What Is The Bible About?

DLH

If you ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses what the Bible is about I think they will probably answer correctly. Word for word: it's about the vindication of Jehovah God's name through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. I don't know where they got that, but it's right on. I use it myself all the time. That is what the Bible is about.

The salvation of mankind, believe it or not, is only a part of that.

I don't agree with everything the JWs believe, but I've noticed that when you ask them about the Bible, they can give a good answer. With the traditional mainstream Christian that doesn't seem to be the case - I think - because their reasoning is clouded by traditional theological nonsense that mostly comes from Greek philosophy.

Okay. So let's keep this short.

After a brief prologue from Genesis 1:1 - 3:15 which deals with the creation of life, the universe and everything and Adam's disobedience, the Bible tells of Jehovah God's plan for mankind's salvation from destruction. Before I get into that I would briefly point out that elsewhere throughout the Bible it is made pretty clear that prior to the creation of the not so subtly aforementioned Douglas Adams reference, Michael, who is the spirit creature that came to earth as Jesus Christ, was created first. Then the spiritual heavens, the remainder of the spirit beings and only then the heavens and earth.

Returning to Jehovah's plan, it was this:

1. Select a group of people. Jews.
2. Form a nation for those people. Israel.
3. Demonstrate to them what was going on by establishing a law which they couldn't keep due to their imperfection, or their incompleteness. Sin.
4. Provide a way out through a Messiah or Christ. Salvation.

Last edited: