Am I saved from the Christian point of view?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Now there's actually two statements that I made there, I think you're referring to the statement, "you get to go to Heaven, no matter what you do after that".

I was.

Since you wrote that I completely missed the point, you seem to be saying that after I was saved, I could revert and lose the salvation.

Wrong.

But I got the impression that you are saying that if I am saved, I can't lose that salvation when you wrote:

Correct.

So I'm not sure what you're saying because you are possibly contradicting yourself.

I'm not.

Like I said, if you think that, then you've missed the point I made. You should go back and read what was said, both your posts and my posts. in order, so that you can understand what I said.

Given that I'm saved at one point, is it possible for me to be unsaved later in life?

If a person becomes saved, they cannot lose their salvation.

It's NOT a given that you were saved, though. Thus, You should turn to Christ, ask for forgiveness, and he is faithful and just to forgive you..

Now Clete gives additional criteria

It's not "additional." It's simply breaking down what must be believed in order to be saved, into the basics.

for what you have to believe and do to be saved. For Clete, Romans 10:9 is describes only one of the criteria for to get saved:

Romans 10:9 is built on the foundation of the rest of what he gave.

Note that there are really two questions I'm asking here: (1)Was I saved, given the description in the first note, from the Christian point of view.

We don't know, therefore we are goinog to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were not.

(2) If the answer is yes, am I still saved now that I'm a non-believer, from the Christian point of view?

The answer was no, therefore this doesn't need to be ansnwered.

I have a question about the meaning of the word, "just" as in God is just. In your Christian point of view, is it impossible for God to not be just?

As Clete mentioned, discussing this topic with you would be pointless, because you don't have the foundation needed to have a discussion about this topic. We would be casting pearls before swine, as it were.

However you may not believe in eternal punishment,

I can assure you, both of us do.

Hell is a reall place, and as far as we can tell, you're going there, unless and until you turn to Christ and ask for forgiveness.

And then, on Judgement day, you will be standing among the goats, to whom Jesus Himself will say, "Depart from me, for I never knew you," and you will be cast into the lake of fire, and you will be separated from your Creator for the rest of eternity.

You DO NOT want that. Or maybe you do, but I can assure you, it won't be pleasant.

I notice you haven't mentioned hell, only death.

Death is separation. Hell and the lake of fire are just what we call the places where God is not.

The idea that everyone, when they sin, is rebelling against God is a bit hard to swallow.

That's what sin is. It doesn't matter what you think of it. That's what it is, by definition. You're making an appeal to incredulity, a logical fallacy.

A little baby doesn't even have the concept of God! That a sin makes one deserving of death is also hard to swallow.

Supra.

Sinning is rebellion against God, who defines what is good. By rebelling against Him, you have, by definition, done what is NOT good, making you 1) unrighteous and 2) broken. God is righteous, and as such, does not tolerate unrighteousness in His presence. And because God designed man to live our lives in two stages, the first stage here on earth, and the second to be with Him for eternity, He cannot allow you who are in rebellion against Him to live with Him, for you would turn heaven into Hell for those who love Him, simply because your rebellion would affect those who love Him.

God will not force you to live with Him and those who love Him, because that would be cruel, both to you and to them.

A hungry child stealing an apple is hardly thinking about God at all, nor is he deserving of Death.

Obviously, theft is not a death penalty punishment. No one said it was. Theft is a crime.

On the other hand, however, all crime is sin, and because God said for men to obey those in authority (barring wicked commands from said authorities), it is indirectly a rebellion against God.

Which leads us back to what I said above, which is that your rebellion against God must be dealt with, one way or another, either by you asking for God's forgiveness, or by your eternal separation from Him.

eternal torture

This is a common straw man against hell being eternal.

God will not be standing over you for all of eternity flogging you with a whip.

The Bible teaches that those who are cast away from God will suffer torment, which is a similar, but different word.

Torture implies a torturer, someone causing someone else pain.

Torment, however, does not necessarily imply a second party, let alone a third.

The torment of those who are cast into the lake of fire (the fire is symbolic, by the way, it describes the kind of pain you will feel) is not caused by God, but by your rebellion, which has broken you. Your brokenness, combined with the growing comprehension of the fact that you wil never, I repeat, NEVER, be reunited with the One who was able to restore you, will constantly burn in your mind, The knowledge that you are literally broken beyond repair, and will remain that way for the rest of eternity.

It's not a nice thing to imagine, but that's what will happen to you if you do not repent towards God.

garyflet

Hi Yorzhik:

Well, my understanding of what you are saying is as follows: That is, the salvation process is not mechanical, but involves having a good relationship with God, like a friendship. It is different than Clete and JudgeRightly's conception, which is based on having certain beliefs and mouthing the proper words (of course, you must sincerely believe in what you're saying.) Perhaps for them, you are saved on the spot, and you're heaven-bound. On the other hand, one may not want to go to Heaven for reasons you described. I remember a wild, rowdy kind of guy saying, "Well, I may be bound for hell, but all my friends will be there!"

Actually, if I had that belief, that hell might be a desired place, I might have not felt such torment as a child. But I wonder what you do with the verses I quoted at the end of my note, that hell is an "eternal punishment". It would seem that any place in which you are punished would not be desired by anyone. Or the verse describing hell: "and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!" Almost anywhere is better than a furnace of fire, or a place where there's weeping and gnashing of teeth! Would you agree with that?
Also Jesus says that we should not fear the person that could put us to death, be afraid of the One who could destroy both body and soul in hell. Having my body and soul be destroyed does not sound in any way desirable!

Thanks for your reply,
Gary

garyflet

The worries I referred to was your "lack of knowing...", but I should have made it clear that nobody else knows either.
As the judgement of the last day is the determinant of heaven or hell, it behooves us to continue on in righteousness and love.
Thankfully, God gave us verses like 1 Cor 10:13 to help us have faith that we will eventually find out that our name is in the book of life.
1 Cor 10:13..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
So, as God won't allow us to be tempted by anything we can't say "NO" to, and with His promise to always provide an escape, we should be able to hold on faithfully until the end of the war we fight.
The devil will never stop trying to get men to forsake God, in spite of the "words" they recite, and I am convinced he tries even harder to derail the faithful.
If salvation can be assured, why does the devil keep trying?
Because he knows it is not assured.

Instead of feeling tormented, feel freed by the death and resurrection of Christ, and of our God given ability to partake in His death and burial whereby we can be reborn of God's seed. (Rom 6:3-7, Gal 5:24)
His off-spring cannot bring forth the fruit of the devil. (1 John 3:9)
That is assuming you want to live without sinning.
Those that are comfortable with sin have given up on obedience to the Giver of Life, and found doctrines and churches that accommodate sin.
There are lots of those out there.
Hi Hoping,

I guess I should have given you some response, but I don't have a lot to say! I think there is much in the Bible that supports your interpretation that salvation is not assured during one's lifetime. Most prominently that Paul mentions the hope of salvation quite often: "For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."

