Wind in my hair. :)

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
My state has no helmet law for motorcycle riders. It is time for a new bike. I want something light and easy to handle yet still cruise worthy. Any suggestions?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I had a Triumph Bonneville 650 in the 70's.
I have a Kawasaki 750 Vulcan now.
Something along those lines would be good.
They discontinued the Vulcan.
Triumph Bonneville can still be had.
Either can be had on E-Bay.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Wear a helmet.
I would not be here now, had it not been for a helmet.
Any other safety-wear is advisable, as well.
I intend to buy an Aeorostich soon.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I had a Triumph Bonneville 650 in the 70's.
I have a Kawasaki 750 Vulcan now.
Something along those lines would be good.
They discontinued the Vulcan.
Triumph Bonneville can still be had.
Either can be had on E-Bay.

Thanks, but those bikes are awfully big for me. If I ever laid one down I would need help to get it upright again.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I had a Honda Spirit before my 750 Vulcan.
I was easing along about 20 -25 MPH on a curvy two lane blacktop.
Suddenly someone came around the curve on my side of the road and I had no choice but to run off to the edge of the road. It was sandy. I slid and laid it down. My body slammed down on my left side and my helmeted head went ker-whap on the pavement. When I stopped I couldn't get the bike off of me because the shifter peddle had penetrated my left shoe between my foot and the shoe sole. The car that I encountered didn't stop. I finally managed to unpin myself and get the bike up. The left crash bar was bent around the engine but the bike was still rideable. I limped back home.
This was actually a minor incident compared to many, but my helmet was road scraped and I hate to think what my head would have been like without it.
I repaired the bike and sold it. I never felt completely safe and in control of that bike.
The Vulcan feels like it's a part of me, an extension of my body, and I feel very confident on it.
As careful as we can be, we can never predict what the other folks on the road might do to place us in danger.

WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Get some good leather too. And for anybody just starting out, always have this attitude whenever you're riding, "EVERYBODY else is somehow trying to KILL ME." It'll drive your awareness to the level you need to stay safe.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Get some good leather too. And for anybody just starting out, always have this attitude whenever you're riding, "EVERYBODY else is somehow trying to KILL ME." It'll drive your awareness to the level you need to stay safe.

It sure seems that way at times.

Typically, people driving cars and trucks are focusing on other cars and trucks and they tend to not see motorcycles.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It sure seems that way at times.
I think that it's literally the most accurate attitude to have when you're just learning how to be safe out there, because sometimes there appears to be no other logical explanation for what's happening. Just tell yourself, They're trying to kill me, I cannot trust them to keep me safe, I have to do it myself.
Typically, people driving cars and trucks are focusing on other cars and trucks and they tend to not see motorcycles.
Right. For those driving cars and trucks, when you're behind a bike it's easy to creep in closer than you would when trailing another car or truck. Leave them more room than you ordinarily would, it'll keep them safe from suddenly being run over from behind, by giving you enough time to respond to any sudden need to stop.

fool

Hall of Fame
Wear a helmet.
If you won't please, please, please fill out you organ donor card. If you won't protect yourself we can at least use your parts.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
381 pounds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Boulevard_S40

650 cc single

Suzuki-Boulevard-S40-2016-city-bike.jpg

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
or, one i'd like to get someday

vintage mobylette:

892086Motobecaneav79.png

Makes me think of my youth when I was adapting Brigss&Stratton and Clinton engines to bicycles.
Those were the days when I would go to bed with Harley Super 10 brochures under my pillow.
As well as my longing for a Cushman Silver Eagle.