why did John water baptize Jesus ?

Right Divider

Body part
I disagree.
That's OK, you've been wrong before.
I disagree.
That's OK, you've been wrong before.
I have noticed that he never calls water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins a Jewish water ceremony.
But it was only preached to and by the Jews. Water baptism was not something new at the time of John the baptizer. Israel had water baptism for a very long time.

Right Divider

Body part
@Hoping

Mal 3:1-3 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:1) Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. (3:2) But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he [is] like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: (3:3) And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

This is the baptism of fire that John the B was talking about.

Hoping

Banned
@Hoping

Mal 3:1-3 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:1) Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. (3:2) But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he [is] like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: (3:3) And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

This is the baptism of fire that John the B was talking about.

John said exactly what the baptism of fire was in the verse following his announcement of it.
It is written..."Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (Matt 3:12)

If it is the "baptism of fire" that Malachi cites, it must have already happened while Jesus was here.
As it is now Jesus' blood that purifies men of sin in the NT, The only person who would fit the Mal. 3:2 "his coming", is John himself.
That would allow them to offer 3:3's "an offering in righteousness."
No offerings will be made in heaven, after the end of the world, do you think?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If "no one cares", an argument can't be made.

Quit obfuscating.

You said:

I disagree.

I disagree.

I said, in response:

No one cares. Make an argument!

No one cares THAT YOU DISAGREE. Your disagreement doesn't mean anything to anyone, nor does it make you right or us wrong. Your personal opinions carry no weight whatsoever. THUS: MAKE AN ARGUMENT! Or else find a different hobby.

Right Divider

Body part
John said exactly what the baptism of fire was in the verse following his announcement of it.
It is written..."Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (Matt 3:12)
Yes, that fire was to purge ISRAEL per the scripture that I showed you (among others).
If it is the "baptism of fire" that Malachi cites, it must have already happened while Jesus was here.
Wrong, as usual.
As it is now Jesus' blood that purifies men of sin in the NT, The only person who would fit the Mal. 3:2 "his coming", is John himself.
That would allow them to offer 3:3's "an offering in righteousness."
No offerings will be made in heaven, after the end of the world, do you think?
Clueless, you are.

Hoping

Banned
Quit obfuscating.
You said:
I said, in response:
No one cares THAT YOU DISAGREE. Your disagreement doesn't mean anything to anyone, nor does it make you right or us wrong. Your personal opinions carry no weight whatsoever. THUS: MAKE AN ARGUMENT! Or else find a different hobby.
My point had already been made, in post #18.