ARCHIVE: Lying is never righteous!

bill betzler

Jaltus,

Actually, I did read it the first time and it has been in the back of my mind being tossed around even as I posted to your post.

You could be right, though they disobeyed pharaoh, and they answered him as they did, pharaoh may not have cross examined them enough to actually cause them to lie.

A good point.

Of course you know that now no one can use this verse to justify lying. So when their wives burn the dinner they cannot say it was the best dinner yet. Unless they really mean, it was the best "burnt" dinner yet.:)

Hank

The fact is that the Bible shows a "hierarchy of morals" in active effect. When confronted with a certain decisional crisis, one must choose the "lesser of two evils" (by one point of view) or even the "greater of two goods" if a choice MUST be made. This does not smack of situational ethics or relativism as who think too shallowly may surmise, for an absolute standard must underlie such a hierarchy for their to be an unchangeable hierarchy that makes any cogent sense.

You are right Dee Dee. This does not smack of situational ethics or relativism, it’s the definition of situational ethics and relativism.

billwald

1. Is there a difference between lying and telling a partial truth that stacks the deck?

2. Is it possible to tell the whole truth? (John 21:25)

3. Is it possible to know the whole truth?

bill betzler

2. Is it possible to tell the whole truth? (John 21:25)

3. Is it possible to know the whole truth?

We will never know all about Jesus, and in heaven there will be at least one secret we all have from one another.
1. Is there a difference between lying and telling a partial truth that stacks the deck?

Allegories move us in that direction for one way, if you don't want to lie and yet must answer. It is not a lie yet evades the desired answer, wanted by the questioneer, to the question.

bill betzler

You are right Dee Dee. This does not smack of situational ethics or relativism, it’s the definition of situational ethics and relativism.

I was thinking that also and was some what curious as to how she was going to justify the statement. I think she would have trouble.

The one possibility that I see is between governments. Is there a moral law, e.g., that requires Iraq to tell the USA the truth?

Hank

The one possibility that I see is between governments. Is there a moral law, e.g., that requires Iraq to tell the USA the truth?

Often governments are spoken of as entities within themselves. But for a government to lie, someone has to tell the lie. Even if a group of people agrees on the lie, it’s still a lie. Often also it is justified in the name of self-defense. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s a lie regardless of the reason. If you are going to have absolute morality, you have to have some absolutes. Otherwise it’s just a slippery slope at the top of a hill.

mindlight

Jesus never lied and always had the wisdom to find a way of answering the question that put the problem of answering it back on his listeners or at least challenged them to look a little deeper. He had the authority, wisdom and presence to do this and to get away with this until his appointed time and it would not have fitted his mission to lie in any circumstances. He was and is the ruler of the kingdom of God not a politician or soldier playing to the rules of the present worldly order.

But there are numerous examples of righteous men called to different purposes lying through out scripture e.g. for political or military purposes.

King David is a classic example lying to Achish (1 Sam 21 v 10 - 15) when he pretended madness and in (1 Sam 27 v 5 - 12) where he misled him that he was attacking Israeli outposts when in fact he was attacking the Geshurites, Girzites and Amalekites thereby increasing the strength and security of his future kingdom.

Maybe a lie should be measured against the purpose it achieves on some occasions and as previous person said against the hierarchy of values that Christian share. David had been promised the throne by God and had a responsibility to keep himself and his men alive. He wanted to promote the kingdom of Israel and used deceit as a way of hiding the ways in which he was doing that - wiping out all the witnesses to this by his total destruction of Israels enemies.

Maybe also a lie should be measured against the values the one to whom it is spoken. Achish has little credibility from a Jewish or later from a Christian point of view and neither did the Nazis. God may allow lies to achieve his purposes with people whom he knows do not love the truth and who would respond inappropriately to it.

Hank

If you want to believe and teach that God approves and even tells people to lie when certain circumstances seem expedient, then that’s certainly your prerogative. However in your post you basically argued that the end justifies the means. Is that your belief?

Post Modern Fundamentalist
another hero of the faith lies

another hero of the faith lies

just adding this for discussion. don't know if it'll make any more difference to anyone as the lie is not praised but of course it is not condemned either.

But how strange that a prophet of God, one who is to call the people of God back to the law is sinning here with no condemnation, if he's sinning at all.

I think this is just further evidence to the the effect that "lieing is sin" is a general fact with exceptions and not an absolute fact.

Jerimaiah 38

24 Then Zedekiah said to Jeremiah, "Do not let anyone know about this conversation, or you may die. 25 If the officials hear that I talked with you, and they come to you and say, 'Tell us what you said to the king and what the king said to you; do not hide it from us or we will kill you,' 26 then tell them, 'I was pleading with the king not to send me back to Jonathan's house to die there.' "
27 All the officials did come to Jeremiah and question him, and he told them everything the king had ordered him to say. So they said no more to him, for no one had heard his conversation with the king.
28 And Jeremiah remained in the courtyard of the guard until the day Jerusalem was captured.

Last edited:

billwald

"Jesus never lied and always had the wisdom to find a way of answering the question that put the problem of answering it back on his listeners or at least challenged them to look a little deeper."

Far as we know he never told a direct lie. He occasionally obfuscated. He made at least one scientifically questionable statement, "Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies . . . ."

smilax

"The sun sets," is scientifically questionable by that definition. What exactly is your point? Equivocation is not lying, by the way.

mindlight

Hank

It would have been right to tell a lie to the Nazis about whether or not I was hiding Jews if I thought that that would have saved them. Here love for the Jew I was hiding was the higher truth than telling a deceived SS Guard a truth that would mean the death of a person. In other words there is a hierarchy of values that should govern ones actions and in a fallen world one often has to choose between the lesser of two evils.

I believe Davids techniques of survival and of eliminating Israels enemies fitted the times he was called in and Gods purpose and did achieve Gods purpose, but interestingly he was not regarded worthy of building the temple of God.

Machiavelli told his prince that the princes ends justified the means. That is different from arguing that Gods ends may sometimes justify ungodly means. In a fallen world in which sin is a reality God may sometimes allow a deceiving spirit to lead our rulers astray because he wants to achieve the ruin of that leader. He may harden the heart of Pharoah to live his lie or the hearts of those who hear the truth of Gods word so that they cannot feel its power and are instead handed over to their sins.

Jeremiah obeys his Kings command having previously shared the word the Lord gave him with the people and with the King himself. Having already completed the task he had been given he kept himself alive according to the promise of the king not to kill him. He is no where condemned for this deceit to officials of the king who were themselves deceivers and who had been attempting to mislead the king against the expressed view of God that had come through Jeremiah.

To apply the same principle to our creation discussion I suppose some would suggest that what I should do is tell you that God created via the mechanisms you believe you can discern from the book of nature ie via macro evolution and over billions of years. ('weak to the weak, strong to the strong'). Thus I offer you a placebo which allows you to reconcile faith in God with rejection of an element of his word which you cannot accept as it stands. However I obey no king or higher purpose in doing so and I encourage you to continue to believe a lie if I do. 99% of the time honesty is the best policy I believe - the circumstances in which it is not are exceptional ones not normal ones.

P

Pilgrimagain

In other words there is a hierarchy of values that should govern ones actions and in a fallen world one often has to choose between the lesser of two evils.

Well said.

bill betzler

One of a few thoughts that comes to my mind; is the account of Moses formalizing the acceptance of divorce. It doesn't matter why he did it, but that he did. I'm sure there was a social end that justified the mean and in his situation it was expedient to do so.

But then along comes Jesus to condemn those that had need to avail themselves of the divorce proceedings. That is,--- because of the hardness of your hearts---.

bill betzler

Hank,
Often governments are spoken of as entities within themselves. But for a government to lie, someone has to tell the lie. Even if a group of people agrees on the lie, it’s still a lie. Often also it is justified in the name of self-defense. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s a lie regardless of the reason. If you are going to have absolute morality, you have to have some absolutes. Otherwise it’s just a slippery slope at the top of a hill.

I agree. I would just add that one government is not required to answer the queries of an opposing government. But no justification for lying.

Hank

mindlight

It would have been right to tell a lie to the Nazis about whether or not I was hiding Jews if I thought that that would have saved them.

This is the argument that the ends justifies the means. I would ask you again, do you believe that sometimes the end justifies the means?

Here love for the Jew I was hiding was the higher truth than telling a deceived SS Guard a truth that would mean the death of a person.

You are arguing that the life of a person is more valuable than the truth. I’m assuming you are a Christian. If so, would you deny your belief in the person you call Christ to save your life.

In other words there is a hierarchy of values that should govern ones actions and in a fallen world one often has to choose between the lesser of two evils.

No one has to choose between the lesser of two evils. This is that slippery slope that leads to all kinds of false beliefs. You can choose to tell the truth or you can choose to lie regardless of the consequences. Jesus chose to tell the truth even when faced with death and the world was changed forever. How much would be changed if everyone chose to tell the truth regardless of the consequences.

That is different from arguing that Gods ends may sometimes justify ungodly means.

Do you realize how much ungodliness, pain, torture, and basic inhumanity has been justified by that statement. Just who decides when ungodly means are justified?

To apply the same principle to our creation discussion I suppose some would suggest that what I should do is tell you that God created via the mechanisms you believe you can discern from the book of nature ie via macro evolution and over billions of years. ('weak to the weak, strong to the strong'). Thus I offer you a placebo which allows you to reconcile faith in God with rejection of an element of his word which you cannot accept as it stands. However I obey no king or higher purpose in doing so and I encourage you to continue to believe a lie if I do. 99% of the time honesty is the best policy I believe - the circumstances in which it is not are exceptional ones not normal ones.

