• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Allegory/Symbolism in Genesis 1

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What makes night and day? A fixed light shining on a rotating earth.

Why does the light have to be fixed?

Why can't God create light that does not have a source from which it emanates?

The YEC context

What is "The YEC context"? I'm talking about the Bible.

does not allow for any other meaning of yom/yamim because YEC *needs* the context to be a 24 hour period.

Again, the context is the Bible, not what "YEC" thinks or wants or needs.

Which is a shame, Christianity doesn't hinge on a YEC, it hinges on the saving power of Christ.

Addressed by someone else.

Right Divider

Body part
What makes night and day? A fixed light shining on a rotating earth.
You mean just like Genesis 1 says? Nice! Glad you've come to your senses.
The YEC context does not allow for any other meaning of yom/yamim because YEC *needs* the context to be a 24 hour period.
There is no such thing as "YEC context". But there is the description of normal days associated with Creation.
Which is a shame, Christianity doesn't hinge on a YEC, it hinges on the saving power of Christ.
Red herring.... again.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Why does the light have to be fixed?

If it isn't fixed, how can you have shadow on the other side of the earth?

Why can't God create light that does not have a source from which it emanates?

What is "The YEC context"? I'm talking about the Bible.

Again, the context is the Bible, not what "YEC" thinks or wants or needs.

I'm not saying He can't. I'm asking why there's an evening and a morning before the sun.

This is completely about a YEC vs. a non-literal, old earth interpretation.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By having the light from one side of the planet.

I'm asking why there's an evening and a morning before the sun.
Because there was a light source and a rotating Earth.

It's a contest between what scripture says and what you say. The Bible is explicit. Genesis is an account of history and it presents the creation as happening in six days.

There is no justification for your "non-literal interpretation." At least, when asked for good reason, you ignore the challenges you face, preferring to ask questions like: "Why did you bring up Pilgrim's Progress?"

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
But the light would have to be fixed

WHY?

to have the other side of the earth in its shadow.

If the answer had teeth it would have bitten you and would have been clinging onto you as if it's life depended on it.

If it had eyes, it would have been staring you in the face this entire time.

And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. - Genesis 1:4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis1:4&version=NKJV

What was the light source in the first day?

GOD.

He created light.

What He did not create is a "source" for that light, but instead light itself.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Because God divided the light from the darkness.

I'm not saying He can't.

And yet you refuse to even consider that a possibility, insisting that because there's nothing from which the light emanates, therefore the passage must not be literal, but instead figurative, and therefore we can discount Genesis 1 as having described exactly what happened, literally, in the beginning.

I'm asking why there's an evening and a morning before the sun.

Because God divided the light from the darkness, and had light on one side of the earth, and darkness on the other.

No source needed, other than God.

Stripe answered this sufficiently.

Because there was a light source and a rotating Earth.

I'd go so far as to say there was no "source" (aside from God) from which the light emanated, but rather that light itself was on one side, and darkness on the other.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Conjecture.
Based on evidence and reason.

Evidence: The cosmic microwave background shows that something light-related permeated the universe in its earliest days.

Reason: The Bible says there was a source of light and "evening and morning."

You might use the perjorative "conjecture" to ridicule our ideas, but we provide reasons and evidence for what we say.

For your ideas, we just have to trust that somehow you've gotten it right and the Bible got it wrong.

Right Divider

Body part
But the light would have to be fixed to have the other side of the earth in its shadow.

What was the light source in the first day?
Gen 1:3-5 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:3) And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (1:4) And God saw the light, that [it was] good: and God divided the light from the darkness. (1:5) And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.