Why is it that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Real Sorceror said:
What I mean to say is, if your looking for someone who shoots magical fire, you wont find it, becuase thats not how magic works. Magic opperates within natural boundries, it just stacks the deck in your favor.
What I find extremely interesting is that magical "deck-stacking" returns results that are completely indistinguishable from chance. One supposes that's because the magic (conveniently enough) doesn't always work... :think:
I'm of the opinion that magical forces are weaker on Earth than they are on other dimensions (ex. Heaven or Hell). If you where to visit another dimension, maybe you could shoot fire. It wont work here though.
Now you're faced with demonstrating that "other dimensions" (Heaven, Hell, the Q Continuum, etc.) exist. Good luck on that.

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
What I find extremely interesting is that magical "deck-stacking" returns results that are completely indistinguishable from chance. One supposes that's because the magic (conveniently enough) doesn't always work... :think:
Yes, magic often looks like chance, fate, destiney, etc. What would you expect it to look like? Your just focusing energy to bring about a certian outcome. Energy is not normally visible to the naked eye.
Now you're faced with demonstrating that "other dimensions" (Heaven, Hell, the Q Continuum, etc.) exist. Good luck on that.
This simply cant be done without someone either going there or someone coming back. We would need incredible technology to travel to another dimension, if that is even possible at all.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Real Sorceror said:
Yes, magic often looks like chance, fate, destiney, etc.
Except when it doesn't, right?
What would you expect it to look like? Your just focusing energy to bring about a certian outcome. Energy is not normally visible to the naked eye.
That makes magic indistinguishable from intent. What I'm trying to drag out the supernaturalists is "What Is The Difference?" If magic returns results that are indistinguishable from chance, why bother using something so unreliable?
This simply cant be done without someone either going there or someone coming back. We would need incredible technology to travel to another dimension, if that is even possible at all.
If the destination cannot be observed, why posit its existence?

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
Except when it doesn't, right?
......right.
That makes magic indistinguishable from intent. What I'm trying to drag out the supernaturalists is "What Is The Difference?" If magic returns results that are indistinguishable from chance, why bother using something so unreliable?
Yes, thats exactly what magic is. Magic is all about manifesting your intent and will. If you know what your doing, its actually quite reliable.
If the destination cannot be observed, why posit its existence?
Why not?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Real Sorceror said:
Yes, thats exactly what magic is. Magic is all about manifesting your intent and will.
I'm manifesting my intent and will right now, by typing this post. Where does magic enter into that equation?
If you know what your doing, its actually quite reliable.
Unfortunately, magic does not appear able to do anything I might find useful, like getting rid of the large tree stump in my back yard.
Well, if positing the existence of places that cannot be observed gives you pleasure, I can't very well argue with that.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Real Sorceror said:
:rolleyes:
Gerald, somehow you manage to make athiesm look like a religion.
For it to be a religion, there must be an object (or objects) of worship.

All hail Observation! Verification and Analysis be Praised!

Acetylsalycilic! Phenobarb and Arsephenamine!

:think:

Nah, it just isn't the same. :chuckle:

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
I'm manifesting my intent and will right now, by typing this post. Where does magic enter into that equation?
You are producing energy just by talking to me right now. All actions produce or use energy. Poof. Magic. Your will is known to me know. None of these things seem supernatural becuase they are so mundane and normal. They have become natural.
Unfortunately, magic does not appear able to do anything I might find useful, like getting rid of the large tree stump in my back yard.
Have you tried just digging it up? Magic cant solve everything. "Spellslingers" have to eat, sleep, and breath just like everyone else.
Well, if positing the existence of places that cannot be observed gives you pleasure, I can't very well argue with that.
Fair enough.

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
How's about we establish what it can solve? That seems to be rather nebulous...
I'm pretty inexperienced in that area. My knowledge of what spells are out there and which ones work is really limited. I can tell you that the various witches and wizards portrayed in fantasy novels and TV shows are very inaccurate and way more powerful than the real thing. Magic is subtle, its not flashy or obvious.

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
So subtle that it might not even be noticed.

Convenient, that... :chuckle:
:think: yes, almost too convenient
So am I the only person here who has any knowledge of magic? All these Christian here agree it exists, but they certianly dont like talking about it!

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Real Sorceror said:
So am I the only person here who has any knowledge of magic?
So, how about describing a successful spell that you've cast?

Present the formulae, and detail your results.

Of course, having said this:
Real Sorcerer said:
I'm pretty inexperienced in that area. My knowledge of what spells are out there and which ones work is really limited.

...I'm not entirely sure the "knowledge of magic" is something you can lay claim to.

koban

Real Sorceror said:
:think: yes, almost too convenient
So am I the only person here who has any knowledge of magic? All these Christian here agree it exists, but they certianly dont like talking about it!

Sure - pick a card, any card! :chuckle:

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
So, how about describing a successful spell that you've cast?

Present the formulae, and detail your results..
I'd prefer not to, if thats alright with you.
...I'm not entirely sure the "knowledge of magic" is something you can lay claim to.
We can safely say I know more than you.

Real Sorceror

Gerald said:
...folks who claim to have had encounters with allegedly supernatural entities or occurences always clam up when pressed to provide evidence supporting the notion that what they experienced was, in fact, supernatural?
Real Sorceror said:
I'd prefer not to, if thats alright with you.
:doh: Oh............damn. I just..........damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.