Assisted Suicide... a right?

glassjester

Am I reading the news right? California has legalized physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill people, yes?

So how "terminal" do you have to be? 6 months to live? 6 years to live? We're all "terminal," aren't we?

How long before someone sues the state, claiming this new law is discriminatory? What if a person is experiencing psychological pain - enough to desire death? Why should they be denied this new "right"?

I always thought when someone was suicidal, you were supposed to counsel them, not kill them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Am I reading the news right? California has legalized physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill people, yes?

So how "terminal" do you have to be? 6 months to live? 6 years to live? We're all "terminal," aren't we?

How long before someone sues the state, claiming this new law is discriminatory? What if a person is experiencing psychological pain - enough to desire death? Why should they be denied this new "right"?

I always thought when someone was suicidal, you were supposed to counsel them, not kill them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Good questions, and the last is a concern that goes right to heart of the Hippocratic oath condensed - to do no harm.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/Hippocratic-oath

brewmama

It's more and more degradation from the culture of death and the view that life is merely utilitarian and people should be allowed to die when their physical abilities decrease. Studies show that terminal people are more afraid of pain than dying, and if we would focus on palliative treatment and pain control, the person would be honored as would life itself.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It's more and more degradation from the culture of death and the view that life is merely utilitarian and people should be allowed to die when their physical abilities decrease.
And eventually forced like logans run...

Logans-Run-Carousel.jpg

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It's more and more degradation from the culture of death and the view that life is merely utilitarian and people should be allowed to die when their physical abilities decrease. Studies show that terminal people are more afraid of pain than dying, and if we would focus on palliative treatment and pain control, the person would be honored as would life itself.

Yes it's called morphine and hospice

shagster01

I never understand why if you make someone live through a terminal disease that is ultimately going to kill them, you are doing them a favor, but if your pet has the same problem putting them down is the merciful thing to do.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Effective counseling is listening. If you want to change behavior you need to help the person see what their alternatives are.

My wife and I have worked in the medical field for years. On patient intake we always asked the person what they wanted us to do if there was an emergency.

Bring me back to life and spare no efforts?
Bring me back to life but don’t insert a feeding tube?
Bring me back to life but don’t administer hydration?
Don’t hook me up to a machine if I can’t breathe on my own?

The medical field has evolved to a place where everyone has a right to choose how they want to be treated.

Sarah Palin called this process “death panels.” I think it was more effective politically for her to say “death” rather than “patient choice."

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Maybe they can limit the assisted suicides to severe pain and suffering with no cure type cases. Or no mental capacity; brain dead.

No living thing should be required to suffer agonizing pain and suffering to death.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have a cousin, about my age, a church going man, decent fella, by many standards, and likable fellow. He told me, not too long ago, when he turns eighty years old, unless in extraordinary good health, he plans on ending his life. If I remember correctly, this subject came up in the context of physician assisted suicide, where he thought only a moron needed a physician to assist in his ending his life.

I am morally against taking one’s own life, but this was not the topic of conversation. It was his idea that ending his life was very easy and he thought anyone who needed help in doing it had to be an idiot.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have a cousin, about my age, a church going man, decent fella, by many standards, and likable fellow. He told me, not too long ago, when he turns eighty years old, unless in extraordinary good health, he plans on ending his life. If I remember correctly, this subject came up in the context of physician assisted suicide, where he thought only a moron needed a physician to assist in his ending his life.

I am morally against taking one’s own life, but this was not the topic of conversation. It was his idea that ending his life was very easy and he thought anyone who needed help in doing it had to be an idiot.

I think a fear of some suicidal folks is that they will fail.

brewmama

Effective counseling is listening. If you want to change behavior you need to help the person see what their alternatives are.

My wife and I have worked in the medical field for years. On patient intake we always asked the person what they wanted us to do if there was an emergency.

The medical field has evolved to a place where everyone has a right to choose how they want to be treated.

Sarah Palin called this process “death panels.” I think it was more effective politically for her to say “death” rather than “patient choice."

Resuscitation or lack thereof is very different than suicide/murder.

It's very easy for "patient choice" to become death panels, for example Terri Schiavo, and all the elderly or incompetents being killed
for expedience in Europe.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think a fear of some suicidal folks is that they will fail.

He said only an idiot would think it might fail and could fail because they were totally ignorant and inept.

Then he was a chemist. if that matters? He thought it did not.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Resuscitation or lack thereof is very different than suicide/murder.

It's very easy for "patient choice" to become death panels, for example Terri Schiavo, and all the elderly or incompetents being killed
for expedience in Europe.
I really think it depends on the situation and context.

In my experience, anyway.

Patient choice is the key, as I tried to make clear.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

You are in the medical field you know what this means DNR no CPR

I do not think there is sin in refusing intervention which by nature may not be available. This is not suicide, it is allowing what would take course to happen.

Also suicide has two meanings, one being legal, and one being psychological. The legal one may stand alone.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I really think it depends on the situation and context.

In my experience, anyway.

Patient choice is the key, as I tried to make clear.

Why? :confused:
Why do they need any assistance. If anyone wants out if life and cannot do it, then I wonder if they are living rational people

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
I don't think which method you chose to end your life matters, other than some methods leave less of a mess to clean up afterward.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You are in the medical field you know what this means DNR no CPR

I do not think there is sin in refusing intervention which by nature may not be available. This is not suicide, it is allowing what would take course to happen.
I think this is the point being made by those who want to die.

I often think of the biblical story where Abraham was the first person to exhibit the signs of aging--after Sarah's death, and before the search for his son's life partner.

I had to go back to it.

The process of aging happens amidst a constellation of intense intellectual and emotional moments:

--The loss of a life partner (Genesis 23)
--The conclusion of raising a child to adulthood (Genesis 24)
--And the wisdom that commands the respect of those who have not yet lived so full a life.

Rather than fear the physical manifestations of his advancing age, Abraham seeks it out, precisely because his life has achieved a measure of fullness and because he is able to appreciate that achievement.

This acceptance of and appreciation for his old age leads inexorably to his death.

With Sarah his life partner gone after a long road together, and his son's future apparently secured, Abrahamis ready to go.

What matters is not where he died, but how he died. By becoming the first human to achieve advanced age, he also becomes a model of what an ideal death looks like.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Why? :confused:
Why do they need any assistance. If anyone wants out if life and cannot do it, then I wonder if they are living rational people
Often times people are conscious and rational, even though they appear to be in a sort of deep coma to us. They are literally trapped in a situation they want to be free of, but cannot indicate it to anyone else.