ECT You are unique in the body of Christ, just like everyone else in the body of Christ

oatmeal

I Corinthians 12:27

Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

What makes you unique?

How do you best function in the body?

How do you fit in?

What does God want you to do? I Corinthians 12:18

It is important that we sharpen our thinking on this subject.

If we do not recognize our God given role in the body, how can we carry that out?

Paul was an apostle to the Gentiles

Peter concentrated for a time on the Judeans

Ananias was the bold individual disciple that God had minister to Saul of Tarsus.

Romans 16:1-16

Romans 12:1-8

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

What are you supposed to be doing?

oatmeal

If your answers to the questions of the OP is no one else's business, please contribute how you found out or something else relevant

oatmeal

Quite a challenge!

If you don't know, do think it would be a good idier to larn wut is is?

oatmeal

Quite a challenge!

If you don't know, do think it would be a good idier to larn wut is is?

How do you find out what God has planned for you?

Start by doing His word that you do know and see where your strengths are.

oatmeal

Tough questions?

Take your time, easy to condemn others for their wrong doctrine, but are you believing God's word?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Tough questions?

Take your time, easy to condemn others for their wrong doctrine, but are you believing God's word?

Good thread subject and posts. i see more folks opening up and sharing lately, or i choose to, either way. i have explained numerous times what worked for me. every member has something to contribute. to be honest, i procrastinate, and "intend" to read more and pray. between work, family and life, i put things off. we all get the same 24 hours and they fill up fast. some people don't want to appear weak or unsure and vulnerable. No Sacrifice - No Surrender - good luck with that, to the prideful wise ones

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Well I know what mine is. To demonstrate the Holy Spirit. I find out whether someone's faith is in themselves and human wisdom. Or in the power of God through the Holy Spirit.

1 Cor 2:1-5

1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
(NKJ)

oatmeal

Good thread subject and posts. i see more folks opening up and sharing lately, or i choose to, either way. i have explained numerous times what worked for me. every member has something to contribute. to be honest, i procrastinate, and "intend" to read more and pray. between work, family and life, i put things off. we all get the same 24 hours and they fill up fast. some people don't want to appear weak or unsure and vulnerable. No Sacrifice - No Surrender - good luck with that, to the prideful wise ones

True, that is a reason for people to hold back.

I understand that completely.

I had to question and challenge myself to contribute to my own thread.

There are times I find teaching satisfying, searching out verses relevant to a topic intrigues me.

Finding that I have memory that serves me well for answering with scripture is another aspect I find some strength in. Jesus Christ told his disciples that God would help them along when they needed to remember things they attentively learned.

oatmeal

Well I know what mine is. To demonstrate the Holy Spirit. I find out whether someone's faith is in themselves and human wisdom. Or in the power of God through the Holy Spirit.

1 Cor 2:1-5

1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
(NKJ)

That is a powerful service.

We most certainly want our lives to be founded on the rock of truth, not on sinking sand

oatmeal

There are many aspects of service to and within the body.

I Corinthians 12:28-30 lists more.

However, the list of service to the body is not limited to lists within scripture.

We find that Peter's actions tell us that he was an explorer and adventurous individual. Only Jesus Christ and Peter are recorded to have walked on water, what courage and fortitude! Is any wonder that God chose Peter to first go to the Gentiles? Acts 10-11

We see Barnabas who was called "son of consolation" , paraklesis, to call along side for to comfort or exhort.

We see that Peter and John were adept at healing

As was Paul.

Organizing a meeting is useful to the body. Someone has to do it.

Some are very adept at that.

These functions can be physical, mental and/or spiritual, usually taking all three to function fully.

TFTn5280

I Corinthians 12:27

Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

What makes you unique?

How do you best function in the body?

How do you fit in?

What does God want you to do? I Corinthians 12:18

It is important that we sharpen our thinking on this subject.

If we do not recognize our God given role in the body, how can we carry that out?

Paul was an apostle to the Gentiles

Peter concentrated for a time on the Judeans

Ananias was the bold individual disciple that God had minister to Saul of Tarsus.

Romans 16:1-16

Romans 12:1-8

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

What are you supposed to be doing?

Well I can certainly agree with the premise of this thread. And a very good topic it is.

I've got a question for you. I know that my gifts are two-fold: Knowledge and Teaching. God granted me these gifts and he has ever so graciously, uniquely prepared me to use them, including having blessed me with the confidence to use them in the face of opposition. Now, tell me: what does it say about you or any other Christian who refuses to respect those gifts? whose absolute full-on assault against them is completely grounded in that disrespect, buttressed in misinformation, and fueled by nothing other than pride and prejudice? My question to you is, do you really believe the premise of your thread, and what are you going to do to demonstrate it? Have a great day. I'll eagerly await your reply.

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well I can certainly agree with the premise of this thread. And a very good topic it is.