Of course, as a child I was told something similar to: "Instead of feeling tormented, feel freed..." But feelings are funny things. You don't always feel the way you want to. The fact that so often I didn't feel freed made me worry that something was wrong. But I'm just repeating myself...

Thanks for your reply,
Gary

Hoping

Banned
Hi Hoping,

I guess I should have given you some response, but I don't have a lot to say! I think there is much in the Bible that supports your interpretation that salvation is not assured during one's lifetime. Most prominently that Paul mentions the hope of salvation quite often: "For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."

Of course, as a child I was told something similar to: "Instead of feeling tormented, feel freed..." But feelings are funny things. You don't always feel the way you want to. The fact that so often I didn't feel freed made me worry that something was wrong. But I'm just repeating myself...

Thanks for your reply,
Gary
Get free and your torment will be gone.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi Yorzhik:

Well, my understanding of what you are saying is as follows: That is, the salvation process is not mechanical, but involves having a good relationship with God, like a friendship. It is different than Clete and JudgeRightly's conception, which is based on having certain beliefs and mouthing the proper words (of course, you must sincerely believe in what you're saying.)
Actually I agree entirely with what Clete and Judge Rightly are saying. The perceived difference simply comes from the way that we write and the approach we are taking to your question. But the reason it would be hard to explain the nuanced difference is because you do not have a good enough Foundation to understand it. And that's something else that they have said that I also agree with
Perhaps for them, you are saved on the spot, and you're heaven-bound. On the other hand, one may not want to go to Heaven for reasons you described. I remember a wild, rowdy kind of guy saying, "Well, I may be bound for hell, but all my friends will be there!"
At the risk of adding another topic which would just confuse you, I would only note at this point that there probably won't be relationships between anybody in hell. I can't be sure of that but it's an educated guess.
Actually, if I had that belief, that hell might be a desired place, I might have not felt such torment as a child. But I wonder what you do with the verses I quoted at the end of my note, that hell is an "eternal punishment". It would seem that any place in which you are punished would not be desired by anyone. Or the verse describing hell: "and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!" Almost anywhere is better than a furnace of fire, or a place where there's weeping and gnashing of teeth! Would you agree with that?
Also Jesus says that we should not fear the person that could put us to death, be afraid of the One who could destroy both body and soul in hell. Having my body and soul be destroyed does not sound in any way desirable!

Thanks for your reply,
Gary
I think Judge Rightly described it best in his reply a couple posts up from this one. Hell is a place where your own mind is your torment, not God. I had implied something that was consistent with this before when I said the perspective of those going to heaven would lend them to describe hell as a much worse place than a person bound for hell might.

I was trying to make 2 points. One was that gaining salvation is not a mechanical process. In other words you can't try and cheat your way into heaven. You have to actually love God.

The second was that God is not going to stand over you and whip you for eternity in hell. Nor will he appoint any third party to do so. There may be punishments for the sin, but that will be according to the evil that they performed. The torment will have more to do with your state of mind as a burning desire and/or a burning rage.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Note that "Calvinism" is a term that usually means a specific set of beliefs for most people, but among almost everyone Calvinism features the 'settled view'. And the settled view would also account for every position you mention in your post.
Not really. It is specifically Calvinists who believe that God saves/punishes people for no reason...

“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)​
“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)​
“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

I know of no other major sect that calls itself Christian that would affirm any such belief and I have yet to find even one Calvinist who was willing to reject it. On the contrary, when presented with the above quotations of Calvin, they have all, to a person, embraced the blasphemous teaching.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Actually I agree entirely with what Clete and Judge Rightly are saying. The perceived difference simply comes from the way that we write and the approach we are taking to your question. But the reason it would be hard to explain the nuanced difference is because you do not have a good enough Foundation to understand it. And that's something else that they have said that I also agree with

At the risk of adding another topic which would just confuse you, I would only note at this point that they're probably won't be relationships between anybody in hell. I can't be sure of that but it's an educated guess.

I think Judge Rightly described it best in his reply a couple posts up from this one. Hell is a place where your own mind is your torment, not God. I had implied something that was consistent with this before when I said the perspective of those going to heaven would lend them to describe hell as a much worse place than a person bound for hell might.

I was trying to make 2 points. One was that gaining salvation is not a mechanical process. In other words you can't try and cheat your way into heaven. You have to actually love God.

The second was that God is not going to stand over you and whip you for eternity in hell. Nor will he appoint any third party to do so. There may be punishments for the sin, but that will be according to the evil that they performed. The torment will have more to do with your state of mind as a burning desire and/or a burning rage.
I agree.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not really. It is specifically Calvinists who believe that God saves/punishes people for no reason...

“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)​
“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)​
“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

I know of no other major sect that calls itself Christian that would affirm any such belief and I have yet to find even one Calvinist who was willing to reject it. On the contrary, when presented with the above quotations of Calvin, they have all, to a person, embraced the blasphemous teaching.
I agree entirely. I'm only pointing out that if the title "Calvinist" is used, someone who believes the foundational aspects of of Calvinism, namely those related to the settled view, but does not call themselves a Calvinist because they disagree with Calvinists on some superficial point, get the idea that the point made against them does not need a response because "they aren't a Calvinist". It's just a protocol matter I've found helpful debating people that don't call themselves Calvinists but manifest similar problems because they have a similar foundational belief - that being reading the bible through settled view glasses.

I'm not being critical of you, I'm offering a debate idea if it ever comes up in a future debate. I'm also hoping @garyflet will notice that even if he wasn't taught formal Calvinism, he was taught the exact same foundational principles that lead Calvinists to the same pitfalls. He can't simply brush away your challenge with adissociation to Calvinism.

BTW, I've copied those Calvin quotes 'cause they are pure gold!

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I agree entirely. I'm only pointing out that if the title "Calvinist" is used, someone who believes the foundational aspects of of Calvinism, namely those related to the settled view, but does not call themselves a Calvinist because they disagree with Calvinists on some superficial point, get the idea that the point made against them does not need a response because "they aren't a Calvinist". It's just a protocol matter I've found helpful debating people that don't call themselves Calvinists but manifest similar problems because they have a similar foundational belief - that being reading the bible through settled view glasses.
I see your point.

I'm not being critical of you, I'm offering a debate idea if it ever comes up in a future debate. I'm also hoping @garyflet will notice that even if he wasn't taught formal Calvinism, he was taught the exact same foundational principles that lead Calvinists to the same pitfalls. He can't simply brush away your challenge with a dissociation to Calvinism.
Excellent point.

I am hoping, however, that he's intellectually honest enough to engage the discussion on the merits and not on the superficiality of a mere label.

BTW, I've copied those Calvin quotes 'cause they are pure gold!
I was literally stunned when I found them! I went searching for quotes from Calvin on various topics precisely because of the tactic you are warning me about. I was tired of people accusing me of misrepresenting what Calvinism teaches and/or declaring themselves something other than a Calvinist because of some specific detail that they disagreed with as though the doctrines weren't interrelated to each other and they could simply pick and choose which doctrines they wanted to cherry pick and which they'd discard.

I went to a theology forum put together by and specifically aimed at "Reformed" believers where I challenged them to defend the idea that God cannot change in any way whatsoever and under no circumstances was I able to get anyone to budge. Not even the incarnation, the death nor the resurrection of the Logos could move any of them an inch. Quoting "Logos ginomai sarx" (John 1:14) was no more effective against their doctrine than spit balls against a battle ship. At some point in that discussion, (I think it was that discussion - it might have been a different thread but it was certainly on that website), I kept getting accused of misrepresenting what Calvinism teaches and several of them began to use the tactic of refusing the moniker of "Calvinism", preferring the title "Reformed", so as to distance themselves from Calvin, whom they knew to be a very morally flawed man - to say the least.

I knew intuitively that it was just a tactic though and so I thought I'd collect some direct quotes and see if I could get any of these same people to reject the teachings that came straight out Calvin's "Institutes", which is the very book that is the primary source of the vast majority of what is known today as Calvinism. Given that they desired to distance themselves from Calvin, I figured I'd find several of them who would try to pick those quotes to bits and, since I knew that all these doctrines are logically tied together, my intention was to take their own logic and apply it to the doctrines which I knew they wouldn't ever want to distance themselves from. My strategy totally failed! It didn't work because I never could find anyone who would deny even one single syllable of any of the quotes I found!

Later, I started a thread here to do the same thing and I spent weeks doling out one quote at a time trying to find someone who would say that Calvin had crossed a line and gotten it wrong but I had the same experience here. No one would take one single step away from anything I could quote from Calvin's writings. It's still, to this day, one of the biggest surprises I've experienced over the decades that I've been doing this. Even now, I sort of have a hard time believing it. I just cannot comprehend how anyone can worship a God that is so blatantly unjust. What sort of wacky mental gymnastics does a person do to cope with "...those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them"?! It's simply incomprehensible!

It's no wonder that people like Gary reject Christianity! If that's what the bible actually taught, I'd reject it too! Indeed, there isn't a Calvinist anywhere who could stand against the arguments that Gary has already presented in this thread, which isn't yet thirty posts old.

Clete

John Calvin said this....

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hi Yorzhik:

Well, my understanding of what you are saying is as follows: That is, the salvation process is not mechanical, but involves having a good relationship with God, like a friendship. It is different than Clete and JudgeRightly's conception, which is based on having certain beliefs and mouthing the proper words (of course, you must sincerely believe in what you're saying.) Perhaps for them, you are saved on the spot, and you're heaven-bound. On the other hand, one may not want to go to Heaven for reasons you described. I remember a wild, rowdy kind of guy saying, "Well, I may be bound for hell, but all my friends will be there!"

Thanks for your reply,
Gary
Gary,

I have to say that I like your posts. You seem to think clearly and you ask good questions.

I am, however, a bit baffled by the following....

garyflet said:
...the salvation process is not mechanical, but involves having a good relationship with God, like a friendship. It is different than Clete and JudgeRightly's conception, which is based on having certain beliefs and mouthing the proper words (of course, you must sincerely believe in what you're saying.)

As for the point you're making, I can follow what you're saying here but I can't resist pointing out the contradiction inherent in thinking that JR and I believe BOTH that salvation is "based on having certain beliefs and mouthing the proper words" and that "you must sincerely believe in what you're saying". It cannot be both, right? If you sincerely believe what you're saying then you aren't "mouthing the proper words". The term "mouthing" here implying that the words are in your mouth and not in your heart.

And just to put a fine point on it here, I can assure you that both JR and I affirm Jesus' words when He said, "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." (Luke 6:45)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
On the other hand, one may not want to go to Heaven for reasons you described.

Salvation is not based on wanting to go to heaven. It's based on wanting to be with one's Creator.

I remember a wild, rowdy kind of guy saying, "Well, I may be bound for hell, but all my friends will be there!"

Here's where I differ slightly from Yorzhik, though, not really in a way that makes much difference.

I think, and this is mostly my personal conjecture, that those who are cast into the lake of fire may form relationships that last for a short period of time, but eventually, their hatred of God, and even of themselves and others, will cause them to push everyone else away from them, so that they end up truly alone in the void, with only themselves to blame, and only themselves to hate.

Actually, if I had that belief, that hell might be a desired place,

It's not, by the way.

I might have not felt such torment as a child. But I wonder what you do with the verses I quoted at the end of my note, that hell is an "eternal punishment".

It is.

It would seem that any place in which you are punished would not be desired by anyone.

It's because you hate God. Your hatred of Him is irrational, though. He wants you to repent, and turn to Him for forgiveness. If you do, He will surely forgive you of your sins, and you shall live with Him forever.

Or the verse describing hell: "and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!" Almost anywhere is better than a furnace of fire, or a place where there's weeping and gnashing of teeth! Would you agree with that?

Supra.

Supra.

garyflet

Hi Clete,

Thanks for reading and responding. Sorry you were so confused..
Saved from what?
My point of view as a child is that I wanted to be saved from the consequences of my sins, saved from hell.
Most, if not all, children do not need saved.

Romans 3:20b ...by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Romans 5:13b ...sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Deuteronomy 1:39 ‘Moreover your little ones and your children, who you say will be victims, who today have no knowledge of good and evil, they shall go in there; to them I will give it, and they shall possess it.
Romans 7:9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.
Interesting verses, thanks for that. I was taught as a child that children needed saving too. The earlier the better. Certainly when I was old enough to worry about hell, I did have a knowledge of good and evil, my parents made sure of that! If you are saying that children do not need [to be] saved, I guess you mean that if a young child dies, it's sins are not imputed and it goes to heaven. Then later on, when the child is older and gains the knowledge of good and evil, then they inevitably sin and are unsaved and must believe and do the items on your list to be saved. I am assuming that you believe that that salvation happens the instance they believe and do the list. Let me know if I'm wrong.
In what perverted church did you ever learn that God "just makes them suffer, not in reaction to anything the sentient beings have done, He does it for no reason at all." That's Calvinist claptrap and blasphemy! It's also the opposite of justice and THE reason you can know it's false doctrine.
I never meant to imply that the above was necessarily a Christian doctrine. My church did not teach it as written above. I think I need to clarify a paragraph that I wrote by adding a few brackets[]:

I wrote: "I have a question about the meaning of the word, "just" as in God is just. In your Christian point of view, is it impossible for God to not be just? As you say in the fourth sentence, "Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin". [Given this belief,] a [hypothetical] Creator God could make sentient beings who have the capacity to suffer, and the Creator God just makes them suffer, not in reaction to anything the sentient beings have done, He does it for no reason at all. Is such a [hypothetical] Creator God just in your view?"

The italicized (by me) word in the sentence above: "Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin" would seem to imply that you do believe that such a hypothetical, seemingly cruel, Creator God would be considered just (using a rather meaningless definition of the word, "just"). However, I understand further down your note that you believe that the Creator God has to be just (using the conventional meaning of the word) and the hypothetical Creator God mentioned above would not be just.

I wrote: "God cannot help but be just"
Says who, you?
Here we have a misunderstanding because my sentence is taken out of context. In context, I am not making a general statement about God, but just stating a conclusion that would follow from a hypothetical situation. This is actually part of a question, not a statement. I know that the idea is to examine every sentence that a writer is writing carefully, but please don't lose sight of the context!

Its true that my pastor, when I was maybe 11 or 12, told me that God can do whatever he wants with His creation. He was citing Romans 9:18-21. Just as a potter has the right to do whatever he wants with the clay, so God can do whatever he wants with His creation. The clay cannot object, regardless of the clay's sense of justice or its suffering!

After this, I go on to consider the alternative belief. Remember the first alternative is that you believe that Creator Gods are necessarily just. The second possibility, is no, you don't believe any hypothetical Creator Gods are just by definition, but if they are just, they will have to conform to just acts, using he usual definition of "just". Then, of course, the word "just" is not superfluous in describing a Creator God because there is the possibility that a Creator God might not be just. It becomes clear that, you take the position that our Creator God is just in the usual sense, which means His actions must conform to justice. Of course, our Creator God doesn't want to do anything unjust.

I wrote: "So how is it just to torture people in the lake of fire or furnaces for all eternity for whatever they did in a finite lifetime on earth?"
Dante's Inferno is not in the bible, Gary.
No, but the furnace of hell is in the Bible. As I quoted in not#19 above: "Matthew 13: 40 Just as the weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, 42and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!" Also, the Lake of Fire is referenced several times in Revelation.

Just as importantly, you're far more evil than you give yourself credit for, as are we all.
Doesn't really apply to my point. A serial killer or a tyrant responsible for the death of millions still has a finite number of sins and is not deserving of eternal torture or torment (an infinite punishment). However, I can assure you that as I child I attempted to impress upon myself how horribly evil I was. It did not lead to a healthy sense of self-worth.

I believe in Hell, just not the pop culture version of it. We know very little about what Hell is going to be except that it will be a permanent separation from God.

No question at all that it is an eternal punishment but you're talking about the conception of Hell that is presented in a piece of 14th century fiction.
You don't believe that in Matthew 13:42, when Jesus talks about the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, that he's talking about hell?

I mentioned that there are sections of the Bible that seem to contradict the idea that the list presented by Clete is sufficient for salvation.
There are no such sections of the bible.
These posts are getting kind of long, so I won't respond to this.

No one here cares about your personal opinions, Gary, least of all me. Swallow it or not, that's the truth.
Gee, I thought it was a discussion board! It would seem that expressing one's opinion would be part of it.

Besides, what else would it be other than rebellion against God? Is there someone other than God who gets to decide what sin is and what it isn't? God either exists or He doesn't. If He exists, you are subject to Him. He set out the rules very clearly because that's His prerogative as your Creator. If you break the rules then you are rebelling against the One who put the rules in place.
My point is that you can't rebel against something you're not aware even exists or think he is something other than the Christian God. The word "Muslim" means submitted (to God) and they believe they are submitting to the Creator God, the God of Abraham.

Speaking of Abraham, God tells him to sacrifice his son. Abraham does not say to God, now God, you can't ask me to do that because you are just. No, Abraham is prepared to sacrifice his son because God said to do it, it didn't matter to Abraham whether it was just or not. In which case, we back to the hypothetical God who is just by definition, or maybe it's that the word "just" doesn't apply to him. That God can do whatever he wants regardless of our sense of justice. The God of Abraham is "the Creator God and therefore sinless"

At any rate, I don't ever remember being handed a set of rules by God (in the Bible or otherwise) that I'm supposed to follow. You say that I have to follow the rules, but where are they delineated? Of course, there are a set of rules carefully delineated in great detail in the Old Testament, but most Christians do not believe themselves to be subject to those rules (a very few Christians believe they are.) So what exactly are the rules of behavior for Christians? Some Christians believe the 10 commandments are binding on Christians. Some Christians believe there are no rules, you simply do what Jesus leads you to do. If He wants you to sacrifice your son, you do it. What do you believe?

In fact, it is no surprise that you'd gravitate toward this error because it is basically you minimizing your own sin. If sin isn't rebellion against God, it isn't nearly as big a deal as it would be otherwise.
Well, as I said, I did try to impress on myself how horribly evil I was (as a child). It was hard to imagine that I was rebelling against God since God wasn't telling me to do anything. Of course, I got a lot of rules to follow from adults in authority, and I took those to be what God wanted me to do. And stuff like loving your neighbor as yourself, loving God with all your mind and heart.

I wrote: A baby doesn't even have a concept of God.
This is false.

Luke 1:41-44
But this was no ordinary baby! It was John the Baptist. I don't know if you believe much in science, but according to scientific research, the theory of mind doesn't develop until the child is several years old. Without a theory of mind, the baby or toddler doesn't even know that other people are thinking and feeling, much less know about such an abstract notion as God: Omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent person.

I wrote: "A hungry child stealing an apple is hardly thinking about God at all, nor is he deserving of Death."
Certainly not!

The child should be forced to pay restitution, nothing more. Why on Earth would you think God would put anyone to death for stealing?

You're so confused that I am honestly having a difficult time following you from one sentence to the next!

The punishment for stealing is spelled out very clearly in the book of Exodus. Nowhere is it mentioned that anyone gets tortured at all, much less for an eternity.
It's not hard to follow the logic: Stealing is a sin. People go to hell because they have sinned. The hungry child stealing an apple is rebelling against God! Your list clearly indicates he deserves death! (The fact you didn't get this, shows that maybe you only believe abstractly that one who commits a sin or sins is deserving of death).

What sort of stupid church did you attend where could have gotten so completely confused?

You believe every fairy tale ever told about Hell. You probably even think that Satan runs the place! You conflate criminal justice with what is going to happen on judgment day and you seem to think that this sort of nonsense is actually taught in the bible!
I never said Satan runs the place, that's not in the Bible. I never said anything about criminal justice to be able to conflate it with something else.
You are imagining that I'm saying things I haven't said.

Where does it say that you're to love everyone else?
Good question! I did accept this idea as something all Christians should do, without much thought about how it is stated in the Bible. What is in the Bible is that we are to love our neighbors. But Jesus extends the meaning of the word "neighbor" to mean anyone we come across, as the God Samaritan cares for a perfect stranger he comes across. So it seems we are to love everyone we come across. (Love involving action not just positive feeling.) Also Christians are to go out into all the world to preach the Gospel. So the admonition for Christians to love extends beyond just strangers we might come across, Christians are to actively seek out people to love. Finally, God loves the entire world, and Jesus tells Christians to be perfect, even as the Father in heaven is perfect. Considering all that, I would say that the Bible comes extremely close to saying that Christians are to love everyone else, a solid argument could be made.

Did your pastor teach that you should love Hitler or Jeffery Dahmer?
No, but God loved them. And Jesus said, "Be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." The implication seems to be there.

If so, he was an idiot who probably told you that you had to forgive everyone of any and all wrong that they've done to you whether they've repented of it or not. And there's no doubt at all that you were taught and fully believed that we aren't to judge people either, right?
Too many questions arise here for one post.

I wrote that perhaps I didn't feel anything after accepting Christ as my Savior, except often feeling worried, because I didn't appreciate what a worthless scumbag I was.
It didn't work because it wasn't true. You were a child! There's not a chance your were a "pathetic scumbag" of any sort.
Well, I'm coming to understand your position that children who do not know good from evil do not need to be saved as mentioned above. However, I was certainly old enough to know good from evil (maybe better than some adults!) when I was struggling to become a Christian. I was certainly old enough to sin, for example, occasionally annoying my parents. Therefore, according to you and the Bible, I was old enough to be deserving of death. Now anyone that has done such evil things that they deserve to die is definitely a "worthless scumbag". Unless, of course, when you declare that a person that has sinned "deserves to die", you are only thinking that in an abstract, theological way. For example, you would never act on the idea. This is my objection to that part of the list, that we are to believe that everyone deserves to die: It is only an abstract idea, not something that has any bearing at all on our relations with people or how we feel about people.

Well, its the fact that you were a child that is precisely the issue. If you throw one of those do-nut shaped life preservers to a person sitting on your living room couch and he, "with urgency" thanked you so much for saving his life, is he grateful or was he tricked by a lie you told him?
I'm afraid I don't follow this analogy well enough to make much sense of it.

Well, all I can tell you is that what you've rejected is not biblical Christianity. What it sounds to me like is that you've rejected a secularized version of Calvinism, which, even without the secularization, is nearly pure heresy and blasphemy. Calvinists do not even believe that justice applies to God!
I'm not sure that you have a good sense of what I was taught, given the misinterpretations pointed out above. You may have a much more palatable sense of hell than I had, but my sense of it does seem biblical, note the references above. (I note that Calvinists seem to be anathema on this board.)

I'd bet that you've likely never even heard what biblical Christianity is
My church, Conservative Baptist, certainly thought they were teaching biblical Christianity.

Read the opening post of the following thread...

Is God Moral
Will, do, as soon as I answer all the other threads here! (I didn't have much time this weekend.) Thanks for the effort, Clete!
Gary

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hi Clete,

Thanks for reading and responding. Sorry you were so confused..

My point of view as a child is that I wanted to be saved from the consequences of my sins, saved from hell.

Interesting verses, thanks for that. I was taught as a child that children needed saving too. The earlier the better. Certainly when I was old enough to worry about hell, I did have a knowledge of good and evil, my parents made sure of that! If you are saying that children do not need [to be] saved, I guess you mean that if a young child dies, it's sins are not imputed and it goes to heaven. Then later on, when the child is older and gains the knowledge of good and evil, then they inevitably sin and are unsaved and must believe and do the items on your list to be saved. I am assuming that you believe that that salvation happens the instance they believe and do the list. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Okay, first of all, let me just tell you that I am not going to try to respond to every point in your post. Not that I don't want to but simply that it makes for an incredibly long post that no one would want to read. If I skip over something that you want me to address specifically, just point it out and I'll do so.

So....

Yes, I do believe that salvation happens the moment your put your faith in Christ. It isn't a process, its an event at which time you are sealed by the Holy Spirit as an earnest payment against your safe delivery to the Day of Redemption. This term "earnest" is the biblical term, not mine. Do you understand how earnest payments work?

Also, "the knowledge of good and evil" is a euphemism that refers to the law. It isn't simply having some understanding of right and wrong. My dog has that as does any human being old enough to understand language. The law and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil are very closely tied together. So much so that the it isn't wrong to consider the law to be the fruit of that tree.

The average Christian isn't taught this but its easy enough to look up and confirm the following if you're so inclined....

Circumcision is a physical cutting off of the flesh. Following the law is a cutting off the the "flesh" (i.e. in the spiritual sense of the term "flesh") thus circumcision has always been a symbol of the law. Israel, during their time in the desert did not circumcise their children and it was these children of Israel that were permitted entrance into the Promise Land. They had not been circumcised and thus had not been placed under the law and therefore did not have "the knowledge of good and evil".

I never meant to imply that the above was necessarily a Christian doctrine. My church did not teach it as written above. I think I need to clarify a paragraph that I wrote by adding a few brackets[]:

I wrote: "I have a question about the meaning of the word, "just" as in God is just. In your Christian point of view, is it impossible for God to not be just? As you say in the fourth sentence, "Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin". [Given this belief,] a [hypothetical] Creator God could make sentient beings who have the capacity to suffer, and the Creator God just makes them suffer, not in reaction to anything the sentient beings have done, He does it for no reason at all. Is such a [hypothetical] Creator God just in your view?"

The italicized (by me) word in the sentence above: "Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin" would seem to imply that you do believe that such a hypothetical, seemingly cruel, Creator God would be considered just (using a rather meaningless definition of the word, "just"). However, I understand further down your note that you believe that the Creator God has to be just (using the conventional meaning of the word) and the hypothetical Creator God mentioned above would not be just.
Indeed, I believe proposing such a hypothetical gets within a hair's breadth of being blasphemy.
You might as well have asked me, "If a god did unjust things, would he be just?" The question answers itself.

I wrote: "God cannot help but be just"

Here we have a misunderstanding because my sentence is taken out of context. In context, I am not making a general statement about God, but just stating a conclusion that would follow from a hypothetical situation. This is actually part of a question, not a statement. I know that the idea is to examine every sentence that a writer is writing carefully, but please don't lose sight of the context!
(y)

Its true that my pastor, when I was maybe 11 or 12, told me that God can do whatever he wants with His creation. He was citing Romans 9:18-21. Just as a potter has the right to do whatever he wants with the clay, so God can do whatever he wants with His creation. The clay cannot object, regardless of the clay's sense of justice or its suffering!
It would seem that your pastor also need to not lose sight of the context! The clay isn't God's creation, it is specifically the nation of Israel.

This is fully established in post #4 here...

One on One: Romans 9

After this, I go on to consider the alternative belief. Remember the first alternative is that you believe that Creator Gods are necessarily just. The second possibility, is no, you don't believe any hypothetical Creator Gods are just by definition, but if they are just, they will have to conform to just acts, using he usual definition of "just". Then, of course, the word "just" is not superfluous in describing a Creator God because there is the possibility that a Creator God might not be just. It becomes clear that, you take the position that our Creator God is just in the usual sense, which means His actions must conform to justice. Of course, our Creator God doesn't want to do anything unjust.
He not only doesn't want to do anything unjust but actively wills to be just. Given that, along with the fact that it is fundamentally impossible for God to be forced to act against His will, and the conclusion is obvious.

I wrote: "So how is it just to torture people in the lake of fire or furnaces for all eternity for whatever they did in a finite lifetime on earth?"

No, but the furnace of hell is in the Bible. As I quoted in not#19 above: "Matthew 13: 40 Just as the weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, 42and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!" Also, the Lake of Fire is referenced several times in Revelation.
The use of an analogy of fire should be understood as just that, an analogy.

Here's the bottom line. We do not really know with any detail or precision what Hell is going to be like. We know that it will be unpleasant and permanent. Going beyond that is speculation to one degree or another. There's some evidence that it will be hot (e.g. "the Lake of Fire", etc), there's also some evidence that its in the core of the Earth and there's even some evidence that some have used to argue that those who are thrown into the Lake of Fire are destroyed out of existence, yada, yada, yada.

What we know for a fact is that God is just. There is no amount of speculation about disputable things that should be accepted as valid if it violates such basic principles such as the idea that God is just! Thus, whatever Hell turns out to actually be, then I don't really care what your opinion of it is, it's justice! You can disagree but no one will be around to hear your objections. My advice is to avoid the issue and submit yourself to your Creator while you can.

Doesn't really apply to my point. A serial killer or a tyrant responsible for the death of millions still has a finite number of sins and is not deserving of eternal torture or torment (an infinite punishment).
Says who, you?

Besides, as I have already said, Hell isn't a punishment related to criminal justice!

However, I can assure you that as I child I attempted to impress upon myself how horribly evil I was. It did not lead to a healthy sense of self-worth.
It isn't relevant. I don't expect you to understand why. You're still thinking that Hell is the outcome of some sort of criminal justice system.

You don't believe that in Matthew 13:42, when Jesus talks about the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, that he's talking about hell?
Which Hell?

Look Gary, I'm trying really hard to keep from going to far into the weeds on this issue. You do not have a proper foundation for a discussion about the nature of Hell to be of any profit to either of us. Suffice it to say that whatever it is that you think is unjust about Hell amounts to just one more false doctrine that you were taught as a child.

I mentioned that there are sections of the Bible that seem to contradict the idea that the list presented by Clete is sufficient for salvation.
More than half the bible contradicts it! The entire Old Testament, the Gospels and every book of the New Testament from Hebrews through Revelation all contradict my list.

Your mouth should be hanging open about now! :)

That going to sound like I've contradicted my previous statement but its a matter of context. There's no question that you would read any of the above mentioned sections of the bible and find no end to passages that contradict my list precisely because you fail to understand the context. That's definitely a topic of another thread.

These posts are getting kind of long, so I won't respond to this.
(y)

Gee, I thought it was a discussion board! It would seem that expressing one's opinion would be part of it.
Don't misunderstand. I have no problem with you having or expressing an opinion about matters of opinion. The point is, however, that the definition of justice, whether or not God is just, and whether or not sin is a rebellion against God are not a matters of opinion. Justice is what it is, God is either just or He isn't, Sin is a rebellion against God by definition and your personal opinions are completely irrelevant in such matters.

My point is that you can't rebel against something you're not aware even exists or think he is something other than the Christian God.
There is no such thing as a human being who is beyond the age of accountability, who does not know that God exists.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,​

Everyone knows that God exists.

The word "Muslim" means submitted (to God) and they believe they are submitting to the Creator God, the God of Abraham.
So what?

Speaking of Abraham, God tells him to sacrifice his son. Abraham does not say to God, now God, you can't ask me to do that because you are just. No, Abraham is prepared to sacrifice his son because God said to do it, it didn't matter to Abraham whether it was just or not.
You should read your bible more carefully.

First of all, you should understand that you have directly accused God of injustice. You will give an account for it. You really should be more careful what you say.

Secondly, it is not unjust for God to end your physical life. All life proceeds from God and He didn't ask your permission when He created you and He does not owe you one single breath more than you've already taken.

Third, Abraham believed that God would raise Isaac from the dead.

Fourth, God never had any intention of having Abraham actually go through with the killing in the first place. It was a test. Not only was it a test but it was a real test that God DID NOT know the outcome of in advance, in contradiction to probably half a dozen or more things your pastor undoubtedly taught you as a child.
Genesis 22:12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”​

In which case, we're back to the hypothetical God who is just by definition, or maybe it's that the word "just" doesn't apply to him. That God can do whatever he wants regardless of our sense of justice. The God of Abraham is "the Creator God and therefore sinless"
No! God is just because He acts justly. God is righteous because He does rightly.

You're right on the edge of one of the most important theological/philosophical questions ever asked in the history of philosophy, by the way. It's what I've been expecting you to spring on me this whole time but you haven't done it. It's called Euthyphro's Dilemma. Ever heard of it? Christianity is the only religion in the world that has a rational answer for it. If you're interested check out the following debate where the issue is specifically addressed....

Does God Exist? - Battle Royale VII - Bob Enyart vs. Zakath

The whole debate is worth your time but posts 36 and 39 are the posts that specifically deal with Euthyphro's dilemma.

At any rate, I don't ever remember being handed a set of rules by God (in the Bible or otherwise) that I'm supposed to follow.
What?

Ever heard of the Ten Commandments?

Not that you needed them!

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,​

You might try to plead ignorance but it will fail.

You say that I have to follow the rules, but where are they delineated? Of course, there are a set of rules carefully delineated in great detail in the Old Testament, but most Christians do not believe themselves to be subject to those rules (a very few Christians believe they are.) So what exactly are the rules of behavior for Christians? Some Christians believe the 10 commandments are binding on Christians. Some Christians believe there are no rules, you simply do what Jesus leads you to do. If He wants you to sacrifice your son, you do it. What do you believe?
Okay, wow!

I'm trying super hard not to be insulting to you and so please don't take offense where none is intended but you are so totally confused that it's genuinely hard to know where to even begin to respond to this.

Do you think it was moral to murder before the law said "Thou shalt not murder."?
Do you suppose that it was okay to take things that didn't belong to you before Moses came down the mountain with tablets that read "Thou shalt not steal."?
Was there ever a time when it was permissible to rape any random woman you came across simply because Deuteronomy 22:23–29 hadn't been written yet?

Just because you aren't under the law doesn't mean its okay to harm your neighbor or yourself or to rebel against the God who is Life itself.

Well, as I said, I did try to impress on myself how horribly evil I was (as a child). It was hard to imagine that I was rebelling against God since God wasn't telling me to do anything.
Impressing a lie upon yourself doesn't work, Gary. You were not evil as a child. That's why it didn't sink in. You knew intuitively that it false.

Of course, I got a lot of rules to follow from adults in authority, and I took those to be what God wanted me to do. And stuff like loving your neighbor as yourself, loving God with all your mind and heart.
Yeah, the adults in your life fed you your portion of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Had it been done properly and consistently, which it clearly wasn't, when you grew up, you'd have understood more clearly and your childhood beliefs would have matured into a saving faith.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.​

1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.​

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.​

I wrote: A baby doesn't even have a concept of God.

But this was no ordinary baby! It was John the Baptist.
John the Baptist wasn't divine, Gary. John was just a man like you and I.

I don't know if you believe much in science, but according to scientific research, the theory of mind doesn't develop until the child is several years old.
LOL!

Science doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the mind, Gary! Your mind, so says science, is just an illusion created by a vast array of bio-electric and bio-mechanical processes that occur inside your brain.