This has no application to our discussion regarding evolution. You believe the Bible should be interpreted a certain way no matter what and I believe the Bible should be interpreted in light of the evidence God has given us. Neither of us is lying, we just have different beliefs.

Gavin

Just my two cents:

1 Samuel 16:2
But Samuel said, "How can I go? Saul will hear about it and kill me." The LORD said, "Take a heifer with you and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the LORD .'

God commands a lie.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Okay, I am back and can see that a lot has been posted on this subject while I have been gone, and unfortunately most of it betrays shallow thinking on this subject. I will start with the more foundational issue before moving on to the Biblical text. When I had stated that the Bible teaches a hierarchy of morals (something that we all also know intuitively as true if we are honest) I made a point of saying that this position is not relativism or situational ethics. In response Hank had said:

This does not smack of situational ethics or relativism, it’s the definition of situational ethics and relativism.

This is absolutely (pun intended) and utterly incorrect. The unfortunate thing is that most Christians have an unbiblical definition/idea of what it means to hold to moral absolutes, and thus cannot understand that there is a pecking order to moral decisions. Now how is this not relativism?? Let me make this clear, I am a moral absolutist, but more precisely a Biblical moral absolutist.

Relativism teaches that morals are relative to the person. In any given identical situation, what is moral for you to do, may not be moral for me to do. There is no absolute rule by which to objectively measure our actions. That is not at all what I have advocated here. I am applying an ABSOLUTE hierarchy of morals which would be applied ABSOLUTELY CONSISTENTLY. As Koukl has put it, “Moral relativism doesn’t have to do with relative circumstances, it has to do with relative people,” and this distinction makes a world of difference, i.e. the difference between Biblical and unbiblical moral functioning. Biblical morality upholds a standard that is outside of and binding upon all persons.

The next issue of course is exactly what is the “lying” that is condemned by the Bible as sinful. It is simply immoral deception. Not all deception is immoral. My points in my last post about sports players “faking” their opponents and about people altering their true physical appearance have remained unanswered (as well as my point about the “escape clause” for the command to obey the government). In another thread I graphically demonstrated to Cirisme that by the strict and unbiblical stand he has advocated here, that he would be sinning and be completely unrighteous by some of the jokes that he tells here since they involve an untruth, such as claiming that he has Knight’s password.

I see also that the implications of this strong stand have made even its would-be adherents internally uncomfortable by the splitting of the hairs that has gone on. If anyone wants to be strictly technical on this, equivocation would be lying and not being entirely forthright would be lying. Jesus was not always completely forthright, nor has God throughout the entire Bible. Why is this not lying??

On another front, even if all lying were a sin, not all sins are equal, something not only taught by the Bible, but also by our own basic common sense. Cheating on a math exam is not the same as sniper shooting people in Virginia.

To tie up some other loose ends, it was claimed by Altus that Rehab was not praised for her lying, but just for her faith. However, the fact is that her faith cannot be separated from her lie. She was praised for her actions in the whole situation, which cannot be parceled out into the good portions and the bad portions when absolutely no condemnation ever appears for her alleged immoral lie. According to some here, her lie demonstrated a complete lack of faith for, according to them, she should have told the truth and trusted God to deliver the spies. The same thing would go for the midwives, but again, before AND after mentioning their lie, the Bible praises them for their faith, which was demonstrated by their actions which is the only way that we can see a person’s faith as James has eloquently stated that we are justified by our works before men.

bill betzler

Hank
Just my two cents:

1 Samuel 16:2
But Samuel said, "How can I go? Saul will hear about it and kill me." The LORD said, "Take a heifer with you and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the LORD .'

God commands a lie.
It wasn't a lie. Samuel did take the heifer and sacrifice it.

bill betzler

To tie up some other loose ends, it was claimed by Altus that Rehab was not praised for her lying, but just for her faith. However, the fact is that her faith cannot be separated from her lie. She was praised for her actions in the whole situation, which cannot be parceled out into the good portions and the bad portions when absolutely no condemnation ever appears for her alleged immoral lie.

Luke 16:

1 And he said also unto his disciples, There was a
certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same
was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I
hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship;
for thou mayest be no longer steward.
3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do?
for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I
cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of
the stewardship, they may receive me into their
houses.
5 So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him,
and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my
lord?
6 And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said
unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and
write fifty.
7 Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And
he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said
unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he
had done wisely: for the children of this world are in
their generation wiser than the children of light.
9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the
mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they
may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Dee Dee. How can you prove that Rehab's faith cannot be serparated from her lie? Even if you could it wouldn't matter, since the reward for Rehab was her earthly life, and not eternal life.

In Luke 16 we see a commendable wisdom that does not lead to eternal life but does prosper individuals on this earth. The parable is by Jesus himself. If the scriptures would have told us that Rehab gained eternal life by her lie then you would have an argument, but it doesn't.

Rev 21:
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable,
and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and
idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the
lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is
the second death.

Liars will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Lying is a sin to repent of.