2014 was World's Warmest Year on Record

rexlunae

And all this will slow down or possibly reverse global warming and the rising ocean levels?

It would certainly buy us some time. I don't know how much of an impact it would make, but when part of the reason that fossil fuels are cheaper than renewables is that the government is making sure of that fact...it could radically alter the economic calculus. Once renewables are cheaper than fossil fuels, it won't even take much effort. We would start switching to renewables because of sheer economics alone.

We are here in California.

http://www.hsr.ca.gov/

Kinda. It's a start. In any other country, they might ask how it is that we don't have high-speed rail between two of our largest cities that are so close to each other. For comparison sake, China and Russia are building high-speed rail between Moscow and Beijing, which is a bit more ambitious, in that it is the distance equivalent of high-speed rail from New York to Los Angeles, twice.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business...uilds_moscow_to_beijing_high_speed_train.html

Japan has their Shinkansen, France their TGV, and really there are a bunch of others. It kinda puts our efforts to connect the two largest cities in the largest state in the country into humbling perspective, don't you think? Especially since the projection is that it won't even meet the definition of high speed rail in a lot of places.

what argument are you referring to?

The argument that we can't afford to stop global warming.

That is not my point at all. My point is that in the future China and India will have a demand for tens of millions more automobiles. Unless China/India plan to only use Tesla Motors cars then that will be a major hindrance in reducing man made pollution.

Tesla is a great company, and I think they are doing some very important innovating. However, they have this one important downside. Because people are focusing on their efforts, we aren't paying attention to the efforts of incumbent manufacturers. I drive a Fiat (i.e. Chrysler) 500e most days. I have a 2-year lease, and I pay $136/month for it. It's cheap, for a brand new car. It only has about a 75 mile range, but I never have to buy gas, and it works for probably 90% of what I need to do. At this moment, all Teslas are luxury cars. I wish I could afford one. But we shouldn't let the desire for the perfect stop us from opting for the better.

China is facing an ecological crisis and a public health crisis. Already, they've had to ban cars from their major cities at times, and that problem is only going to get worse as time goes on and their economy develops further. An electric car may seem impractical to some, but what if it was the only type of car allowed in a city? It would have to become really practical, really fast. And the Chinese are going to probably face a situation where they are forced to adopt a policy like that at least part of the time, not because of global warming, but for basic public health reasons. India, which is even more densely populated, is going to face the same problem if they reach the same level of economic development as China. You simply can't have a city of 24 million people, all of whom drive cars that give off smog on a daily basis.

Of course, the other solution that is already in place in a lot of countries is just less reliance on the automobile. But we're decades from that situation in the US, even if we started working on it today.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Would you care to answer the questions I asked you in post #13 of this thread?

The questions are rudimentary and don't justify my energy bill going up 12 percent and 43 billion in taxes going into the government. If you are perfectly fine with that, then let me tax you for breathing, with all that carbon dioxide :rolleyes:

If there was no money to be made, global warming would not exist. People who believe it are suckers, I'm not even going to mince words there, it's a mashup of politically correct, taxing, sheepish nonsense.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The questions are rudimentary and don't justify my energy bill going up 12 percent and 43 billion in taxes going into the government.

Which is why I propose ethical solutions, by which I mean solutions in which everyone benefits, including you. LED bulbs can save you money on your energy bill.

I forgot to mention that a number of power companies throughout the country offer rebates to their customers for purchasing LED light bulbs. You see, electric companies do such things as offer rebates for LED bulbs because it's cheaper for them to do that than it is for them to build new electrical power plants. Check out this link to see if your electric company offers such rebates:

http://www.earthled.com/pages/current-led-light-bulb-rebates#.VLmBdi7EYh9

Jose Fly

If there was no money to be made, global warming would not exist. People who believe it are suckers, I'm not even going to mince words there, it's a mashup of politically correct, taxing, sheepish nonsense.
Because you say so? Fundies sure are odd creatures.

