ECT A PROTESTANT HISTORIAN DISCOVERS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

Aimiel

I went to a church for years that had DEAD worship. I mean like maybe two or three minutes a year total (at most) you might sense God's Presence. I always wished that worship would go deeper. I didn't know it was so dead, just knew that I was hungry for God's Presence. A friend at work invited me to a Wednesday night 'Believer's Night' at her church one day, which she said was just worship, sometimes a couple hours and sometimes all night and I thought that sounded wonderful. I went. That night I fell in love with The Holy Ghost. I mean it was so soaking wet with The Presence of The Lord I felt like you could cut the Glory with a knife. Sometimes during worship, we'd be silenced by God and even crying babies would stop. Sometimes that would go on for a half hour or more, just soaking in His Divine Presence. I asked Him what that was all about one time, He said that He adores us so much that sometimes He just wants to reverence our time together and be still and know that we love Him. He is so Holy! That church had about 3,000 or so members, was in the 'bad' part of town and like 99% black. I joined that Sunday. I got a LOT of dirty looks from many congregants when I went there, but I didn't care: they knew how to get in God's Presence in worship and moved in the Gifts and Ministries of The Holy Spirit and that's what I wanted in my life. I attended for over five years, served in several ministries and loved every single minute I was there. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. Seeing God move and opening me up like He did and showing me what true worship is was priceless. His Glory is worth more that anyone can imagine. Our choir leader went on to Nashville, led the choir for Michael W. Smith on his worship CD's and has a successful career. My best friend moved to China and still lives there (about 20 years now) serving in ministry and taking locals on missionary trips into Tibet. My life wouldn't be the same without what I experienced there.