ARCHIVE: Open Theism in Light of First John 3:20

Freak

The very nature of Biblical prophecy, if nothing else, seems sufficient to render open theism implausible and lacking.

Even the Holy Scriptures speak clearly against the view that somehow God is unaware of some future events.

First John 1 (with emphasis on verse 20) clearly demonstrates God knows everything:

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence *20*whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

What part of "knows everything" that OVer's don't understand? God knows everything. Case close.

Calvinist

Are you saying that God perfectly knows the future under OV?

When makes the challenge based on 1 John 3:20, I believe he is speaking of knowing "everything" including a meticulous understanding of the future, which is necessary for his Redemptive plan. But back to the verse in question and Goose's remark that "everything" has "like" 6-7 meanings in the NT:

1 John 3:20
oti ean kataginwskh hmwn h kardia, oti meizwn estin o qeoV thV kardiaV hmwn kai ginwskei panta.

1 John 3 (KJV)
20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

ginwskei: 1) to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel 1a) to become known 2) to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of 2a) to understand 2b) to know 3) Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman 4) to become acquainted with, to know

panta: 1) individually 1a) each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things, everything 2) collectively 2a) some of all types

Now Goose can try and make "everything" in this verse means something like, "some of all things" but it just does not fit the context IMO. Another example of a hermeneutic that is, and should be, suspect of careful scholarship. Clearly the verse plainly means, using Enyart's "Sentence Within Technique": "God knows everything." Reinterpreting the word "everything" to is like quibbling over the word "is." Pantas means "everything" here and everything means everything.

But more important than this isolated verse is the context here. John is making a definite statement about just what complete knowledge God has. For the context of him saying that God knows everything is in relationship to our hearts. He knows the very actions that we will take in that he knows "everything" about our hearts:

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Summary: We know the truth of God, but we sometimes don't know our own hearts which lead astray. But God is not like us, for he knows our hearts better than we know then, because he is God and knows everything.

Freak

Calvinist says correctly, I might add:Reinterpreting the word "everything" to is like quibbling over the word "is." Pantas means "everything" here and everything means everything.

People, esp. OVer's, have incredible trouble using common sense when it comes to this subject.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
As far as I know about Openness, the thinking is that future events are not included in the set of "things." For OVers, they would agree that God knows everything, just that "everything" does no include things that have not happened yet. Things that have not happened yet are not "things," so "every-thing" doesn't capture them.

I'm not agreeing with their view, just trying to clarify it. Any OVer can correct me if I erred.

Freak

Originally posted by Nihilo
As far as I know about Openness, the thinking is that future events are not included in the set of "things." For OVers, they would agree that God knows everything, just that "everything" does no include things that have not happened yet. Things that have not happened yet are not "things," so "every-thing" doesn't capture them.

I'm not agreeing with their view, just trying to clarify it. Any OVer can correct me if I erred.

God's Word tells us this:

Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon me, and he told me to say: "This is what the LORD says: That is what you are saying, O house of Israel, but I know what is going through your mind.

Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit."

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

His understanding of what might be and what might not be is not limited as His Word points out. He knows all possibilities, realized and unrealized for He knows all.

philosophizer

I have a couple questions.

I'm just starting to learn about this "Openness" business so I may not be fully up to speed with all of its doctrines. So please correct me, anyone, if I begin making any straw arguments.

First, how is christian salvation possible without God's knowledge of the future? If the world's end is not set, then the events detailed and revealed in the scriptures are not necessarily all that is needed because something unaccounted for could yet arise. That would mean that all the God-given prophesies are just "best guesses." It would also mean that Christ's sacrifice on the cross was not the last, all-powerful, all-forgiving act needed to save the world from sin and the evil forces could still out-trump Him somehow.

So if God does not know the future, what is biblical prophecy? It is just God's educated guess, isn't it? The OV view still claims that God knows all that is and was, right? So prophecies would be God's extrapolation of future possibilities based on probable directions that things could take. And since God knows more than anyone, including Satan, about all that is and was, God's extrapolation of future events would be much more accurate than Satan's and make it extremely likely that His plan of salvation through Jesus will work.

I see a big problem in this. It relies on probabilities. It leaves a chance, though extremely small, that God's plan could fail. Maybe my analysis isn't representative of OV views but if anyone can answer this problem I'm presenting, please do. I think Albert Einstein said quite nicely, "God doesn't play dice."

Next, what is open theism interpretation of what time is? Is time an eternal device or an elemnt of creation? Is time a structure or medium to contain existence, and if so, on what level does it reside-- does it contain all, or is it contained within a greater medium?

I believe that time is an element of creation. I believe that on the first day, God created the 4 dimensions to contain existence: 3D space and time. Therefore God exists outside of time. Whether you believe that God created time directly or that time is a by-product of the existence which God created, the creation ultimately leads back to Him and puts Him outside of time.

If God exists outside of time, then He has seen the nothingness when time didn't exist. It is tempting to use phrases like "before time" and "when time didn't exist" but that is fallacious since those are comparative measurements based on time. There would simply be two phases: existence and non-existence.

To exist outside of time would be to see it in terms of this existence on non-existence. Time would likely appear as a singularity. It would be one "thing" instead of a progression of events. It would be like a "big-picture" that shows all the progression of time at once. All events effectively happening in zero-time.

I believe that God knows the future. He has seen it, has always seen it, and is seeing it right now. It is all contained within the same big picture of existence. How else would He be able to know how to save humanity from our sin? How else would He know His plan would work?

Peace.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
More food for thought....

More food for thought....

5 years ago Bob Enyart posted the following on TheologyOnLine. I think its worth posting again...
Omnipresence: Do we really mean God is everywhere at all times? Is He in Hell and will He forever be in the Lake of Fire? Being where you do not want to be is like being imprisoned, and no one is going to imprison God. I doubt He will be in these places. We warn people not to go to Hell where they would live without God. Says the Lord to the wicked, "I will cast you out of My presence" (Jer. 23:39). If these observations hold, then our non-biblical term "omnipresence" overstates the truth.

Omnipotence: Do we really mean that God has all power? God has created authorities, principalities and powers (Rom. 8:38; Eph. 3:10; 6:12; Col. 1:16; 2:15; 1 Pet. 3:22; Mat. 24:29; Mark 13:25; Luke 21:26) and thus He has delegated authority and power to beings that He created. When the Bible describes "God, who cannot lie" (Titus 1:2) it touches on the principle of absolute right and wrong. Righteousness is a description of God's character and not an arbitrary designation. (When the Christian scholastics taught that God's morality was arbitrary, they paved the way for the godless Renaissance and the Enlightenment.) God can not make rape praise-worthy and faithfulness wicked. He cannot by decree reverse the absolutes. Good is truly good, because it reflects God's character; and evil is truly evil, because it rejects God's character. If these observations hold, then the typical definition of "omnipotence" supercedes the truth.

Omniscience: Do we really mean that God knows everything? Says the Lord to the wicked, "I, even I, will utterly forget you" (Jer. 23:39). An inspired plea to God states, "Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions" (Ps. 25:7). "I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins" (Isa. 43:25). God wants to put these wicked things out of His mind because it is ugly to remember them: "you have burdened Me with your sins, you have wearied Me with your iniquities" (Isa. 43:24). Must God recall in vivid detail every gross perversion acted out by homos in public restrooms? Who would impose that vulgar duty on God? If these observations hold also, then our non- biblical term "omniscience" overstates the truth. Of that which is knowable, God knows that which He chooses to know and remember.

- 4-15-98 Bob Enyart

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by philosophizer
I believe that God knows the future. He has seen it, has always seen it, and is seeing it right now. It is all contained within the same big picture of existence. How else would He be able to know how to save humanity from our sin? How else would He know His plan would work?

Peace.
There is no power more powerful than God.

