Abortion after 20 weeks: One woman's story

PureX

Yes, but it gets kind of foggy as to where are the lines to be drawn and by whom.
I treasure life but I understand there are conditions under which it could become intolerable. This is a discomfort zone for me.
Me too. I just watched my dad die slowly, from an incurable cancer and progressive dementia. The last few months he was already 'gone'. So why were we all putting ourselves and his body through all that suffering and difficulty just to keep his carcass breathing?

There is a point at which this must be considered. And there are instances in which this consideration effects a pregnancy. The admonishment to ban all abortion all the time is not reasonable, nor realistic, nor even humane. I think that's what the OP of this thread is pointing out.

It's also what the anti abortion people don't want to admit to because they are absolutists by nature, who want absolute solutions to circumstances that do not have absolute solutions.

Jose Fly

So if a particular government decriminalizes the killing of black people or Jews, it isn't murder?

No, it's not. "Murder" is a legal term. If it were "murder", the people carrying it out would be charged with the crime of "murder". But if what they didn't isn't illegal, they can't be charged with "murder", can they?

Jose Fly

You use things like OP to turn an emotional trick, which has been utterly exposed.

No trick, just reality. If you have a problem with it, your problem is with reality, not me.

Upholding the right to life of disabled people is on the side of good. You are far from that.

This isn't a "disabled person", like it's arm is deformed or something. The fetus had no brain. That kind of thing happens; it's just reality.

Sitamun

That's right. You're the one saying that it is OK to kill babies because they are disabled.

No, that is not what I said. Please learn the basics of biology and probably physiology as well. Complete lack of brain is not a "disability".

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you have a problem with it, your problem is with reality, not me.
What do I have a problem with?

This isn't a "disabled person", like [his] arm is deformed or something.
Sure. It's a worse deformity than a withered arm. I guess you have some scale by which deformities are ranked and people who fall on the wrong side of your standard are fodder for any treatment, including execution.

The fetus had no brain
Actually, a scan showed blackness, from which you made the judgement that he could be killed. And let's be fair: You advocate for abortion for many reasons for people with no disability at all.

Your attempts at emotional blackmail are laughable.
That kind of thing happens; it's just reality.

Who's arguing that it happens? :idunno:

You're the one saying people should be allowed to execute their children based on an ultrasound scan. That's what this is about: You advocate murder.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, that is not what I said. Please learn the basics of biology and probably physiology as well. Complete lack of brain is not a "disability".

Sure, it is. It's called anencephaly. Some people walk around for decades as normal members of society with it and never know.

You're seizing upon an emotional story to further your agenda that abortion be permitted.

You don't care about the people involved; all you're interested in is keeping up the conveyor belt of murdered children so you can sleep at night by saying your own indiscretion is just one murdered baby among millions.

Sitamun

You don't care about the people involved; all you're interested in is keeping up the conveyor belt of murdered children so you can sleep at night by saying your own indiscretion is just one murdered baby among millions.

Excuse me? That is one of the most nutso, insane, presumptive, offensive, and WRONG statements I've ever heard.

Jose Fly

What do I have a problem with?

Reality.

Sure. It's a worse deformity than a withered arm. I guess you have some scale by which deformities are ranked and people who fall on the wrong side of your standard are fodder for any treatment, including execution.

Not personally. I think that decision should be left up to the parents and their doctor.

Actually, a scan showed blackness, from which you made the judgement that he could be killed.

Yeah, "blackness" where a brain was supposed to be. And having seen the trauma that happens when such a fetus is carried to term and delivered (not to mention the health risks to the mother), I cannot force that fate on anyone. It's their decision, not mine or yours.

And let's be fair: You advocate for abortion for many reasons for people with no disability at all.

?????? I advocate for abortions? Where?

Your attempts at emotional blackmail are laughable.

Again, we see that to you, being confronted with reality = "emotional blackmail". Your problem is with reality.

You're the one saying people should be allowed to execute their children based on an ultrasound scan. That's what this is about: You advocate murder.

I guess you're sticking with this simplistic and childish talking point no matter what. Oh well....guess I can't expect much else from a fundamentalist Christian. You're probably doing the best you can.