58 Dead, 500 Plus Wounded

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
First all, thoughts, prayers and condolences to those hurt, their families and all my friends over there in the states.

Today's a day when us Brits see this on the news we are shocked and saddened and many ask the questions. "Why don't they get this? How many times does have to happen for it to shrink in?"

Even though i'm unrepentant raging gun control advocate with you guys.

I do listen and hear your position and your arguments. I talk about the link the constitution makes between freedom and gun ownership. I talk about Americans wanting to take personal responsibility for there families safety. I can relay the fear of armed criminal elements in society and people not wanting to face that unarmed.

But after doing that I look at the stats again, I look at the news again, I see the pictures, I then think about the thousands of Americans who die every year, who probably wouldn't die if they lived in a country with better gun laws, and I have to be that 'stoopid' liberal voice.

A few perceptions from someone out of the situation who doesn't really have an axe to grind, but feels he needs to speak the truth as he sees it to friends.

• Thousands of Americans suffer directly and indirectly every year from gun crime that they would not suffer if they lived in a country with European style gun laws.
  • The basic freedoms shared by people in Europe are Similar to those in the states even though we don't high levels of gun ownership
  • The Levels of other violent crime are broadly similar so we don't see gun violence transfer to the use of cars, bombs and knives taking anywhere near the numbers of lives guns take in the US, those things happen but at similar rates to the US.
  • We've had a bad year in terms of terrorist attacks with bombs and vehicles used in Europe, real bad, you've probably seen the news. But ball parking it america still see's 50 gun deaths for every terrorist associated death in the Europe. (about 200 to 10,000, real ball parked figures)
  • Incidents like today's thought they grab the news, its just the tip of the iceberg. For every person killed today 100 to 300 more Americans will die this year by guns dependent on how you want to read the stats.

I hope everyone here and their loved ones are well, and hope these perceptions at least make you think. I know it is not a popular view in these parts, but it need saying.

911 shows you dont need a gun to kill a large number of people. No, your gun control manta doesn't need saying - guns save far more lives and protect more property than people get killed by them. Check those facts. Sadly its not in the liberal interest to broadcast the truth.

My son was shot in the head on the freeway driving home from work most likey so someone could join a gang in one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in America - the murderer wasn't the gun. It was the thug.

Liberals slap criminals on the wrist here. Oh and whats your crime rate over there, pretty bad i would imagine and no way to defend yourself.

jeffblue101

yes he did, i saw it on his own page, was it hacked?

I quoted it from his own page. He blamed it on white privilege.

pay close attention to the twitter handle of the user you cited. [MENTION=86]David[/MENTION]Letternan ‏ is a parody of account of the real @Letterman

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
pay close attention to the twitter handle of the user you cited. [MENTION=86]David[/MENTION]Letternan ‏ is a parody of account of the real @Letterman

Google and other news agencies are citing it also as him saying it, show me where hes denying it, please. Also other stars are agreeing and adding their input.

Perhaps the news article mispelled his last name, but they linked his page, i went there and verified it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Law enforcement people have known for a long time that domestic terrorism is a much larger threat to America than Muslim terrorism.

Hopefully, this will prove to be another mentally-disturbed person, and not one more angry white guy out to get even for perceived loss of privilege.

I suspect it will turn out that he was insane, (after all, if he wanted to take out minorities, I can't think of a worse place than a CW concert, unless it would be a NASCAR event) but we need to wait and see.

jeffblue101

Google and other news agencies are citing it also as him saying it, show me where hes denying it, please. Also other stars are agreeing and adding their input.

Perhaps the news article mispelled his last name, but they linked his page, i went there and verified it.

it happens a lot on twitter where troll accounts trick journalists and other famous people

jeffblue101

these trolls thrive on people confusing their accounts with the real ones. that's why I make a point to click on every tweet and check the page for famous people.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
it happens a lot on twitter where troll accounts trick journalists and other famous people

Weird, its a few years old account, and news agencies are citing it as his. The ones saying its fake are news agencies ive never heard of, google was even citing it as stand alone as tweets in response to the tragedy.

Sorry, im going to need him say he never said it, as im not seeing detractions from main news sites, yet.

jeffblue101

Law enforcement people have known for a long time that domestic terrorism is a much larger threat to America than Muslim terrorism.

Hopefully, this will prove to be another mentally-disturbed person, and not one more angry white guy out to get even for perceived loss of privilege.

I suspect it will turn out that he was insane, (after all, if he wanted to take out minorities, I can't think of a worse place than a CW concert, unless it would be a NASCAR event) but we need to wait and see.

calling a evil individual like this man mentally disturbed is disrespectful to all the individuals living with mental issues.

This Charming Manc

911 shows you dont need a gun to kill a large number of people.

Agreed but that doesn't mean that Guns are not an issue, but since 911 we have 17 years of 10 -15,000 Americans killed with guns, add another 10,000 per year if you want to add suicides and accidents.

