ARCHIVE:God is NOT an OV'er (He said so)

Post Modern Fundamentalist
also, as to markus barth, for anyone whos curious, I know he wrote the anchor bible commentary, or some of it. I believe he's a catholic fella.

geoff

Markus Barth (b. October 6, 1915 – d. July 1, 1994) studied Protestant theology in Bern, Basel, Berlin, and Edinburgh. From 1940 to 1953 he was pastor in Bubendorf near Basel. In 1947 he received a doctorate in New Testament from the University of Göttingen. Between 1953 and 1972 he held professorships in New Testament at theological schools in Dubuque (Iowa), Chicago, and Pittsburgh. From 1973 to 1985 he was professor of New Testament in Basel.

Since 1940, Markus Barth was married to Rose Marie Barth-Oswald (b. November 19, 1913 – d. September 2, 1993). The couple had five children: Peter, Anna, Ruth, Lukas, and Rose Marie, who all live in Europe.

Among a variety of theological interests, three issues were of special importance to Barth:

First, the understanding of the “sacraments” Baptism and Lord’s Supper, to which he devoted two major books: “Die Taufe - ein Sakrament?” (1951), which offers a close look at the New Testament texts on Baptism; and “Das Mahl des Herrn. Gemeinschaft mit Israel, mit Christus und unter den Gästen” (1987, abbreviated English version: “Rediscovering the Lord’s Supper”, 1988), which offers a study of Pauline and Johannine texts and reconsiders the meaning of the Lord’s Supper with attention to its original social and religious context.

Second, the theology of the Pauline and Deutero-Pauline Epistles, which he often taught in class and which he discussed extensively in three major commentaries: Ephesians (1974), Colossians (1994), and Philemon (2000, posthumously); since he regards both Colossians and Ephesians as authentic Pauline letters, these commentaries can be read as a comprehensive presentation of his theology of Paul.

Third, the Jewish-Christian dialogue, which for him included reflection about religious as well as political matters, for example, the theological importance of Judaism for Christianity (and vice versa) or the achievements and failures of Zionism. Two of his writings on this subject are: “Israel and the Church” (1969) and “The People of God” (1983).

He also published a comprehensive study about the meaning of the Apostolate (“Der Augenzeuge”, 1945) and a brief “narration with wonder and admiration” on “Justification” (1971) as well as numerous articles in books and journals.

http://www.ptsem.edu/grow/barth/Markus Barth Papers.htm

drdeutsch

Ahhhhh, Goettingen. What a beautiful city.

Jaltus, you must be rather busy as of late, no? Are you taking summer courses or teaching? What's up?

God bless,
Dr. Deutsch

Post Modern Fundamentalist
Markus Barth (b. October 6, 1915 – d. July 1, 1994) studied Protestant theology...

oh... wrong on one account. I geuss my memories a bit fuzzy here.

drdeutsch

Another interesting note about the University of Goettingen, Georg-August-Universitaet: I had a friend there, whom I visited a few times. She told me that something like 2/3rds of all Nobel Prize winners have either studied or taught there. I think there are also about 18-20 streets named after Nobel Prize winners. Beautiful city. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend visiting it.

God bless,
Dr. Deutsch

geoff

I would love to visit europe, I have a friend in the band No Longer Music, who is based in Vienna, would love to see him.

My first port of call would have to be Jerusalem though.

Jaltus

Just finishing summer classes. I take my final Weds. night, and I have my final interview for my teaching internship tomorrow afternoon.

drdeutsch

Here here!
Good luck on both fronts (finals and the interview).

I look forward to seeing you back here, refreshed and with some more excellent arguments.

God bless,
Dr. Deutsch

Jaltus

The interview is just an exit interview, the work is already done, so it is no biggy.

The final should be easy. I got a 96 on the midterm, so I am not worried. All I need is a B in the class to get credit (this is a pre-req, so it does not count toward GPA in my program).

No worries. If God is for me, who can stand against me?

Y

Yxboom

Now Geoff, isn't that just precious from a psychotic nightmarish mannequin head to a cute lil' hoodlum. It's all good.

drdeutsch

Congrats, Jaltus, and welcome back.

I hope you've been studying your bible, too. Hopefully, I'll be posting some more on Cyrus soon.

God bless,
Dr. Deutsch

Jaltus

Of course, that did not really help me since I was the first one done on my test (yes, I am nearly ALWAYS the firt one done, I write fast).

drd,

I'll be waiting for ya.