Alate_One

The questions are rudimentary and don't justify my energy bill going up 12 percent and 43 billion in taxes going into the government. If you are perfectly fine with that, then let me tax you for breathing, with all that carbon dioxide :rolleyes:
Breathing releases CO2 that was already in the air - the crops you eat captured it. Fossil fuels release CO2 that was stored in the ground - adding to what is in the atmosphere.

Physics works because there's money to be made? :rolleyes:

You know where the real money is being made? Oil. Who do you think funds the "skeptics" the other side is so enthralled with?

The same thing happened when the whale oil producers were faced with competition from petroleum.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Let's be honest here. We can go on and on about the causes on global warming. Let's assume for argument's sake the global warming is mostly man made. So what are we (humanity) supposed to do about it?

Technology. The car I'm driving now works better than the ones I drove before milage rule came in and it pollutes less and runs much more efficiently. Buildings cost less to heat, light, and cool. One of the major reasons that energy is cheaper, is demand is falling as people find ways to use it more efficiently. On the plains, more and more electricity is being generated by wind, as farmers realize a new source of income.

We aren't helpless. Nor should we just crawl in a hole and give up.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
We aren't helpless. Nor should we just crawl in a hole and give up.

We are about as helpless as agreeing with an outrageous tax for something in which the tax isn't even going to.

We should crawl in a hole and give up. With a gun. Because this world is full of sheep and wolves aren't gonna go hungry.

Alate_One

We are about as helpless as agreeing with an outrageous tax for something in which the tax isn't even going to.
Huh? A green tax, taxes greenhouse gas producing industries and the money is used to subsidize carbon neutral alternatives.

We should crawl in a hole and give up. With a gun. Because this world is full of sheep and wolves aren't gonna go hungry.
Cause crawling in holes has always solved big problems in the past . . .

genuineoriginal

You can say that, but it's a little hard to believe when it keeps getting warmer. Global Warming is actually scientific fact, supported by lots of experimental evidence.

It's funny how politics makes all facts mutable, though.
Yes, it is amazing how science shows a correlation between solar flares and high earth temperatures, but politics claim it is caused by man made carbon dioxide.
CMX_cyclus.png

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
f3573c4d9c25594820def2dfa067c366.jpg

Actually, solar flares and to greater degree, sunspots can indeed warm the Earth. But...

Temp%26SolarActivityRev.png

We're in a rather profound sunspot minimum. And yet it's getting warmer. Something is overriding the effect of reduced solar activity. Guess what it is.

Morpheus

Huh? A green tax, taxes greenhouse gas producing industries and the money is used to subsidize carbon neutral alternatives.

Cause crawling in holes has always solved big problems in the past . . .

Without change he will be in a hole sooner than he thinks. He won't need the gun though.

Alate_One

I think Musterion thinks this:

This is Marxism (bad):
Prairie_Flowers_8322.jpg

Spoiler

53_1sol_duck_trees_iq180_01_final_adj_ii.jpg

This is Capitalism (good):
skytruth_peru.jpg

Spoiler

dsc_0103.jpg

Too much reading of Ayn Rand does that to people.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Breathing releases CO2 that was already in the air - the crops you eat captured it. Fossil fuels release CO2 that was stored in the ground - adding to what is in the atmosphere.
And where did the carbon in the ground come from? :rolleyes:

Berean is asking the right questions. Global warmists demand taxes and legislation, but they ignore the supposed problem.

There is no way to stop people digging stuff up and adding to the "problem."

All of the "solutions" involve increased restrictions on freedom when the reason for the warming is not yet understood.

rexlunae

All of the "solutions" involve increased restrictions on freedom when the reason for the warming is not yet understood.

How is being forced to buy energy from fossil fuel energy companies more free than having cheap renewable energy?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How is being forced to buy energy from fossil fuel energy companies more free than having cheap renewable energy?

What? :AMR:

It's not.

People should not be taxed to encourage adherence to an ideal, no matter how much "evidence" anyone throws at the issue.

And begging the question is a logical fallacy.