What Denomination/Religion Are You?

Daniel1769

This thread has probably been done before, but since TOL only has broad descriptions available on profiles, a thread every now and again to refresh your memory of who is on TOL might be okay. So what is your denomination? If you're not Christian at all, what is your religion?

Daniel1769

Independent Baptist

Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
Eternal security of the believer
King James Only
Autonomy of the local church

Robert Pate

Banned
This thread has probably been done before, but since TOL only has broad descriptions available on profiles, a thread every now and again to refresh your memory of who is on TOL might be okay. So what is your denomination? If you're not Christian at all, what is your religion?

I use to be a Baptist until I discovered the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

Now, I am just what I should be, a Christian. No religion needed.

COGTHW

Holiness, for He that was call me is Holy.
Revelation 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Denominations are man made, religion got started by man. It's holiness or nothing.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Alphabet Soup........

Alphabet Soup........

~*~*~

This should be fun,

While my own 'inner essence' transcends denomination, label or name, being 'pure spirit', descriptions of my theology can include or synergize a broad canvas of schools, traditions, studies and explorations, since all I Am is consciousness, living thru this temporary personality template ;)

God is Spirit (Light-Energy-Awareness)

My current title says 'Eclectic Theosophist', since I'm pretty eclectic as well as a 'theosophist' which describes a student of the ancient wisdom, the universal truth-principles (in their meanings and values) found in almost all major religious traditions and schools of philosophy. In this sense, I'm a universalist since reality is universal. It would appear both Spirit and Nature is my religion, being that my own 'being' and the laws that govern or coordinate the conditions and destiny of my being derive from the One Universal SOURCE, since there is nothing outside of that ONE. There is only this One infinite Life....or IFNINITY. Call it 'God', 'Deity', 'The One', 'The All', 'Spirit', 'Soul', 'Infinite Intelligence', etc. - As there are different terms for one 'thing' or 'being' in different languages, the meaning or value usually accorded to such terms or names is similar, pointing to or describing the same 'life-essence'. Since our consciousness points us back towards its source, there is only that One ROOT, the substratum from which all springs. That is IT. No other. God is One without a second,...there is none besides God. God is all. Duality or multiplicity is only an appearance or illusion that arises in the One Infinite Awareness.

~*~*~

"I am that I am, and I will be whatever I will to be". - and even so, as much as 'God' has created me in his own image and likeness, with co-creative powers and freedom of self-determination,....my own 'essence' or 'being' is not different or separate from 'God', although I may use my creative powers or will towards ends that are not life-enhancing or procreative. In any case,...the one LIFE that 'God' IS, is the only life there is, and this Infinite Presence is all-encompassing, as the totality itself apart from which nothing can exist, all possibilities and potentials deriving from this central source whose omnipresence fills all space and time.

"I am no-thing....and every-thing" :) - this describes me metaphysically ;) - I am spirit incarnate.

Life is One. Life is All There IS. Here, Now, forever. If 'God' is the one eternal, infinite, absolute and ultimate reality-source of one and all, then there is only God. God is IT...the one sole reality....all else are just expressions or manifestations of God, or God's shadow (the play of creation, which is a play of the duality of light and darkness, good and evil, polarity, etc.). - this is All there IS. There is nothing 'else'...except what one assumes in the many illusions of perception,...which are mere appearances (and dis-appearances) that arise in this great Ocean of Consciousness.

So back to your original question. I currently do not claim a 'denomination', yet I can play with or affiliate with any I so choose...at any point in space or time. Pretty amazing eh?

What Religion? well,....Spirit and Nature,...since these are essential and cosmic realities with their own laws and rhythmic patterns. There is the cosmos, and cosmic laws and principles. This is it. From here all your schools of philosophy, science and metaphysics flow. Religion is born out of recognizing the ethics or moral values associated with these principles,...their meanings, how they function in relationship. With that, I'm fine with being a spiritualist, theosophist, gnostic or universalist...since these can apply as descriptions. My theology is more pan-en-theistic and monist at times,...but is also mono-theistic as well, since there is only One Infinite LIFE, who is the Father-Mother-God of all creation. Some from the outside may describe me by other terms or denominations - ha! - and some seem to have a heyday doing it :) - I continue on in the trend of "creative dialogue" and "expanding consciousness",....nonetheless :surf:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
~*~*~

This should be fun,

While my own 'inner essence' transcends denomination, label or name, being 'pure spirit', descriptions of my theology can include or synergize a broad canvas of schools, traditions, studies and explorations, since all I Am is consciousness, living thru this temporary personality template ;)

God is Spirit (Light-Energy-Awareness)

My current title says 'Eclectic Theosophist', since I'm pretty eclectic as well as a 'theosophist' which describes a student of the ancient wisdom, the universal truth-principles (in their meanings and values) found in almost all major religious traditions and schools of philosophy. In this sense, I'm a universalist since reality is universal. It would appear both Spirit and Nature is my religion, being that my own 'being' and the laws that govern or coordinate the conditions and destiny of my being derive from the One Universal SOURCE, since there is nothing outside of that ONE. There is only this One infinite Life....or IFNINITY. Call it 'God', 'Deity', 'The One', 'The All', 'Spirit', 'Soul', 'Infinite Intelligence', etc. - As there are different terms for one 'thing' or 'being' in different languages, the meaning or value usually accorded to such terms or names is similar, pointing to or describing the same 'life-essence'. Since our consciousness points us back towards its source, there is only that One ROOT, the substratum from which all springs. That is IT. No other. God is One without a second,...there is none besides God. God is all. Duality or multiplicity is only an appearance or illusion that arises in the One Infinite Awareness.

~*~*~

"I am that I am, and I will be whatever I will to be". - and even so, as much as 'God' has created me in his own image and likeness, with co-creative powers and freedom of self-determination,....my own 'essence' or 'being' is not different or separate from 'God', although I may use my creative powers or will towards ends that are not life-enhancing or procreative. In any case,...the one LIFE that 'God' IS, is the only life there is, and this Infinite Presence is all-encompassing, as the totality itself apart from which nothing can exist, all possibilities and potentials deriving from this central source whose omnipresence fills all space and time.

"I am no-thing....and every-thing" :) - this describes me metaphysically ;) - I am spirit incarnate.

Life is One. Life is All There IS. Here, Now, forever. If 'God' is the one eternal, infinite, absolute and ultimate reality-source of one and all, then there is only God. God is IT...the one sole reality....all else are just expressions or manifestations of God, or God's shadow (the play of creation, which is a play of the duality of light and darkness, good and evil, polarity, etc.). - this is All there IS. There is nothing 'else'...except what one assumes in the many illusions of perception,...which are mere appearances (and dis-appearances) that arise in this great Ocean of Consciousness.

So back to your original question. I currently do not claim a 'denomination', yet I can play with or affiliate with any I so choose...at any point in space or time. Pretty amazing eh?

What Religion? well,....Spirit and Nature,...since these are essential and cosmic realities with their own laws and rhythmic patterns. There is the cosmos, and cosmic laws and principles. This is it. From here all your schools of philosophy, science and metaphysics flow. Religion is born out of recognizing the ethics or moral values associated with these principles,...their meanings, how they function in relationship. With that, I'm fine with being a spiritualist, theosophist, gnostic or universalist...since these can apply as descriptions. My theology is more pan-en-theistic and monist at times,...but is also mono-theistic as well, since there is only One Infinite LIFE, who is the Father-Mother-God of all creation. Some from the outside may describe me by other terms or denominations - ha! - and some seem to have a heyday doing it :) - I continue on in the trend of "creative dialogue" and "expanding consciousness",....nonetheless :surf:

In other words, he's a "spiritualist/occultist Cultist."

marhig

I'm a follower of Jesus Christ like the early church before man made Christian churches were formed, we meet in each others homes as they did in the first century and we read the KJV of the Bible as we believe that this is the best translation, we also have a copy of the Aramaic Bible, but we mostly only use the KJV. We believe in the only true God the father, and his son Jesus who is the Christ, whom the father sent to bare witness to the truth. And we believe that those who hear the word and believe and have faith in God and Christ are forgiven of their past sins by the grace of God, and they should then deny themselves, bare their cross and follow Jesus and turn from sin. And once they are born and of God, then Christ by the spirit strengthens us to overcome Satan everyday, saving us from sin, as long as we obey God and do his will and turn away from the lusts if our flesh and this world. And we believe that we are to endure to the end to be eternally saved, as Jesus Christ taught in the gospel.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I'm a follower of Jesus Christ like the early church before man made Christian churches were formed, we meet in each others homes as they did in the first century and we read the KJV of the Bible as we believe that this is the best translation, we also have a copy of the Aramaic Bible, but we mostly only use the KJV. We believe in the only true God the father, and his son Jesus who is the Christ, whom the father sent to bare witness to the truth. And we believe that those who hear the word and believe and have faith in God and Christ are forgiven of their past sins by the grace of God, and they should then deny themselves, bare their cross and follow Jesus and turn from sin. And once they are born and of God, then Christ by the spirit strengthens us to overcome Satan everyday, saving us from sin, as long as we obey God and do his will and turn away from the lusts if our flesh and this world. And we believe that we are to endure to the end to be eternally saved, as Jesus Christ taught in the gospel.

good testimony:) thank you.

TrevorL

I consider that fellowship is firstly and primarily with God the Father and with His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a very personal position, and any fellowship with others then flows from this. I seek to fellowship others who have a similar understanding of the gospel and share the life in Christ that results from this belief.

A first step in understanding the gospel and the fellowship that flowed from this is found in the following:
Acts 8:5,6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

This speaks of various things, concerning the Name and the Kingdom, and each of these need to be expanded to come to the scope of the gospel preached. Acts 2 and 3 supply some of this detail.

The following are a few aspects which I espouse and share in fellowship with others:
1. There is one God, the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
2. Jesus’ teaching and example are to be a pattern for all of his disciples.
3. Jesus in his crucifixion, death and resurrection opened the way for forgiveness of our sins, and the hope of our resurrection when he returns.
4. We identify with his death and resurrection when we believe the gospel and are baptised into his death and resurrection. He is thus our representative, not substitute.
5. Jesus will return from heaven, raise the dead who sleep in the dust, and rule over Israel and the nations for 1000 years upon the throne of David. We do not go to heaven at death.

Kind regards
Trevor