Absolute Divine Immutability: Does Anyone Really Believe It?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Is there anyone here who is willing to state, without qualification, that God is immutable?

To clarify, is there anyone here who believes that God has not ever changed nor is He capable of changing in any way whatseover?

Resting in Him,
Clete

glorydaz

Is there anyone here who is willing to state, without qualification, that God is immutable?

To clarify, is there anyone here who believes that God has not ever changed nor is He capable of changing in any way whatseover?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Does that include changing His mind? I think He has done that in response to man's actions and prayer. As far as His character, I would say, no.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

To clarify, is there anyone here who believes that God has not ever changed nor is He capable of changing in any way whatseover
I can't agree because of the "in any way whatsoever" ending. I believe Him to be perfect, so He is unchanging in that sense, but I don't think that perfection is static either. What I mean is that there are all sorts of choices that can be made which aren't better or worse, so God might choose to do one thing here and another there, given the same circumstances. That's changing in a way, though not in nature.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Resting in Him,
Clete

If He thinks, creates, performs miracle, answers prayers, smotes....then He cannot be immutable.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Resting in Him,
Clete

my initial impulse was to say "no - not in His essential character"

but then I considered the path Jesus took from birth to crucifixion to resurrection

Bradley D

God can be depended upon because He never changes. People change quite often for the worse. Then they either want to change God's Word or ignore/deny it altogether.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever" (Isaiah 40:8). "...Surely the people are grass" (v. 7).

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
You're telling the story. If it is "apparent" change, how would you know it is not "actual"?

Is God perfect? If so, in what sense does perfection change?

If God changes, then the change must be for the better. Hence it could then be said that God "evolves".

popsthebuilder

Is God perfect? If so, in what sense does perfection change?

If God changes, then the change must be for the better. Hence it could then be said that God "evolves".
God does not evolve. Times and societies change. The need for the new covenant was because of these changes. Scripture states that we will be much different still from the time of Jesus, upon the second coming.
Thanks.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is God perfect?
Yes.
In what sense does perfection change?
Your question makes no sense, or it's begging the question of some falsehood.

If God changes, then the change must be for the better.
Why?

Hence it could then be said that God "evolves".
Only if you think God can improve on Himself. You seem to be arguing for something extremely bizarre.

God does not evolve.
To an evolutionist, everything is evolution.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If He thinks, creates, performs miracle, answers prayers, smotes....then He cannot be immutable.

Congratulations. You are more knowledgeable about God than a bunch of Christians here.