Why do national leaders only get a few years?

rexlunae

In the entire history of the United States, we've had only one President who served longer than 8 years. And all of them have been up for reelection every 4. So, to buy into the premise of the thread, you have to believe that the United States has never accomplished anything. It's just a plainly silly argument. And a professional (neutral, nonpartisan) bureaucracy is a deliberate part of the system, that stabilizing force you're so keen on. It protects all of us from the worst excesses of political leaders.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To buy into the premise of the thread, you have to believe that the United States has never accomplished anything.
No, you don't.

North Korea has accomplished things. Iran has accomplished things. Saudi Arabia has accomplished things.

You've bought in to a logical fallacy.

A professional (neutral, nonpartisan) bureaucracy is a deliberate part of the system, that stabilizing force you're so keen on. It protects all of us from the worst excesses of political leaders.

You'll have to find something I said to argue against, not something you wish I'd said.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

rexlunae

You introduced a greater standard for qualification than the one I presented.

My assertion is that term limits are a hindrance to progress, not that they make advancement impossible.

It hasn't seemed to slow us down. I don't know how you're measuring this, but there's also a risk of stagnation if the same people run things unchallenged forever.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It hasn't seemed to slow us down. I don't know how you're measuring this, but there's also a risk of stagnation if the same people run things unchallenged forever.
The same people can't run things forever. People die. Bureaucracies don't.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The same people can't run things forever. People die. Bureaucracies don't.

Bureaucracies are rule by committee. Committees have a hard time deciding things.

One of the main reasons we lost the Vietnam war was that we had a committee running the military, and not a single general.

How much better could a country be ruled if, like a proper military, it had one person running things, and people under him to lighten the burden?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Bureaucracies are rule by committee. Committees have a hard time deciding things.

One of the main reasons we lost the Vietnam war was that we had a committee running the military, and not a single general.

How much better could a country be ruled if, like a proper military, it had one person running things, and people under him to lighten the burden?

And if Truman had not fired MacArthur we would have been involved in an all out war with China.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Nations seem to think it's a good idea to change leaders every few years. Why?

A few years on the job and then out is no way to generate stability and progress. It can take people in normal jobs that long to become proficient at what they do. Why on Earth would we make a system where nobody could ever become a truly competent national leader?

What you'll get is a bureaucracy taking over.

:think:

What we've got is bureaucracies in control.

Letme guess...you wanna give Trump about twenty unimpeded years (or so) to work on his political chops? :chuckle:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Letme guess...you wanna give Trump about twenty unimpeded years (or so) to work on his political chops? :chuckle:
If I had the authority (Arty, don't even start, we know you would hate it if I had any authority at all) to do so, I would set up a lottery to determine who would rule.

Cast lots to choose one of the 50 (or 51 if we include Puerto Rico) states. Then, cast lots for which county. Then for which township, neighborhood, street, block, house or residential building, (then which apartment, if necessary,) family, and then cast lots for the males in the family.

Whoever is chosen will rule, or if the child is incapable of ruling due to maturity, the head of the military will rule until the child is mature enough, at which point, the child will begin to rule. Whoever is chosen would rule until the day he dies.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
If I had the authority (Arty, don't even start, we know you would hate it if I had any authority at all) to do so, I would set up a lottery to determine who would rule.

Cast lots to choose one of the 50 (or 51 if we include Puerto Rico) states. Then, cast lots for which county. Then for which township, neighborhood, street, block, house or residential building, (then which apartment, if necessary,) family, and then cast lots for the males in the family.

Whoever is chosen will rule, or if the child is incapable of ruling due to maturity, the head of the military will rule until the child is mature enough, at which point, the child will begin to rule. Whoever is chosen would rule until the day he dies.

Hard to think of a more irrational way to chose government officials.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

Whoever is chosen will rule, or if the child is incapable of ruling due to maturity, the head of the military will rule until the child is mature enough, at which point, the child will begin to rule. Whoever is chosen would rule until the day he dies.[/QUOTE

And only males, or course.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

How is it irrational?

It's literally the most fair way to choose a leader.

I guess I forgot to mention, that once a king is chosen, a hereditary monarchy would be established, where the oldest son would rule after the king dies, and so on. If the king does not have any sons at the time of his death, then his wife, the queen, or if none, his oldest daughter, or if none, his chief military officer, will oversee the next lottery.

Correction to what I said above, as far as order of location of the lottery...

First, lottery of states, then a county, then a municipality, then a neighborhood, then a block, then a family, then within that family a man of any age, whom the Overseer crowns King.

And only males, of course.

Do you think I'm a sexist for wanting a man to lead the country, as men usually have better leadership skills?

If you're going to accuse me of something, don't do it offhandedly. Don't be a coward, Jonah.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At least with a random draw, there's a chance a good guy will get chosen.

With democracy, you're guaranteed to get a politician.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
At least with a random draw, there's a chance a good guy will get chosen.

With democracy, you're guaranteed to get a politician.

I find it interesting that Jonah likes to mock Christians for their ideas, yet never has the urge to defend his position.
[MENTION=16750]Jonahdog[/MENTION] why is that?

I mean, this IS a forum for discussion...

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
I find it interesting that Jonah likes to mock Christians for their ideas, yet never has the urge to defend his position.
[MENTION=16750]Jonahdog[/MENTION] why is that?

I mean, this IS a forum for discussion...

Your ignorance has nothing to do with your religion.