Answering old threads thread

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
No. God did. You have no idea of the enormity and power of sin, of how it destroys the human beings that practice it.
Really. I "have no idea" how Putin the evil idiotic moron's sin is destroying human beings?

I.e., I don't see homosexuals doing what Putin's doing, unless Putin's homosexual, but even then, it's not his homosexuality that's murdering innocent Ukrainians right now, it's his guns.
God does and that's why He set up the punishments He did. That was God protecting His own people from the consequences of sin.

I know that means nothing to you, but it's the truth
What a lug. Too bad too. You're bright.

Gary K

Banned
Really. I "have no idea" how Putin the evil idiotic moron's sin is destroying human beings?

I.e., I don't see homosexuals doing what Putin's doing, unless Putin's homosexual, but even then, it's not his homosexuality that's murdering innocent Ukrainians right now, it's his guns.

What a lug. Too bad too. You're bright.
All this mess we live in today grew out of a single lie and not believing God one time.

Like I said, you don't have a clue as to the power and enormity of sin. If you did you would recognize the destruction behaviors that God calls abominations have wreaked upon humanity. Your reasoning powers in spiritual matters is surface level and narrow at best. But you think it's deep and wide. That's what happens when you deny the Bible. That destroys the wisdom of God in your eyes.

Hoping

Banned
Now combine all that with this: 1st Corinthians 7:32 " He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife."

Simple as that. What's the problem? Both are the Apostle Paul.
Paul wasn't a bishop.
He was an apostle, prophet, and evangelist.
Qualifications for those don't include showing you can run a household, with kids, before being allowed to run a church full of diverse folks.
No, but being promiscuous is. That is the opposite of a one-woman-man.
Running a family before running a church is a scriptural requirement for being a bishop.

Idolater

Paul wasn't a bishop.
He was an apostle, prophet, and evangelist.
Qualifications for those don't include showing you can run a household, with kids, before being allowed to run a church full of diverse folks.

Running a family before running a church is a scriptural requirement for being a bishop.
Fine. Then running a church before becoming a bishop ought to be an even tougher test. That along with not being promiscuous.

Idolater

All this mess we live in today grew out of a single lie and not believing God one time.

Like I said, you don't have a clue as to the power and enormity of sin. If you did you would recognize the destruction behaviors that God calls abominations have wreaked upon humanity. Your reasoning powers in spiritual matters is surface level and narrow at best. But you think it's deep and wide. That's what happens when you deny the Bible.
Censored.
That destroys the wisdom of God in your eyes.

Idolater

The Pope Is A Communist.

No, but he is a liberal, as is Catholicism itself.

This I am only saying because it would appear too 'MAGA' and 'American exceptionalist' for me to say that the popes and Catholicism are American.

Derf

I mean yes, in times of emergency, in times of stress (exigency but not just expediency), being so unforgiving is, or can be justified anyway. But I don't think the Church is right now, or was recently, even going back to the lead up to the Reformation, in such a situation, so if we find that someone took a vow but was for example concussed, and not in his right mind when he did so, I suspect that maybe there can be an understanding there.

I just don't want people to look bad unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm pushing back, that depicting Martin Luther and AMR as unconditional and unequivocal solemn vow breakers is necessary. I'm pushing back on that. This is in the light of my understanding of the Scripture, and the Apostolic Tradition expressed in our Catechism, combined with logic and reason.

I could be wrong, and it won't be the last time. But it's not just, all other things being equal, to hold a party responsible for their end of a deal that they only made while under duress for example.
So you should be looking at another Saul story, where he made a vow that his son Jonathan broke unwittingly. The people had to save Jonathan.

Idolater

So you should be looking at another Saul story, where he made a vow that his son Jonathan broke unwittingly. The people had to save Jonathan.
I'm going to get myself a copy of the code of canon law 1983 to see how similar your view is to Catholicism's.

Idolater

It would be, if the bible told us to ride bikes to go to a certain place.
Does the Bible tell us to have bishops as our pastors? Does the Bible tell us that bishops are either made by other bishops, or by the Apostles themselves? Who is your bishop?

Hoping

Banned
Does the Bible tell us to have bishops as our pastors? Does the Bible tell us that bishops are either made by other bishops, or by the Apostles themselves? Who is your bishop?
Bishops ARE pastors.
The words are synonymous.

And, as the bible says nothing about how bishops are "made" we have to comply to what is written.
This is written..."This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil." (1 Tim 3:1-7)
It seems to start with a man who "wants the duty".
If a man fulfills the requirements, he can be a bishop.

The word does say if a man wants to be a deacon, he must be tested/proved..."And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless." (1 Tim 3:10)
I see no reason for a bishop not to also be tested.

Idolater

Bishops ARE pastors.
The words are synonymous.

And, as the bible says nothing about how bishops are "made" we have to comply to what is written.
I'm sorry? Check again. Bishops are ordained, by other bishops, or by Apostles.

Who's your bishop?
This is written..."This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil." (1 Tim 3:1-7)
It seems to start with a man who "wants the duty".
If a man fulfills the requirements, he can be a bishop.

The word does say if a man wants to be a deacon, he must be tested/proved..."And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless." (1 Tim 3:10)
I see no reason for a bishop not to also be tested.
dr