I've got a question for you. I know that my gifts are two-fold: Knowledge and Teaching. God granted me these gifts and he has ever so graciously, uniquely prepared me to use them, including having blessed me with the confidence to use them in the face of opposition. Now, tell me: what does it say about you or any other Christian who refuses to respect those gifts? whose absolute full-on assault against them is completely grounded in that disrespect, buttressed in misinformation, and fueled by nothing other than pride and prejudice? My question to you is, do you really believe the premise of your thread, and what are you going to do to demonstrate it? Have a great day. I'll eagerly await your reply.

Many a supposed teacher goes astray from their calling and becomes filled with their own importance. This is normal and the Lord steers men away from it, but few listen to Him.

Read carefully the second chapter of 2 Peter.

Pro 5:1 My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
Pro 5:2 That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
Pro 5:3 For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
Pro 5:4 But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
Pro 5:5 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
Pro 5:6 Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
Pro 5:7 Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
Pro 5:8 Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
Pro 5:9 Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:
Pro 5:10 Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
Pro 5:11 And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
Pro 5:12 And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
Pro 5:13 And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
Pro 5:14 I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.
Pro 5:15 Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
Pro 5:16 Lest thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
Pro 5:17 Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee
Pro 5:18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
Pro 5:19 Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
Pro 5:20 And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
Pro 5:21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
Pro 5:22 His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins.
Pro 5:23 He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Consider Joseph.

Temptations awaited him in Potiphar's house.

His ministry flourished in the prison.

Gen 39:1 And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmeelites, which had brought him down thither.
Gen 39:2 And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian.
Gen 39:3 And his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand.
Gen 39:4 And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand.
Gen 39:5 And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field.
Gen 39:6 And he left all that he had in Joseph's hand; and he knew not ought he had, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured.
Gen 39:7 And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.
Gen 39:8 But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand;
Gen 39:9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?
Gen 39:10 And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her.

LA

TFTn5280

Many a supposed teacher goes astray from their calling and becomes filled with their own importance. This is normal and the Lord steers men away from it, but few listen to Him.

There's one of you now.

I've been a very successful teacher in two settings: to university students who have yet to plant themselves in a belief system; and to inmates in a maximum security prison.

I have yet to gain much success teaching evangelicals, however. My belief: because they're inmates of a system far more restrictive than prison: they are prisoners of their own fallen structures. More later.

T

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There's one of you.

I've been a very successful teacher in two settings: to university students who have yet to plant themselves in a belief system; and to inmates in a maximum security prison.

I have yet to gain any measurable success teaching evangelicals, however. My belief: because they're inmates of system far more restrictive than prison: they are prisoners of their own demise. More later.

T

What do you mean by "theres one of you"?

LA

TFTn5280

What do you mean by "theres one of you"?

LA

I'm back.

Tell me, LA, what did you learn in the Trinity discussion? Days I spent trying to reach you. In response you treated me with vehemence. I'm not trying to be mean, but you have an unteachable disposition.

Here’s how I came to the assurance that I had correctly identified my gifts. I realized that I was myself a learner; that is, I am equipped to recognize truth when confronted with it, and then able to quickly incorporate it into my own belief systems, even when it runs counter to beliefs already firmly seated in my cognitive networks. Don’t believe me? I have had a rather startling epiphany as it relates to Trinity in just the last two days ~ ask PneumaPsucheSoma. He knows. You see, God’s teachers do not long lead Christians into error. The gift includes a spirit for truth.

T

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm back.

Tell me, LA, what did you learn in the Trinity discussion? Days I spent trying to reach you. In response you treated me with vehemence. I'm not trying to be mean, but you have an unteachable disposition.

Here’s how I came to the assurance that I had correctly identified my gifts. I realized that I was myself a learner; that is, I am equipped to recognize truth when confronted with it, and then able to quickly incorporate it into my own belief systems, even when it runs counter to beliefs already firmly seated in my psyche. Don’t believe me? I have had a rather startling epiphany as it relates to Trinity in just the last two days ~ ask PneumaPsucheSoma. He knows. You see, God’s teachers do not long lead Christians into error. The gift includes a spirit for truth.

T

I only call into the net read some and message some then leave.

You could have messaged me.

Give me links to your posts.

LA

TFTn5280

Egalitarianism is a western liberal construct; it is Utopian and it’s a failed enterprise, proven by the mediocrity it leaves in its wake. And yet, nowhere is it more prevalent as an ideology than in the conservative evangelical Church of America. You know what’s appealing about Catholicism? Those people are teachable. BTW, since many of you won’t receive me as a teacher, you can look up the definition of Egalitarianism yourselves. And let me give you a clue as to where you’re not going to find it ~ in the Bible, because it isn't there.

I’m going to back on out of this thread and let the Holy Spirit do whatever convicting is necessary.

Blessings,

T

Last edited: