• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why Evolution is real science - let's settle this "debate"!

Derf

Your understanding of this text is in error.

Source: Exodus 20
Au contraire. All you done is offered another viewpoint, but you haven’t shown why your viewpoint is correct. The more obvious is that it is talking about actual days, with an evening and a morning, since that’s what’s described in both the Exodus 20 passage (sabbath day) and the Gen 1 passage (evening and morning, the nth day). Sure, it’s possible to come up with another interpretation, but your whole reason for doing so is that you think you have extra-biblical evidence to show that the normal, or more obvious, interpretation is incorrect.

You won't last long here calling admins cultists.
Well, I've been called a lot of names so far in this thread and no one has stuck up for my right to have an accepted recognized Christian opinion. If people can't make a point without name calling, their point is not worth reading.

I have been following the cults since I read my first Walter Martin book in the '80s. I've seen the vitriol of YEC against anyone who disagrees with them. A certain portion of the YEC are definitely cultists, imo. Not all, but those embracing pseudoscience denying the facts presented to them ... It's like conversing with flat-earths proponents. I am an OEC. If I'm not welcome here because of my OEC beliefs, it's better to know now than later. I AM NOT AN EVOLUTIONIST.

Au contraire. All you done is offered another viewpoint, but you haven’t shown why your viewpoint is correct. The more obvious is that it is talking about actual days, with an evening and a morning, since that’s what’s described in both the Exodus 20 passage (sabbath day) and the Gen 1 passage (evening and morning, the nth day). Sure, it’s possible to come up with another interpretation, but your whole reason for doing so is that you think you have extra-biblical evidence to show that the normal, or more obvious, interpretation is incorrect.
How do you know my reason for accepting an interpretation at odds with YEC? Must I accept YEC to be saved? Why are YEC so vicious?

Right Divider

Body part
Well, I've been called a lot of names so far in this thread and no one has stuck up for my right to have an accepted recognized Christian opinion. If people can't make a point without name calling, their point is not worth reading.
I've not called you names, but I am asking for actual science instead of your opinion about it.

Why are you afraid to discuss the actual science?
I have been following the cults since I read my first Walter Martin book in the '80s.
So what?
I've seen the vitriol of YEC against anyone who disagrees with them.
So what?
A certain portion of the YEC are definitely cultists, imo.
Again, I don't care what you opinion is... stick to the FACTS.
Not all, but those embracing pseudoscience denying the facts presented to them ... It's like conversing with flat-earths proponents.
Fallacious argument. Guilt by FALSE association.
I am an OEC.
Yes, you've made that clear... but you've NOT explained WHY you believe that the earth is millions/billions of years old.
You made THIS claim:
I believe there is enough scientific evidence to prove the earth is orders of magnitude older than Young Earth Creationists would have you believe.
Put it out here... show some of this "scientific evidence".
If I'm not welcome here because of my OEC beliefs, it's better to know now than later.
Your INSULTS to the ADMINS here is what is not welcome. Discussion of FACTS is what we want.
I AM NOT AN EVOLUTIONIST.
GOOD FOR YOU.

Gary K

Banned
I've not called you names, but I am asking for actual science instead of your opinion about it.
I've already provided the information you request in previous posts. I've been called a number of names, whether you did or not, I'm not going to waste time going through my posts.
Why are you afraid to discuss the actual science?
The important science is the age of the earth and universe. I've already provided ample information via links.
Again, I don't care what you opinion is... stick to the FACTS.
All I've read by you is opinions.
Fallacious argument. Guilt by FALSE association.
Your opinion is not fact.
Yes, you've made that clear... but you've NOT explained WHY you believe that the earth is millions/billions of years old.
You made THIS claim:

Put it out here... show some of this "scientific evidence".
I've already provided multiple links on this subject.
Your INSULTS to the ADMINS here is what is not welcome. Discussion of FACTS is what we want.
I was returning what I perceived to be getting. It seems like every fact I've linked to is ignored. No one here wants to discuss facts. Check the posts, I wasn't the one who started the insults. I regret responding to them and will report every insult aimed at me from now on.

Right Divider

Body part
I've already provided the information you request in previous posts.
Well ... I've not seen them. It would by nice if you could at least point to one or two.
I've been called a number of names, whether you did or not, I'm not going to waste time going through my posts.
Whatever.
The important science is the age of the earth and universe.
Wrong.
I've already provided ample information via links.
Provide one or two here, so I can see what you're talking about.
All I've read by you is opinions.
I wasn't making the claim about long ages... YOU WERE.
Your opinion is not fact.
I never claim that my opinions are facts. You are unwilling to give me a single fact regarding the CLAIM that YOU MADE!
I've already provided multiple links on this subject.
Where?
I was returning what I perceived to be getting.
Are your perceptions correct?
It seems like every fact I've linked to is ignored.
Give me a couple.
No one here wants to discuss facts.
That is EXACTLY what I want to discuss... but you won't do it.
Check the posts, I wasn't the one who started the insults. I regret responding to them and will report every insult aimed at me from now on.
I'm not a post historian.

Perhaps you could just give a FEW examples of the "enough scientific evidence to prove the earth is orders of magnitude older than Young Earth Creationists would have you believe."

You suggest I look outside of the Bible to prove what is in the Bible ? I believe that to be backwards. Now I understand why folks deny what scripture actually says to accept what scripture does not teach.
I suggest you look at Biblical Commentaries like Unger's Commentary Old Testament (2 Vols), Bible Knowledge Commentary (2 Vols), etc. Consider
(Jeremiah 4:23) I looked on the earth, and behold, it was without form and void; and to the heavens, and they had no light. [ESV]

The commentaries mentioned are my favorites, but by no means my only commentaries. I bought my Unger's about 40 years ago and is extremely hard to find. You can get the Bible Knowledge Commentary and Jamison-Faucett-Brown for e-Sword as well as many others fine commentaries.

marke

(Genesis 1:1) In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth—
(Genesis 1:2) the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness is on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters, [Young's Literal Translation]

Since you appear to be cherry-picking translations to get it to say what you want like most cults do, I guess you missed what the Young's Literal Translation says in Genesis 1:1-2. In verse 2, Genesis clearly indicates that the heavens and earth existed prior to the six days of creation, thereby proving the supposition of Old Earth Creation. QED
I prefer the KJV, not Young's Translation. Young's Translation, however, is not the only translation to translate the word "replenish" as "fill" in the Genesis passage. The KJV also translated the same Hebrew word as "fill" in dozens of other verses. Why? Because that is what the Hebrew word means.

marke

So Gleason Archer was not a flawed, sinful human being? He is supposed to be God?

"Science" is the product of flawed, sinful human beings so it is flawed itself. Flawed, sinful human beings, especially those who deny the power, righteousness and existence of God, cannot produce a perfect product.
Archer did not believe in the inerrancy of the Bible as he should have. He was one of the original translators of the NASB, a corrupted version of the Bible. He took accepted beliefs that were wrong and spent years reconciling those erroneous beliefs with erroneous interpretations of scriptural passages in unwise efforts to make the errors justifiable.

marke

(Genesis 1:1) In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth—
(Genesis 1:2) the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness is on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters, [Young's Literal Translation]

Since you appear to be cherry-picking translations to get it to say what you want like most cults do, I guess you missed what the Young's Literal Translation says in Genesis 1:1-2. In verse 2, Genesis clearly indicates that the heavens and earth existed prior to the six days of creation, thereby proving the supposition of Old Earth Creation. QED
You claim God hints at another earth that no longer exists, that must have also had a beginning, making the word "the beginning" in the KJV an erroneous choice of wording. Did humans occupy that first earth? God says nothing about that. Did humans on the first earth fall into sin? God says nothing about that. In fact,m God says nothing about any existing earth anywhere but in just a handful of verses that can be misinterpreted to give the wrong impression that there was a pre-existing earth before the beginning.

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

marke

Your understanding of this text is in error.

Source: Exodus 20
Here is what your unwise teacher says in your source:

If we assign 24-hour days to the days of creation, then the fossil record and astronomy does not match the Bible's account of creation. However, the Genesis account of creation matches perfectly with the scientific record of creation that we see in the fossil record, when understood within an old earth framework. The “days” of creation cannot be thought of in man’s time, but in God’s time. It is clear that God is breaking down the events of creation by events, not by time, since He is not bound by time.

The unwise teacher is clearly attempting to reconcile erroneous assumptions of old ages with the biblical account of creation. He make several noticeable errors. First, he assumes God measures time at creation differently than we measure our time. The Bible does not say that, he just wrongly assumes that.

Another error he makes is assuming the fossil record is evidence of long ages of gradual fossilization instead of rapid burial and preservation of living creatures and mud by a giant flood. He clearly does not understand the process of fossilization and does not understand what the fossil record truly teaches.

He assumes that the days of creation were actually long periods of time, not days as we know it. That mistaken assumption gives him no explanation for the fact that God created plant life one day but did not create the sun until the next day. True science cannot accept the idea that plant life existed on earth for millions of years before God created the sun.

And so forth.

marke

I suggest you look at Biblical Commentaries like Unger's Commentary Old Testament (2 Vols), Bible Knowledge Commentary (2 Vols), etc. Consider
(Jeremiah 4:23) I looked on the earth, and behold, it was without form and void; and to the heavens, and they had no light. [ESV]
The earth was without form and void, literally as well as figuratively, and there was no light in the heavens until God created lights in the heavens on the first 24-hour day of creation.