about Bob's article on absolute or relative time

ThePhy

I certainly don't buy it. And not just because there's no proof.
Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize in theoretical physics in 1979, speaks in one of his books (now over 10 years old) of experiments specifically directed to seeing if General Relativity is correct. He claimed that it has been verified to less than 1% margin of error. No proof?
But anyone with an ounce of common sense can see how ridiculous the idea that time passes at different rates for different people, based on perspective is trash. The only thing that's relative is perception. Time doesn't change.
And now you are right back at your own personal rendition of “I just don’t believe it”.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Where do you get the ridiculous idea that common sense should be trusted when examining how the universe works?
:rolleyes:

Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize in theoretical physics in 1979, speaks in one of his books (now over 10 years old) of experiments specifically directed to seeing if General Relativity is correct. He claimed that it has been verified to less than 1% margin of error. No proof? And now you are right back at your own personal rendition of “I just don’t believe it”.
OK. What was the proof?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The thread I'm referring to is here http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=850945#post850945 where Bob explains that time is absolute and not relative. He says that gravity affects clocks, not time.

Well, here is some guy claiming that he experienced time dilation by taking cesium clocks up Mt. Rainier. http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/tour/

Thoughts?

I didn't read the article and I have no intention of doing so as it is surely irrelevant.

All you have to do is go up to the guy claiming to have experienced time dilation, shake his hand and ask him whether or not you and he are there in the room together at the same time. If he answers you tell him his clock is slow.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
A very immediate one you rely on is the correct functioning of GPS systems.

No one denies that clocks, including the ones in GPS satellites are effected by momentum.

It is time itself that isn't being effected.

Clocks - effected.
Time - not real - only any idea - therefore not effected.

Johnny

No one denies that clocks, including the ones in GPS satellites are effected by momentum.

It is time itself that isn't being effected.

Clocks - effected.
Time - not real - only any idea - therefore not effected.
Clete, would you be open to the rephrasing "duration is relative"? In other words, what one might count as one second would not be what someone else at a different speed would count? I'm just trying to clarify whether you disagree with relativity in principle or semantically.

eveningsky339

Open Theists should inform NASA that gravity-gradient torque is a myth. Then the space shuttle won't have to dock with its tail to the earth in order to minimize the torque, because the torque does not exist.

Oh, and the astronauts can forget non-spherical gravity sources as well.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete, would you be open to the rephrasing "duration is relative"? In other words, what one might count as one second would not be what someone else at a different speed would count? I'm just trying to clarify whether you disagree with relativity in principle or semantically.

Time is a convention of language used to convey information about duration and/or sequence. We use clocks of varying type and complexity to give us words with which to express that information. It is therefore an easy to understand error that people make when they confuse a discussion about clocks for a discussion about time.

And it is that confusion where my objection rests. I do not deny that there is an effect that an object's speed has, but that effect only looks to us like it has to do with time because its effecting the things we use as clocks, which is the only thing we have with which to discuss time. And this confusion becomes clear when you use a different clock that can be used to "time" both of the other clocks that are being Relativistically compared to one another. Sort of an objective, "big picture" clock, if you'll allow the expression. In Bob's article this third clock was the Earth's orbit around the Sun and how many days it took to make that orbit. But any third clock that can be simultaneously applied to both of the other two would do, like how many time the newspaper was delivered, for example.

The bottom line is that both the base and summit of a mountain make the same exact number of revolutions around the Earth's center. Their relative position within the Earth's gravity well is irrelevant to the measure of this third, more objective, clock. If Relativity were actually effecting time itself this would not be the case. The base would eventually become severely out of phase with the summit to the point that the summit will have made an extra half a revolution than the base had all without ever having come away from the mountains base. That would be a neat trick.

A real world example might be the center of galaxies. The closer you get to the Black Hole the more pronounced the Relativistic effects. This would continue to magnify to the point that time would virtually stop for any object near the center. And yet, we have witnessed objects orbiting very closely to the Black Hole. How is an orbit accomplished in any reasonably brief period of time if time has all but stopped? You might say that time has only nearly stopped for the thing orbiting. And I would respond that I'm sitting here watching IT perform its orbit. I'm not the one orbiting the Black Hole every few hours, it is. And it doesn't matter what the object's perception of time is unless you are attempting to synchronize your clocks with the clocks on the object. The fact is that it exists now and I exist now and I am therefore able to observe its movement around the Black Hole. I have no evidence whatsoever that suggests that it has ever left the present moment nor that such is even possible. Indeed, if you pay close attention to that last sentence you'll notice the self-contradictory nature of such an idea.

Okay, I'm rambling now. I hope I successfully answered your question.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
A very immediate one you rely on is the correct functioning of GPS systems.
How is GPS effected by the relativity of time?

Is it common sense that we consist of tiny particles? Is it common sense that those tiny particles are made from even smaller ones? Is it common sense that a varying magnetic field can induce a current in a closed circuit loop?
:bang:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
How is GPS effected by the relativity of time?
The GPS satellites are moving pretty darn fast and they work by sending a time coded signal to the GPS receiver. And both the clocks on the satellites and the ground based clocks that are used to keep the whole system working are sensitive enough that they have to adjust for the relativistic effects of the satellite's speed in order to keep all the clocks in sync. If they didn't make this adjustment the position reading would not be nearly as accurate.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The GPS satellites are moving pretty darn fast and they work by sending a time coded signal to the GPS receiver. And both the clocks on the satellites and the ground based clocks that are used to keep the whole system working are sensitive enough that they have to adjust for the relativistic effects of the satellite's speed in order to keep all the clocks in sync. If they didn't make this adjustment the position reading would not be nearly as accurate.
Like I said, and I'm sure you agree, what does that have to do with teh relativity of time?

fool

Hall of Fame
Do Clete and Lighthouse agree that the guy at the top of the mountain is going faster that the guy on the ground?

fool

Hall of Fame
If I walk around the Earth at the equator does my head travel farther than my feet?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Is the kid at the edge of the merry-go-round going faster than the kid in the middle?
The kid at the edge of the merry-go-round is traveling further than the kid in the middle and must go faster to stay in the same spot as the kid in the middle. Just like on a racetrack.

fool

Hall of Fame
The kid at the edge of the merry-go-round is traveling further than the kid in the middle and must go faster to stay in the same spot as the kid in the middle. Just like on a racetrack.

So the guy at the top of the mountain IS going faster than the guy at the bottom?