A Challenge or Stripe - Can you defend one aspect of Creation Science of your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Stripe has made the following accusation against people who support the Theory of Evolution:
However, Darwinists refuse to engage respectfully with ideas that challenge their religion. By their own admission, they are solely here to mock, believing that their ideas will always trump all others.

So I issue the following challenge to Stripe:
Present one idea that challenges evolution and or support creation as the best possible explanation. Present any of your supporting evidence and documentation and we will have a respectful conversation. The respectful conversation will be over when of us is no longer respectful.

I propose the following rules to help keep the conversation on track and mutually respectful:

A lack of respect will be indicated by one of us calling the other a name, such as
  • Darwinist
  • evolutionist
  • retard
  • goof
  • fool (saying that something is foolish is not the same as saying you are fool)
  • Cabinethead
  • Stipe
  • other name other than our screen name.

It will also be over when somebody fails to address a relevant point raised by the other. A relevant point is any question or statement of fact/position that is not addressed. In essence, if you don't address the other persons point you are conceding the point to your opponent.

Finally, if you claim that you are being mocked then you must provide documentation that you are actually being ridiculed. If somebody says something like, "your definition is not supported by scientific observation," you are not being mocked and cannot claim that you are being mocked. For this discussion, mocking shall be defined as: making fun of someone or something in a cruel way; derisive..

The rules are pretty basic rules of debate but less stringent than a formal one on one.

The ball is in your court. Pick a topic. Prepare your opening post and we will go from there. This thread is open to all but the same basic rules apply to all who choose to participate.

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Make it a challenge.

Name your field and I will present a knock-out case against evolutionism.

And withdraw your silly rules. You would be the first to breach them and TOL has commandments that govern conversation just fine. :up:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Hold on, sonshine. Since when do you get to dictate the rules? They are pointless anyway; you will be first to breach them and TOL's commandments govern this place just fine.

I get to set the rules because you told me to start a thread. So I did.

If I violate the rules first then you win.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I get to set the rules because you told me to start a thread.
That makes no sense at all.

If I violate the rules first then you win.

:darwinsm: So I present a water-tight case and then you find something to be offended over — you think it's an insult to be called a Darwinist, remember — and declare victory.

Why would I be stupid enough to invest any time in that? Recall your track record with debates is to double down on your irrational responses.

exminister

I would love to see a straight up debate without derailment. I know Stripe is a bright guy, but it can degrade so quickly I don't get to see it. Well, here is hoping for a real conversation.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know Stripe is a bright guy.

It's not me. I stand on the shoulders of giants. :up:

A thumbnail sketch, a jeweler's stone
A mean idea to call my own

I am king of all I see
My kingdom for a voice

Standing on the shoulders of giants
Leaves me cold

Everybody hit the ground​

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That makes no sense at all.
Why not? Based on our past discussions, I set up some rules intended to keep us both honest. They supplement TOL rules, not replace them.

:darwinsm: So I present a water-tight case and then you find something to be offended over — you think it's an insult to be called a Darwinist, remember — and declare victory.
Thats right. If I get offended and throw a tantrum, you win. On the other hand, if respond to case and raise points of contention, then I am not offended and the conversation continues. The reverse also holds true.

Why would I be stupid enough to invest any time in that? Recall your track record with debates is to double down on your irrational responses.

Maybe because you feel that the topic is important enough to invest time in so that others can see the logic of your position.

Your debate tactic is start calling people retards or Darwinists (a made up term no less) when ever you challenged to actually defend your position.

So this is your chance. I will not violate the rules. If you claim that my response is irrational then be prepared to defend that statement. I will expect you to explain exactly what makes it irrational.

You believe that you are arguing from the stronger, more logical and rational position. Here is your chance to demonstrate that. That is why I am letting you choose the topic so that you can present your very best.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why not? Based on our past discussions, I set up some rules intended to keep us both honest.
Yeah, first, rules do not keep people honest, and second, there is only one among us who needs to be kept in check.

They supplement TOL rules, not replace them.
There is no such thing as a rule that does not come from the rulemaker. And you are not him.

Thats right. If I get offended and throw a tantrum, you win. On the other hand, if respond to case and raise points of contention, then I am not offended and the conversation continues. The reverse also holds true.
Couldn't you have put in your rules that you are not allowed to respond to things I did not say?

Maybe because you feel that the topic is important enough to invest time in so that others can see the logic of your position.
The topic is of no relevance compared with my goal.

Your debate tactic is start calling people retards or Darwinists (a made up term no less) when ever you challenged to actually defend your position.
Nope. Evidence, remember?

So this is your chance. I will not violate the rules. If you claim that my response is irrational then be prepared to defend that statement. I will expect you to explain exactly what makes it irrational.
When I have done so in the past, you double down on your nonsense. Others have had the same experience. You're not willing to abide by the limits of rational discourse or respect an opposing opinion. I think it's because you simply are not well trained in critical thinking, but then you claim some experience in these matter.

So I'm not sure; is there any point?

Let's try. Let's play under your conditions. Name a field of science and I will provide your challenge. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.