So being conservative domestic gun ownership has done 100 times more damage to america than 911 has in that time.

No, your gun control manta doesn't need saying - guns save far more lives and protect more property than people get killed by them. Check those facts. Sadly its not in the liberal interest to broadcast the truth.

I have checked those 'facts' they are only seen as credible by the NRA and there close supporters. If they were true, and they saved 80 lives for ever life they take. That would make Americans 160 times more murderous than there European counterparts, I find that argument hard to believe.

My son was shot in the head on the freeway driving home from work most likey so someone could join a gang in one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in America - the murderer wasn't the gun. It was the thug.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Gun control doesn't seek to take the responsibility of a crime away from perpetrator. It seeks to take the ability to kill easily and effectively away from an attacker. Gang violence exists across borders and we have them in the UK. We find that gangs with knives and fists kill a lot less people than gangs with guns. ( and yes our gun laws mean most of the time gangs do not have guns).

Liberals slap criminals on the wrist here. Oh and whats your crime rate over there, pretty bad i would imagine and no way to defend yourself.

Don't assume go check the stats, not the stuff the NRA or the like give you. go to source. I've tried and found clear comparisons are hard to do, due to different definitions, but i'm left thinking its pretty similar apart from the gun crime anomilies.

jeffblue101

Weird, its a few years old account, and news agencies are citing it as his. The ones saying its fake are news agencies ive never heard of, google was even citing it as stand alone as tweets in response to the tragedy.

Sorry, im going to need him say he never said it, as im not seeing detractions from main news sites, yet.

the real David Letterman account----> https://twitter.com/Letterman
the fake one with the white privilege tweet---> https://twitter.com/DavidLetternan
the real one has a check next to his name meaning that it has been verified by twitter.

This Charming Manc

jeffblue101

Agreed but that doesn't mean that Guns are not an issue, but since 911 we have 17 years of 10 -15,000 Americans killed with guns, add another 10,000 per year if you want to add suicides and accidents.

So being conservative domestic gun ownership has done 100 times more damage to america than 911 has in that time.

I have checked those 'facts' they are only seen as credible by the NRA and there close supporters. If they were true, and they saved 80 lives for ever life they take. That would make Americans 160 times more murderous than there European counterparts, I find that argument hard to believe.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Gun control doesn't seek to take the responsibility of a crime away from perpetrator. It seeks to take the ability to kill easily and effectively away from an attacker. Gang violence exists across borders and we have them in the UK. We find that gangs with knives and fists kill a lot less people than gangs with guns. ( and yes our gun laws mean most of the time gangs do not have guns).

Don't assume go check the stats, not the stuff the NRA or the like give you. go to source. I've tried and found clear comparisons are hard to do, due to different definitions, but i'm left thinking its pretty similar apart from the gun crime anomilies.

America is a very big country, there are lots regions of America where gun violence is at par with Switzerland but the urban centers mostly controlled by democrats which are the main culprits for a higher national gun violence rates

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
First all, thoughts, prayers and condolences to those hurt, their families and all my friends over there in the states.

Today's a day when us Brits see this on the news we are shocked and saddened and many ask the questions. "Why don't they get this? How many times does have to happen for it to shrink in?"

Even though i'm unrepentant raging gun control advocate with you guys. I do listen and hear your position and your arguments.

I talk about the link the constitution makes between freedom and gun ownership. I talk about Americans wanting to take personal responsibility for there families safety. I can relay the fear of armed criminal elements in society and people not wanting to face that unarmed.

But after doing that I look at the stats again, I look at the news again, I see the pictures, I then think about the thousands of Americans who die every year, who probably wouldn't die if they lived in a country with better gun laws, and I have to be that 'stoopid' liberal voice.

A few perceptions from someone out of the situation who doesn't really have an axe to grind, but feels he needs to speak the truth as he sees it to friends.

• Thousands of Americans suffer directly and indirectly every year from gun crime that they would not suffer if they lived in a country with European style gun laws.
  • The basic freedoms shared by people in Europe are Similar to those in the states even though we don't high levels of gun ownership
  • The Levels of other violent crime are broadly similar so we don't see gun violence transfer to the use of cars, bombs and knives taking anywhere near the numbers of lives guns take in the US, those things happen but at similar rates to the US.
  • We've had a bad year in terms of terrorist attacks with bombs and vehicles used in Europe, real bad, you've probably seen the news. But ball parking it america still see's 50 gun deaths for every terrorist associated death in the Europe. (about 200 to 10,000, real ball parked figures)
  • Incidents like today's thought they grab the news, its just the tip of the iceberg. For every person killed today 100 to 300 more Americans will die this year by guns dependent on how you want to read the stats.

I hope everyone here and their loved ones are well, and hope these perceptions at least make you think. I know it is not a popular view in these parts, but it need saying.
When are the Poms going to ban trucks?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app