ARCHIVE:God repenting and nacham

GrayPilgrim

Wielder of the Flame of Arnor
1013, here is some more grammar stuff

1013, here is some more grammar stuff

Now to the Syntactical arguments--[Actually I am about to take German so that I can read the Grammar I talked about way back when--

As one looks at the yiqtol [generally called imperfect] prefixed with a simple w (as opposed to the wayyiqtol or waw consecutive) we see that it is generally located in direct speech, quotations. So at this point we are dealing with a simple grammatical construction, regardless of what verb we are talking about. In the other 30 times the translators refer to it as a jussive all but 11 of those times. Those 11 are translated at as simple verbs continuing the speech, such as 14:4: "Give us a leader and we will return to Egypt." (italics added to indicated the wyiqtol). So the remaining 20 wyitols, including our pesky hithpael wyiqtol in 23:19 that is a bone of contention. Let us again look at HALOT and our grammar to see which of us is correct.

1. with l to plot revenge against Gn 27:42, to obtain vengeance Ezk 5:13b (doublet of 13a, see Zimmerli 98);

—2. to be grieved by, change one’s mind (ï nif. 2), with l[; Nu 23:19, Dt 32:36 Ps 135:14;

—3. to allow oneself to be comforted at the end of a time of mourning (ï nif. 3d, pi. 1), to console oneself Gn 3735 Ps 11952. †

The idea of change mind is absent in:

Deuteronomy 32:36 "For the LORD will vindicate his people and have compassion on his servants,"

Psalm 135:14 "For the LORD will vindicate his people and have compassion on his servants."

Therefore the author of this entry gave the gloss based upon this verse. Which is based on the reflexive nature of hithpael and as an attempt to make sense of this verse. As it is the only use of the Hithpael in the sense of change mind, I would have problems even if we were dealing with say a neutral verb [i.e. not theologically loaded verb] as akl (eat) used in an odd way in one verse. So as of right now we need to look for more support either way. As my Theology prof. said:

Never say, 'it is written'! Rather, 'it is written,' and 'it is written,' and 'it is written,' and 'it is written'!

Even if it means that he changes his mind [preferable] to he should/would change his mind, it is a negation of God doing that. It states that once the Lord has spoken it is a fixed purpose.

More Later

GrayPilgrim

BTW you have yet to respond to an old question

BTW you have yet to respond to an old question

What does 1013 mean?

Post Modern Fundamentalist
GP, I don't know what to think of your answer on sodom and gomorrah. I'm not sure I like it, but I'm not whole heartedly opposed to it.

I just bumped and archived a thread specifically on the issue and I posted an answer there that I do like from Greg Boyd. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it as it is also a tranlation approach.

Now as far as HALOT goes, was that a direct quote. because here's the weird thing- I have HALOT sitting right next to me as I type, one written by Holladay, and this that I've already posted is a direct quote.

niham
nifal - 1. regret: a) have regrets, a change of heart 1 Samuel 15:29; b) niham 'al allow oneself change o heart regarding, relent regarding Ex 32:12.

It's copywrited 1988. How about yours?

also the problem I've outlined still stands regardless of what you get from the lexicon. Moses is clearly asking God to do more than merely regret his threat. He's not just pleading with God to have an emotional state about what he said. He wants God to do other than what he said he would do. He wants a change of plan.

Last edited:

Post Modern Fundamentalist
As for 1013, I may repost a thread on it and see how the new blood handles it. It has to do with scripture and an areguement that I've posted a couple years ago.

regarding the grammer stuff, I've sort of abandoned the syntactical areguement going back to the contextual one (I think). I let you find that in this thread on your own if you like (I'm currently too lazy).

Last edited:

GrayPilgrim

My HALOT was cut and pasted from BibleWorks, only difference is I cleaned it up a little bit as the print did not paste well.
The Hebrew & Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, CD-ROM Edition
© 1994-2000 Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, The Netherlands. All rights reserved