If God want's His plan fulfilled then his plan will be fulfilled.

Maybe God's plan was to give mankind the REAL ability to have a will of his own.

Does God not have the power to delegate some of His own power?

philosophizer

Originally posted by Knight
Maybe God's plan was to give mankind the REAL ability to have a will of his own.

Does God not have the power to delegate some of His own power?

Absolutely, God has the power to delegate some of His power to us. And mankind's gift of freewill and the ability to make choices is a very definite part of His plan. Choice is an integral part of salvation. Every person is the product of his or her choices. They are what guide our lives and determine our fate.

But just because we are all the determiners of our lives and responsible for our influence on the lives of others doesn't mean that God does not know the future. Our choices are a part of His plan which He was able to conceive looking at the big picture of the entire stretch of time.

evseeker

philosophizer said:
I believe that God knows the future.

I would be interested in hearing why he believes this.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But just because we are all the determiners of our lives and responsible for our influence on the lives of others doesn't mean that God does not know the future. Our choices are a part of His plan which He was able to conceive looking at the big picture of the entire stretch of time.
We have been down this road a million times. I realize you are new here... so I will be happy to go down this road again if you like.

Some people think....

Man has his own will and makes his own freewill choices.

Yet... God still knows all of the future in exhaustive detail.

These two views are mutually exclusive. I can explain why if you like.

Furthermore... if God knows the future in exhaustive detail we should find no instances in the Bible in where Gods predicts something that does not come to pass.

philosophizer

Originally posted by evseeker
philosophizer said:
I believe that God knows the future.

I would be interested in hearing why he believes this.

It would be fallacious to examine the view of one who exists beyond time in the terms and measurments that are dependent on time. Let me try to differentiate between time as a "process" and time as a "thing."

When you cook something there is a process. You must follow a recipie. You must add and do certain things in a certain order and in a certain way to get the desired (known) end result. Our view of time in our lives usually follows this. Time is a process, or rather a medium for our lives which are processes. God is seen as a chef who prepares the meal of time, following the recipie (process) perfectly until the known end result. This view is really all we need for our perspective. And in the manner that we can perceive it, it is correct.

But to one who exists beyond time and sees all of time as an instant, understanding time is more like knowledge of an object. I look at the kleenex box on my desk and I know what it is. I can immediately witness its properties. By simply looking at it I know its purpose. If I was looking at a TV monitor and I was shown the image of a kleenex box for as brief a moment as would be perceptable, I would know what it was. I do not need to see it do anything. It just sits there on my desk and I know what it is, what it is for, and all of its properties. Being able to witness time in an instant would be the same as knowing an object that is in front of you. It has a purpose but you do not need to see it do anything. It is doing everything at once. In fact I could say the same of the kleenex box. That kleenex box is doing everything at once. Everything it is capable of doing, it is doing. Time to the Timeless would be the same.

I said that I believe God knows the future. I'm sorry that I didn't define the term. The future is not a series of progressive events. What we call "the future" is an attribute of time itself.

philosophizer

We have been down this road a million times. I realize you are new here... so I will be happy to go down this road again if you like.

Some people think....

Man has his own will and makes his own freewill choices.

Yet... God still knows all of the future in exhaustive detail.

These two views are mutually exclusive. I can explain why if you like.

Furthermore... if God knows the future in exhaustive detail we should find no instances in the Bible in where Gods predicts something that does not come to pass.

I am aware that they seem mutually exclusive. I am not saying that both views can exist to us at the same time. I am, however, saying that both views can exist from different points of view at the same time. The view God sees is vastly different than the view we see.

Modern physics has even acknowledged that dependent on speed and direction, a single event can be perceived as happening at different times. All that stuff about theory of Relativity and time slowing as an object approaches the speed of light demonstrates this concept. A single event from different points of view under certain circumstances can actually be seen as happening at two different times.

It seems to me that perspective has a great deal to do with it. From our perspective the ideas may seem mutually exclusive and conventional logic would seem to agree. But, as God's perspective must be vastly different, I do not agree that these two ideas cannot coincide.

2 Peter 3:8 -- But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

This idea also seems a contradiction, yet to the Lord's point of view it must make perfect sense. The notion of the Trinity constantly faces the scrutiny of conventional logic, yet this does not mean that it is an impossibility from where God stands.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Phil-you asked
First, how is Christian salvation possible without God's knowledge of the future? If the world's end is not set, then the events detailed and revealed in the scriptures are not necessarily all that is needed because something unaccounted for could yet arise. That would mean that all the God-given prophesies are just "best guesses." It would also mean that Christ's sacrifice on the cross was not the last, all-powerful, all-forgiving act needed to save the world from sin and the evil forces could still out-trump Him somehow.
God does not predestine individuals to salvation, but groups. Such as in the nation of Israel and the Body of Christ. Once you become a member of the Body of Christ, you are pre-destined to become holy and sanctified. As far as evil out trumping God somehow… that won’t happen, because God isall-powerful, (so long as you allow the biblical interpretation of what all powerful means, rather than what many Christians think it means). As for the cross saving the world, remember that it makes a way for salvation for those who would believe, not for the rest of the world. At the end of the battle, Christ will come down and the enemy will be destroyed not saved by the cross. God makes this prophesy just as He makes others, by stating that He will make it happen, not that He foreknew or foresaw that it would happen.

So if God does not know the future, what is biblical prophecy? It is just God's educated guess, isn't it? The OV view still claims that God knows all that is and was, right? So prophecies would be God's extrapolation of future possibilities based on probable directions that things could take. And since God knows more than anyone, including Satan about all that is and was, God's extrapolation of future events would be much more accurate than Satan's and make it extremely likely that His plan of salvation through Jesus will work. I see a big problem in this. It relies on probabilities. It leaves a chance, though extremely small, that God's plan could fail.

Well, I partially answered this above, but let’s take it a bit further. The proof of this is in the numerous prophesies that were not fulfilled, as well as the numerous statements made by God that He would do one thing, but then decided against it because of repentance or because He was talked out of it by someone that He loved.
Is there a chance that God will fail, no. But there is a chance that the prophesies in the Book of Revelation will not come out exactly as stated. For instance, if every Jew in the world were to join the Body of Christ, the time of Jacob’s trouble would no longer be needed. Would God be upset about this? No way. He would be elated, because the Jews would be saved. Is there a chance, that Satan will win in the end? No. Because God is all powerful (meaning that He can do all that is possible for Him to do), and Satan is not. But notice that even in the Revelation, the majority of the people on the earth refuse God and are destroyed.

I believe that time is an element of creation. I believe that on the first day, God created the 4 dimensions to contain existence: 3D space and time. Therefore God exists outside of time. Whether you believe that God created time directly or that time is a by-product of the existence which God created, the creation ultimately leads back to Him and puts Him outside of time.

The key thing to look at here, is in your first line. “I believe…” Yes you do, but it is not based on any biblical support. God states that in the beginning, He created, matter, energy and life.
Gen. 1:1-3 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth(matter). The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light” (energy); and there was light…
Gen. 1:20-21 Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, life with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Nowhere does God state that He created time. Just as He did not create love, or hate. These are not things. They are not matter, or energy or life. They are concepts. Just as time is not a “thing”, but rather just the normal procession from one event to the next.

If God exists outside of time, then He has seen the nothingness when time didn't exist. It is tempting to use phrases like "before time" and "when time didn't exist" but that is fallacious since those are comparative measurements based on time. There would simply be two phases: existence and non-existence.

Please listen to the ridiculousness of your own argument. When did God see this nothingness before time? Was it before He created time? Of course not, because the term itself refutes that possibility stating there was a before, before time was created. It is a contradiction, and God is not a contradiction, just as His power and His knowledge is also not a contradiction. That is why God is not powerful enough to make a rock so big He can’t move it, and He cannot know events in an as yet untold future, other than the events He will make happen. Because He is real and not a magic contradiction.

Once again, you state this with no biblical support but rather from your gut feeling. And that is understandable because it is hard for Christians (who love and honor God) to say something that seems to make Him less than all-powerful or all knowing. But we are not saying anything like that. We know that He is all-powerful and all knowing, but we accept the terms of what these things mean from the biblical passages that explain them to us.

One last example of what I am talking about. Most Christians think that faith means the blind belief that a child has. That is the standard explanation the vast majority of Christians today would state is what their faith is. But that is not what the bible says faith is. The bible states in Hebrews that it is anything but that, telling us clearly that faith is:
Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hope this helps with our position.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am aware that they seem mutually exclusive. I am not saying that both views can exist to us at the same time. I am, however, saying that both views can exist from different points of view at the same time. The view God sees is vastly different than the view we see.

Modern physics has even acknowledged that dependent on speed and direction, a single event can be perceived as happening at different times. All that stuff about theory of Relativity and time slowing as an object approaches the speed of light demonstrates this concept. A single event from different points of view under certain circumstances can actually be seen as happening at two different times.
Yet in reality both events did indeed happen at the same time.

It seems to me that perspective has a great deal to do with it. From our perspective the ideas may seem mutually exclusive and conventional logic would seem to agree. But, as God's perspective must be vastly different, I do not agree that these two ideas cannot coincide.
Well then put these idea's to the test!

Let's assume for sake of argument that God knows all of the future in exhaustive detail as you assert.

And at THIS moment He knows that my friend John Doe is not saved.

Let's further assume that God also knows that John Doe will live the next three years of his life rejecting God. Of course God also knows every other detail of John Does life for the next three years as well. God knows.... that in three years John Doe will eventually commit suicide by an overdose of drugs and die an unsaved man on March 3rd 2006.

John Doe knows none of this of course.

Ask yourself: Does John Doe have the ability to make God's foreknowledge of John's own life for the next three years NOT come to pass?

Can John Doe thwart God's exhaustive foreknowledge?

P.S. Also.... you failed to respond to my second point in my last post in where I said "Furthermore... if God knows the future in exhaustive detail we should find no instances in the Bible in where Gods predicts something that does not come to pass."

philosophizer

Originally posted by Lion
Nowhere does God state that He created time. Just as He did not create love, or hate. These are not things. They are not matter, or energy or life. They are concepts. Just as time is not a “thing”, but rather just the normal procession from one event to the next.

Interesting. I think I understand these ideas a little better now, thank you.

A large part of our disagreement has to do with our interpretations of time. I see it as an element of creation while you see it as an element of perception. Not as a "thing" but as a conceptual description of the progress of events.

I still, however, see evidence of its creation.

Genesis 1:1-5 -- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day.

First, what are "day and night?" On Earth, day is the period of time when the light of the sun shines on whatever side of the planet you are standing on. Night is when the sun is on the opposite side. Our measurements of day and night are based on the sun and the rotation of the Earth as it orbits the sun.

Yet the sun doesn't get created until the fourth day.
Verse 17-18: "God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good."

Governing the day and night, enabling us to measure and count the days is of importance only to us. God does not need to count days. If our measurments of day and night are based on the sun which was created on day four, why was there day and night on the first day? God was the only one around at that point, and it doesn't seem like an eternal being would need to count days.

I see this as evidence pointing to the motion of time. Day and night are descriptions we use to describe our position in terms of other celestial bodies. But I think verse 5's description of day and night point to God kick-starting the motion of time.

I therefore see time as an element of creation, not an element of perception.

philosophizer

Also.... you failed to respond to my second point in my last post in where I said "Furthermore... if God knows the future in exhaustive detail we should find no instances in the Bible in where Gods predicts something that does not come to pass."[/i]

I would prefer to respond to the specific rather than the general. Could you give me a few specific predictions that you would suggest I look at. I'll take a look at them as soon as I can.

Thanks.