What Actually Comes Next : RedState's portents of social media fascism to come

GFR7

The author is not saying Twitter and Facebook have no right to suspend theses accounts; he's merely pointing out that - as they are so huge in social media - the effect will be chilling. Something to ponder, I think.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've never once run into anything that had a lasting "chilling effect" on the Internet. If anything we usually see the exact opposite. Streisand Effect, anyone?

Jose Fly

I think what the author means to say is that mainstream social media like Twitter and Facebook will increasingly silence conservative dissent. Yes, conservatives can start their own, but it will be a fringe, off the beaten track.

Then it must be a fringe, off the beaten track, point of view.

Jose Fly

So fringe, off the beaten track points of view are found mostly in fringe, off the beaten track outlets. I can't say that I'm surprised by that.

PureX

I think what the author means to say is that mainstream social media like Twitter and Facebook will increasingly silence conservative dissent.
The simple fact is that true entrepreneurship is antithetical to conservatism. The whole impetus of conservatism is to maintain (conserve) the status quo, so people who tend to think outside the box (which is essential to entrepreneurship) will tend not to be conservative. What they will be, by nature, is progressive.

Welcome to reality.

What you don't understand, and probably can't ever really understand, is that conservatism, by itself, is inherently dysfunctional. It's a one-legged man in a two-legged world. Conservatism that does not act as a counterweight to progressivism is just pointless atrophy.
Yes, conservatives can start their own, but it will be a fringe, off the beaten track.
Only hyper-conservatism, and dysfunctional conservatism will be relegated to the impotent fringe. And rightly so, given it's obsession with itself.

GFR7

The simple fact is that true entrepreneurship is antithetical to conservatism. The whole impetus of conservatism is to maintain (conserve) the status quo, so people who tend to think outside the box (which is essential to entrepreneurship) will tend not to be conservative. What they will be, by nature, is progressive.

Welcome to reality.

What you don't understand, and probably can't ever really understand, is that conservatism, by itself, is inherently dysfunctional. It's a one-legged man in a two-legged world. Conservatism that does not act as a counterweight to progressivism is just pointless atrophy.
Only hyper-conservatism, and dysfunctional conservatism will be relegated to the impotent fringe. And rightly so, given it's obsession with itself.
Okie :plain: