of their fellow citizens?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The mopping up operation will take a long time, to be sure, but this is hugely significant. For all intents and purposes...it's over.

Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Jose Fly

how many conservatives who threatened to leave, divorce, or set themselves afire will actually demonstrate some integrity and follow through?

I think we all knew those sorts of statements were just emotional hyperbole. However, I'll be watching for the total collapse of western civilization and/or the United States, since that's what the right-wing generally predicted would happen once gays were allowed to marry.

Christian Liberty

I think we all knew those sorts of statements were just emotional hyperbole. However, I'll be watching for the total collapse of western civilization and/or the United States, since that's what the right-wing generally predicted would happen once gays were allowed to marry.

Give it 100 years or so.

jeffblue101

AS written the "right" to gay marriage won't stand, the consequences to christian organizations are far too grave and direct for many Christians to remain political disconnected or neutral.

Alate_One

No biblical basis for Homosexuality being civilization destroying. No historical basis either.

I don't understand the society level opposition to same-sex marriage by Christian groups. Christians are to be the light of the world by their own actions, I've never seen a verse where Christians are told to force nonbelievers to comply with Christian standards.

There was open homosexuality throughout ancient Rome and that empire lasted almost 500 years. And none of the apostles felt the need to change Roman society, at least there are no letters concerning such ideas.

jeffblue101

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us/schools-fear-impact-of-gay-marriage-ruling-on-tax-status.html
Even so, said Eugene Volokh, a law professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, religious schools have real reasons for concern.

“If I were a conservative Christian (which I most certainly am not),” he wrote on a law and religion email list, “I would be very reasonably fearful, not just as to tax exemptions but as to a wide range of other programs — fearful that within a generation or so, my religious beliefs would be treated the same way as racist religious beliefs are.”

fool

Hall of Fame
AS written the "right" to gay marriage won't stand, the consequences to christian organizations are far too grave and direct for many Christians to remain political disconnected or neutral.

What consequences?

Alate_One

I don't see any reason for alarm. Pastors already refuse marriage to heterosexual couples they don't approve of. When have pastors in the USA been compelled to perform any religious rite against their beliefs?

There will be (and already are) churches that perform and accept gay marriage so there are options for those that want a church wedding.

Jose Fly

“If I were a conservative Christian (which I most certainly am not),” he wrote on a law and religion email list, “I would be very reasonably fearful, not just as to tax exemptions but as to a wide range of other programs — fearful that within a generation or so, my religious beliefs would be treated the same way as racist religious beliefs are.”

That doesn't make sense. There are still racist religious beliefs out there, even to the point where racist organizations still legally exist and have free speech protections. There even was a case relatively recently where a church refused to conduct a wedding ceremony for an interracial couple. No one was arrested, fined, or had any legal action taken against them at all. Sure, there was public backlash (which there should be), but no official government action.

musterion

I don't see any reason for alarm. Pastors already refuse marriage to heterosexual couples they don't approve of. When have pastors in the USA been compelled to perform any religious rite against their beliefs?

There will be (and already are) churches that perform and accept gay marriage so there are options for those that want a church wedding.

You completely miss the point of all this. It's not about marriage equality and never has been. But you won't believe that until the first report of a Bible only pastor who is brought up on charges for refusing to preside over a homosexual ceremony. I'm not sure you'll believe it even then, but we'll find out soon enough. Just like sodomites went out looking for businesses who'd refuse their demands, so sodomites will now be out looking for churches who'll refuse their demands.

Wait and see.