To be clear, it isn't real science that denies the existence of the mind, its atheistic, materialism masquerading as science that does so. Real, actual science, doesn't have to be "believed" in because it is nothing at all other than the application of sound reason to the understanding of both nature and of reality. It, like any other sort of rational endeavor is only as good as the premises from which it proceeds.

Without a theory of mind, the baby or toddler doesn't even know that other people are thinking and feeling, much less know about such an abstract notion as God: Omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent person.
This is speculation at best.

And the God of the bible is neither Omnipresent, Omniscient nor Omnipotent in the Classical sense of those terms. Biblically, God is able to be anywhere and everywhere He wants to be but cannot be in a place that does not exist and is not required to be anywhere He doesn't wish to be. God knows what He wants to know of that information which is knowable. Any information that is knowable that He doesn't have He is able to discover at will. And finally, God is the fountainhead of all power but has chosen at His own discretion to delegate a portion of that power to others and is both able and within His rights to recall that power at will and thus is utterly invincible. However, just as God cannot go to a place that does not exist nor know the unknowable, God cannot do the any other undoable thing. God cannot do things that are rationally absurd like making a perfect sphere with sharp corners or whatever other absurdity might come to mind. The "Omni" doctrines do not come from scripture but from Plato and Aristotle (i.e. the Classics). The doctrine were imported into Christian dogma by folks like Augustine.

I wrote: "A hungry child stealing an apple is hardly thinking about God at all, nor is he deserving of Death."

It's not hard to follow the logic: Stealing is a sin. People go to hell because they have sinned. The hungry child stealing an apple is rebelling against God! Your list clearly indicates he deserves death! (The fact you didn't get this, shows that maybe you only believe abstractly that one who commits a sin or sins is deserving of death).
It isn't me who doesn't get it, it's you. Hell is NOT the end game of some sort of criminal justice system!
A hungry child taking an apple may not even count as a sin, whether its a crime or not, and so lets use something real like an adult breaking into their neighbor's house, taking their television set and trading it for the drugs they use to get high on. Now that's a whole series of sins that everyone can agree on and I'm here to tell you that it isn't the burglary, the theft or the getting high that will send them to Hell. It's their rebellion against God that leads to both their acts of evil and their eternal residence of the "fires" of Hell.

Sin is volitional, as are ALL moral acts.
I never said Satan runs the place, that's not in the Bible. I never said anything about criminal justice to be able to conflate it with something else.
You are imagining that I'm saying things I haven't said.
I'm not imagining anything. Your post is still there for the whole world to read and you are, in fact, conflating criminal justice with what happens on judgment day and it doesn't work for the exact reasons you are implying! God does not punish someone for eternity because they committed a crime but because they have committed a sin. You very clearly do not understand the difference and thus conflate the two, however unintentional that may be.

Good question! I did accept this idea as something all Christians should do, without much thought about how it is stated in the Bible. What is in the Bible is that we are to love our neighbors. But Jesus extends the meaning of the word "neighbor" to mean anyone we come across, as the God Samaritan cares for a perfect stranger he comes across. So it seems we are to love everyone we come across. (Love involving action not just positive feeling.) Also Christians are to go out into all the world to preach the Gospel. So the admonition for Christians to love extends beyond just strangers we might come across, Christians are to actively seek out people to love. Finally, God loves the entire world, and Jesus tells Christians to be perfect, even as the Father in heaven is perfect. Considering all that, I would say that the Bible comes extremely close to saying that Christians are to love everyone else, a solid argument could be made.
Once again, your ignorance (i.e. not stupidity - not trying to insult you here) is making it difficult to respond here. I was hoping to make this post way more brief than it's turning out to be but it can't be helped without just ignoring major errors you're making.

Love and hate are not the mutually exclusive ideas that your comments would seem to imply. We are not, for example, compelled by Christ or anyone else, to evangelize the serial killers of the world. Nor are we taught to tolerate perverts, rapists or even those non criminals who hate God for that matter. The normal average Christian is very very much nicer than God and they sin by doing so. They do harm both to themselves and their neighbors. They cheapen love to the point of making it meaningless and they undermine justice to the point that it is turned into a matter of opinion.

Want to know how to love a murderer? Having him swiftly and painfully executed upon conviction of his crime. Same goes for all other capital crimes, including rape, child molestation, sodomy, adultery as well as advocating, planning or the attempting of such crimes.
Want to know how to love a thief? Force him return what he stole and pay restitution to his victim, whether by monetary means or by labor.

In short, it isn't about being nice and it isn't about being likable or accepting. The most loving thing a Christian can do for his neighbor is to hate evil and to advocate justice (i.e. criminal justice).

Psalm 139:19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!​
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.​
20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain.​
21 Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You?​
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?​
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;​
I count them my enemies.​

No, but God loved them. And Jesus said, "Be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." The implication seems to be there.
God loves the whole world, of course, but as I said, the concepts of love and hate are not the mutually exclusive ideas you seem to think they are. If a person is evil, the most loving thing you could do might well be to dispise them and make sure they know that you despise them. It's a matter of how distant your view is. Short term pain for long term gain, if you will.

Too many questions arise here for one post.
I agree. I really was going to try to pair this down. Maybe on the next iteration we can focus the discussion onto one or two specific things.

I wrote that perhaps I didn't feel anything after accepting Christ as my Savior, except often feeling worried, because I didn't appreciate what a worthless scumbag I was.
Sheesh, you really had some deplorable teaching. Please just try to forget everything you were taught. What in the world could there be to be worried about if you accept that the God who created you has already taken the punishment that you deserve!

Well, I'm coming to understand your position that children who do not know good from evil do not need to be saved as mentioned above. However, I was certainly old enough to know good from evil (maybe better than some adults!) when I was struggling to become a Christian.
This is a fundamental misunderstand on your part. It isn't about what a child knows, its about what a child is subject too. No child under the age of accountability has any need of salvation because there is no sin imputed against their account because where there is no law, sin is not imputed. Again, "the knowledge of good and evil" is a euphemism for "the law".

I was certainly old enough to sin, for example, occasionally annoying my parents. Therefore, according to you and the Bible, I was old enough to be deserving of death.
No.

Now anyone that has done such evil things that they deserve to die is definitely a "worthless scumbag".
No.

Unless, of course, when you declare that a person that has sinned "deserves to die", you are only thinking that in an abstract, theological way. For example, you would never act on the idea. This is my objection to that part of the list, that we are to believe that everyone deserves to die: It is only an abstract idea, not something that has any bearing at all on our relations with people or how we feel about people.
Once again, you just simply don't know what you're talking about here.

Have you ever considered the question, "What is death?" What does it mean to die?

The short answer is that death is a separation. If your spirit is separated from your physical body, this is physical death. Likewise, spiritual death is also a separation. If you are separated (i.e. relationally) from God, who is Life itself, then that is spiritual death.

It is this spiritual death that we need saved from. When Jesus died and rose from the dead, He fixed the broken relationship between God and man that was broken by Adam. Thus, Paul can rightly say that "I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died." (Romans 7:9) and thus children who do not have the knowledge of good and evil (the law) are alive to God and have no need of salvation and the death that one might suffer on judgment day isn't about the crimes you've committed but about your spiritual enmity against God, which you HAVE chosen for yourself.

I'm afraid I don't follow this analogy well enough to make much sense of it.
Well, read it again...

If you throw one of those do-nut shaped life preservers to a person sitting on your living room couch and he, "with urgency" thanked you so much for saving his life, is he grateful or was he tricked by a lie you told him?

Don't think of it as an analogy, just answer the question? What should a rational person think if while sitting in your living room, you throw a life preserver in his lap and plead with him to grasp hold lest he drown?

Shouldn't he look at you like you're nuts?

It's no different than your pastor trying to tell you needed to be saved as a child. It's just nuts.

I'm not sure that you have a good sense of what I was taught, given the misinterpretations pointed out above. You may have a much more palatable sense of hell than I had, but my sense of it does seem biblical, note the references above. (I note that Calvinists seem to be anathema on this board.)
Calvinists (i.e. the ones that actually know what Calvinism teaches and embrace it intentionally) are not Christians in the biblical sense of the word. You cannot worship an unjust god, more akin to Zeus than anything in the bible, and expect to find yourself in the real God's heaven.

My church, Conservative Baptist, certainly thought they were teaching biblical Christianity.
I have no doubt that this is true. "Conservative Baptists" are very definitely Calvinists though which confirms most of what I've infered about what you were taught. Most of the people in your church, however, probably have no idea where they doctrine comes from. They believe it because they were taught to believe it and it usually doesn't go much farther than that, even for most pastors. Pastors are just regular people who grew up in their church and believed what their pastor told them to believe and then grew up and went to a school where are whole bunch of other regular people further taught him the stuff that they too were taught by similar people in another school. And so it goes.

Understandable to be sure but it won't save them from having to give an account to the God of Righteousness why they taught their congregation that God was unjust, just as you were taught.

Will, do, as soon as I answer all the other threads here! (I didn't have much time this weekend.) Thanks for the effort, Clete!
Gary
You have no idea how hungry I've been for someone who is both willing an able to have a substantive exchange on an important topic. Such folks are very few and far between. I had almost forgotten how much patience I have with people who try to be substantive. It's easy for me to sit and spend three or more hours writing a post in response to such people. Thank you!

Clete

P.S. I'm not going to go through the hassle of proof reading this post. It's too long for me to even expect you to read it all and certainly do not feel obliged to respond to all of it.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here's where I differ slightly from Yorzhik, though, not really in a way that makes much difference.

I think, and this is mostly my personal conjecture, that those who are cast into the lake of fire may form relationships that last for a short period of time, but eventually, their hatred of God, and even of themselves and others, will cause them to push everyone else away from them, so that they end up truly alone in the void, with only themselves to blame, and only themselves to hate.
This may very well be the case. CS Lewis had such a solid picture of this idea in The Great Divorce. @garyflet If you want a picture of what I think hell might be like, or at least similar to as far as the attitude of the denizens of hell, then read this.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
@Clete here's the link to the debate you mentioned:

Seems like you forgot to embed it when you mentioned it...

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
@Clete here's the link to the debate you mentioned:

Seems like you forgot to embed it when you mentioned it...
Thanks JR! I fixed it in my post as well.

garyflet

Hi Guys! (Sorry if one or more of you are gals),

I appreciate very much how much effort you've put into responding to my notes, especially Clete! However, some of my notes have been very long, so I thought I would limit myself to just one question this time. The email is still kind of long, but it's made up mostly by Bible verses:D.

The question is about an alternative, yet biblical, view of hell, the idea that hell is not about eternal suffering, but death. It's been in the back of my mind when looking at the verses in the Bible describing hell. I already brought up Matthew 13: 40: "Just as the weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, 42and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!"

There are many verses describing how the "weeds" or "chaff" will be burned, while the good parts saved. See Matthew 13:30 "Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn." Also Matthew 3:12, Luke 3:17, John 15:6. Just as weeds are destroyed, so hell is not a place where souls suffer forever, but are simply destroyed. Souls go to heaven for eternal life, they go to hell to die.

Matthew 10:28: "Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Destruction, not eternal suffering.

Matthew 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it." The easy road leads not to eternal suffering but to destruction.

In Matthew 25:46: "And these [the goats] will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” The opposite of life is death, perhaps the "eternal punishment" is simply death. The soul dies and is dead for eternity.

And I would be remiss not to mention the famous verses from Romans 10: "21So what advantage did you then get from the things of which you now are ashamed? The end of those things is death. 22But now that you have been freed from sin and enslaved to God, the advantage you get is sanctification. The end is eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Once again, death, not eternal suffering is the opposite of eternal life.

There are a few places in Revelation in which it is clear that the suffering will go on forever, but only for specific individuals. For example, Revelation 14: "10they will also drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured unmixed into the cup of his anger, and they will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever." There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image and for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” This certainly sounds like a unique condition: It only applies to those who worshipped the beast and it's image and received the mark. And these are punished in the presence of Jesus and the angels.

Revelation 20:10 "And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." Again, specific individuals who are tormented forever. Other sinners are thrown into the lake of fire, but I don't see any mention of eternal suffering for them.

The Hebrew Bible doesn't have a joyful afterlife for one set of people and suffering afterlife for another. The only mention of afterlife is Sheol, a place of almost complete emptiness and inaction, where everybody goes, the righteous and unrighteous. So it has been a puzzle to me that the Jews, listening to Jesus, weren't wondering what He was talking about, one afterlife for the righteous and another for the sinners. A little study informed me that, at the time of Jesus, many Jews believed in an imminent time of judgement when God would destroy His enemies and resurrect the dead. The unrighteous would be resurrected along with the righteous, but the former only to face their judgment and be put back to death. God's Kingdom would be established on earth, and all who enter would enjoy a utopian existence. The important point here is that Jesus was not teaching something new; the Jews had some familiarity with what he was talking about; and that the ultimate fate of the unrighteous was not eternal suffering, but simply death.

But, of course, I am not a Bible expert and even (or especially?) Bible experts disagree. So my question is, are there any other verses in the Greek scriptures that clearly state that eternal suffering is the fate of all who end up in hell?

Thanks for any response you care to give,
Gary

garyflet

Thanks for your reply, Right Divider. This gives me a chance to make myself clearer. My suggestion is that the Bible is saying that for the unrepentant and unsaved, there are two deaths. The first death happens to both the saved and unsaved, the body gets old and dies. But the unsaved, just as you say, are resurrected from death, then comes judgement, and then the unsaved are then thrown into hell, to be burned like the chaff in the verses above. Their path leads to destruction, annihilation, death. The Bible often contrasts the eternal life of the saved with the death of the unsaved. The saved will suffer the first death, so these verses that talk about eternal life, are talking about after the judgement, when the saved are go into eternal life, and the unsaved get death.

Revelation 20, in fact, confirms what I am saying, that there are two deaths for the unsaved. Rev 20:14"Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire; 15and anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire." The second death occurs when everyone whose name is not written in the book dies in the lake of fire.

Thanks for your response,
Gary