Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Passengers forced open the doors on a busy rush-hour train and climbed on to tracks after becoming "panicked" in the carriage.

It happened outside Wimbledon station in south-west London at 08:30 BST as a man apparently began reading lines aloud from the Bible.

Commuters became scared when the man also began saying "death is not the end", a passenger said.

Rail power lines were cut as passengers "self-evacuated", police said.

Trains on the route were disrupted for nearly 12 hours, but are now running normally.

Ian, who was on the train, said the man's Bible-reading led to a "commotion" and a "crush".

He said someone then asked the man to stop speaking "as he was scaring people" and "the guy stopped and stood there with his head down".

The train had been travelling between Shepperton and London Waterloo. British Transport Police (BTP) said no arrests had been made.

A Network Rail spokesperson said no passengers or train staff were injured but "significant delays" would continue on services in and out of Waterloo.

Wow, witnessing panics people in the uk? Death isnt the end, we arent worm food when we die physically, we live on in spirit, where we spend that time, depends on whether or not we receive the pardon for sin offered by Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:3–6

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died mfor our sins nin accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day pin accordance with the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.

Romans 10:9-10

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

The gospel is the good news that God loves the world enough to give His only Son to die for our sin (John 3:16). The gospel is good news because our salvation and eternal life and home in heaven are guaranteed through Christ (John 14:1–4). “He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you” (1 Peter 1:3–4).

The gospel is good news when we understand that we do not (and cannot) earn our salvation; the work of redemption and justification is complete, having been finished on the cross (John 19:30). Jesus is the propitiation for our sins (1 John 2:2). The gospel is the good news that we, who were once enemies of God, have been reconciled by the blood of Christ and adopted into the family of God (Romans 5:10; John 1:12). “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1). The gospel is the good news that “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1).

To reject the gospel is to embrace the bad news. Condemnation before God is the result of a lack of faith in the Son of God, God’s only provision for salvation. “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son” (John 3:17–18). God has given a doomed world good news. Why would anyone reject the gospel?

https://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-the-gospel.html

I wonder what they all were so afraid of?

Danoh

Its very simple - context.

The context that man's words were perceived in.

Giving the ever worsening, possibly religious nut job post 911 context we now live in, any individual going off on Scripture - especially in a confined space - has to be considered a possible life-threat.

He...should have thought of that.

Sort of like back when I was handing out a flyer for a business I was opening.

Most people would shun taking one.

Curious, I began asking people what they'd thought the flyer was.

Most related their having thought it was possibly one those various "end of the world" nonsense all sorts of groups pester people with.

Others related having thought it was possibly one of those pyramid schemes some people go around attempting to recruit others into.

So I revised my approach to holding up the flyer so they could see what it was as I headed towards them - at which point, I'd say something like "here's a great new store; perhaps you know someone looking for a really cool discount - have a nice day."

I later taught a version of it to an Evangelistic group passing out gospel tracts.

Big, big difference in its reception also.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope this is not taken the wrong way, but I DO have a problem with the story.

If I am riding a train, or bus, or some other public transport; the last thing I want to have to listen to is some stranger giving a speech or reciting a book out loud.

There was no 'tone' mentioned of the man doing this.
So don't know if he was just reading to himself with a low voice, or if he was reciting fire and brimstone as some street preachers do.

With all the protests, muggings, and killings going on right now, taking a loud stand in a cramped public space will definitely make folks panicky.
So I can understand why folks were uneasy if he was talking loud.
I mean, it's not like some Christian nut couldn't get on crowded bus and holler "GOD is going to destroy the wicked, and I'm here to help Him!" bang bang

What you posted does say that he was asked to stop because folks were uneasy about it, and he stopped.
So kudos to him for stopping.

glorydaz

Yep, I agree. The best way to share the Gospel is face to face when someone expresses a lack of hope or fear. This is especially true with all the nut cases out there. The last thing we need is for Christians to act like the other nuts.

Arthur Brain

I hope this is not taken the wrong way, but I DO have a problem with the story.

If I am riding a train, or bus, or some other public transport; the last thing I want to have to listen to is some stranger giving a speech or reciting a book out loud.

There was no 'tone' mentioned of the man doing this.
So don't know if he was just reading to himself with a low voice, or if he was reciting fire and brimstone as some street preachers do.

With all the protests, muggings, and killings going on right now, taking a loud stand in a cramped public space will definitely make folks panicky.
So I can understand why folks were uneasy if he was talking loud.
I mean, it's not like some Christian nut couldn't get on crowded bus and holler "GOD is going to destroy the wicked, and I'm here to help Him!" bang bang

What you posted does say that he was asked to stop because folks were uneasy about it, and he stopped.
So kudos to him for stopping.

Quite, and kudos to you for acknowledging this. The London underground is claustrophobic enough as it is and the last thing people need is someone spouting off as this guy did.

Arthur Brain

Wow, witnessing panics people in the uk? Death isnt the end, we arent worm food when we die physically, we live on in spirit, where we spend that time, depends on whether or not we receive the pardon for sin offered by Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:3–6

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died mfor our sins nin accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day pin accordance with the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.

Romans 10:9-10

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

https://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-the-gospel.html

I wonder what they all were so afraid of?

That he might have been some nut with a bomb. If you've never traveled on the 'tube' in London then you're ignorant as to just how uncomfortable and packed such trains are, especially during commuting hours without some crank going on about death on top of it...I know you think you're making a point of some sort here but most people don't believe in the type of doctrine you do as it is Angel.

glorydaz

Quite, and kudos to you for acknowledging this. The London underground is claustrophobic enough as it is and the last thing people need is someone spouting off as this guy did.

Yeah, you guys let in so many Muslims, it's no wonder the people are so on edge when riding mass transit.

I don't think it's nearly so bad in the States, as yet.

glorydaz

That he might have been some nut with a bomb. If you've never traveled on the 'tube' in London then you're ignorant as to just how uncomfortable and packed such trains are, especially during commuting hours without some crank going on about death on top of it...I know you think you're making a point of some sort here but most people don't believe in the type of doctrine you do as it is Angel.

It has nothing to do with Angel's "doctrine", Artie.

The "tube" is over there and we are over here.

Arthur Brain

Yeah, you guys let in so many Muslims, it's no wonder the people are so on edge when riding mass transit.

I don't think it's nearly so bad in the States, as yet.

Muslims aren't the problem, it's extremists and not all of those happen to be Islamic as you should surely be aware.

Arthur Brain

Just keep telling yourself that Muslims aren't a problem for your country, but don't try and push your liberal nonsense onto me.

Extremists and crackpots are the problem, something which the average Muslim isn't. There's nothing "pushy" or "liberal" about stating basic common sense.

Arthur Brain

Try reading their holy book, and then exercise that common sense you claim to have.

Oh please. Some of your brethren think we should execute homosexuals and adulterers and yet they're in a tiny extremist minority so stop being a dope and put the tin foil hat down. I live near a mosque and have worked with and been friends with Muslims so get a grip.

glorydaz

Oh please. Some of your brethren think we should execute homosexuals and adulterers and yet they're in a tiny extremist minority so stop being a dope and put the tin foil hat down. I live near a mosque and have worked with and been friends with Muslims so get a grip.

My goodness but you think highly of yourself. You're getting a bit boring, however. :sigh: