Assisted Suicide... a right?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
I never understand why if you make someone live through a terminal disease that is ultimately going to kill them, you are doing them a favor, but if your pet has the same problem putting them down is the merciful thing to do.
Yeah, makes you wonder which one they are really being humane to.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Often times people are conscious and rational, even though they appear to be in a sort of deep coma to us. They are literally trapped in a situation they want to be free of, but cannot indicate it to anyone else.

This may be why my cousin thinks ending his life is preferable. He thinks by age eighty he may lose his ability to make a decision, and be forced to live when life without advanced medical technology is near impossible.

Maybe so, and I am merely guessing.

Personally, I think God did not intend us to manage when we die, yet I am aware some differ, and some may live by an artificial concept of Christianity.

So, it is my belief and also my awareness, those who would never post on these matters have their own reasons and far from anyone ti say what they are when they simply are.

Being able to speak for myself, it seems any idea of taking ones life is to go against God's plan, yet to deny advanced life prolonging treatments seems to me, a personal choice, although it may be a moot notion?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
T
Being able to speak for myself, it seems any idea of taking ones life is to go against God's plan, yet to deny advanced life prolonging treatments seems to me, a personal choice, although it may be a moot notion?

I don't think choosing not to prolong ones life, and one outright taking ones life, are similar.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
This may be why my cousin thinks ending his life is preferable. He thinks by age eighty he may lose his ability to make a decision, and be forced to live when life without advanced medical technology is near impossible.

Maybe so, and I am merely guessing.

Personally, I think God did not intend us to manage when we die, yet I am aware some differ, and some may live by an artificial concept of Christianity.

So, it is my belief and also my awareness, those who would never post on these matters have their own reasons and far from anyone ti say what they are when they simply are.

Thanks for your thinking on this.

One way I am different is that I believe God has nothing to do with killing us or letting us die. The system of Creation, as I see it, allows our bodies to eventually give out--whether it comes from old age or from assisted suicide.

I think we all have free will. God, in my opinion, has given us that privilege. All of us make our own choice as to how we conduct the life we have.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I don't think choosing not to prolong ones life, and one outright taking ones life, are similar.

Oh that is good to hear. For me, going through this treatment is a bit hard and if I ever develop cancer, I will not take any treatment for it.

Soon my birthday will be here, before Thanksgiving and I will just a few years short of natural life expectancy, let me check.

U.S. expectancy in 2011 was 78.7 years, that would mean 4.7 years and I made it. I can do this.

No. it is 81 for women, that is both combined.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Oh that is good to hear. For me, going through this treatment is a bit hard and if I ever develop cancer, I will not take any treatment for it.

Soon my birthday will be here, before Thanksgiving and I will just a few years short of natural life expectancy, let me check.

U.S. expectancy in 2011 was 78.7 years, that would mean 4.7 years and I made it. I can do this.

Prayers for you sister.

Eric h

I watched my mum suffer with multiple sclerosis for around twenty years. She could not move her arms or legs for about ten years, everything had to be done for her. She said she wanted to die.

She went into a coma and was rushed to hospital, her breathing was a horrible gurgling sound, the doctors said she had days to live and there was nothing they could do. My mum was brought up a Catholic and though none of us went to church at the time, we thought we should call a priest, it was just going through the motions for us. As the priest prayed, her breathing changed from a horrible gurgle to a more relaxed state, minutes after the priest left my mum came round; and she lived for ano0ther eleven years.

Later she told us she was not ready to die at the time, despite all her suffering. Where the doctors failed to help her, I believe that God did through the priest.

The outcome was both a blessing and a curse, as she was still paralysed from the neck down.

glassjester

I never understand why if you make someone live through a terminal disease that is ultimately going to kill them, you are doing them a favor, but if your pet has the same problem putting them down is the merciful thing to do.

1. We "put down" animals for all kinds of reasons. You do not "put down" human beings.

2. Really? I'm making someone live through a disease? Come off it.

Question for you: If a 15 year old boy is dumped by his girlfriend, and wants to kill himself - would you try to stop him? Or would you "make" him continue living?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You are making a distinction between what I am calling psychological suicide, the feeling of impending doom. The suicide of depression, where one is overcome emotionally, and wishes to act out in harmful ways towards oneself. as if to say, " look at what pain I am in!", "oh, life is so terrible, I need to die", and there is often an accommodatingly, " I need to be cared for!"

Now compare this to am eighty year old who has been sick and thinks life has been good, but does not wish to face a painful end.

I think they are both wrong, yet there is a difference. You need to argue from the second position, or your argument lacks method and is based on sensationalism, which is usually the bases for most liberal arguments.

glassjester

You are making a distinction between what I am calling psychological suicide, the feeling of impending doom. The suicide of depression, where one is overcome emotionally, and wishes to act out in harmful ways towards oneself. as if to say, " look at what pain I am in!", "oh, life is so terrible, I need to die", and there is often an accommodatingly, " I need to be cared for!"

Now compare this to am eighty year old who has been sick and thinks life has been good, but does not wish to face a painful end.

I think they are both wrong, yet there is a difference. You need to argue from the second position, or your argument lacks method and is based on sensationalism, which is usually the bases for most liberal arguments.

So... you'd "make" the broken-hearted teen continue living?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I always do. Be civil.

Would you "make" him stay alive?

I don't understand why you do not know my answer? You do not know me at all? :confused:

I would stop any kid from suicide and everyone knows it.

The person of eighty years, sure I would try to stop, yet someone that age is going to do it unless physically prevented, and there is not civil way to do this, so, all we have is our knowing right from wrong here.

glassjester

I don't understand why you do not know my answer? You do not know me at all? :confused:

That is true. I don't know you.

I would stop any kid from suicide and everyone knows it.

Ok. Why?

The person of eighty years, sure I would try to stop, yet someone that age is going to do it unless physically prevented, and there is not civil way to do this, so, all we have is our knowing right from wrong here.

Civil discussion is a definite possibility. :)

Anyway, it seems we agree that suicide, in both cases is wrong.
I would go a step further and say that suicide should not be condoned by society. Not culturally or legally.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I agree, yet there is no way to reasonably control for it. I would also say that if I had to pick between physician assisted suicide, in cases of the old and chronically ill, and abortion I would pick making physician assisted legal if abortions made illegal.

I think law against suicide alone are more a worthless nonsense than anything else. It is the involvement of any third party where the legal issue makes sense.

An old person who wants to does will do so.

glassjester

I agree, yet there is no way to reasonably control for it. I would also say that if I had to pick between physician assisted suicide, in cases of the old and chronically ill, and abortion I would pick making physician assisted legal if abortions made illegal.

I think law against suicide alone are more a worthless nonsense than anything else.

They're far from worthless!

You make something legal and it changes public perception of that thing. Suicide will increase. It will become more and more acceptable, to a wider and wider range of people.

Now that's not a problem if you're pro-suicide. But if you know that suicide is wrong, then you most certainly should not wish to see it condoned by the law.

And once it's considered a "right" for some, it's only a matter of time before that "right" is granted to all. Even heart-broken teenagers.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
They're far from worthless!

You make something legal and it changes public perception of that thing. Suicide will increase. It will become more and more acceptable, to a wider and wider range of people.

Now that's not a problem if you're pro-suicide. But if you know that suicide is wrong, then you most certainly should not wish to see it condoned by the law.

And once it's considered a "right" for some, it's only a matter of time before that "right" is granted to all. Even heart-broken teenagers.

Has making abortion legal had any perception value, or ramification on your attitude related to it? no. and neither for me.

You mainly want to have an argument and that is not my interest here.

Suicide is something I know well, and there is hardly anytime any legal action is taken. A kid try's suicide he or she ends up in the psychiatric hospital. They are treated, and if an older adult tries it, they lose their gun possession rights for being a mental case; not prison, mental illness. An old person will know how to do it and there is no way to stop an old person who wants to die by a law.

You can impose the death penalty, but you cannot impose the life penalty! We have no laws allowing inflicting pain, so, if these old persons want to die, let them, with no sane recourse we do not want them killing innocent people to get the death penalty!

I can take the punks in the gangs, but I would not like it if some eighty year old person, who wants to die, upset over silly kids like you. Now please, see I agree with you on keeping it illegal and stopping kids from taking their lives over broken hearts, but I will not support any attempt to keep and old person for ending their life because that is God's business, not the people's business.

This is where any law on suicide is worthless, and if you knew me better you might understand.